Free Agency Thread

BStanRamFan

Just now, MDY10 said:

I wasn’t sure I wanted him back. I feel like out of the 5 OL he was the worst. He wasn’t horrible this year but I think they could have gotten a little better there. Can’t say much for that deal though. That’s cheap! 

Two things with Allen is Stafford likes him. Second a few teams we’re interested in him especially his former OC in Minny

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Some of these contracts around the league so far…..my goodness. Dissley and Kirk got PAID. 

Unreal!! For Jacksonville I’m assuming they have to overpay everyone to convince them to sign. Hopefully he didn’t just reset the market because Kupp will need 84mil a year at this rate lol

[Field Yates] The Rams didn’t have a first or second round pick in 2018. And yet, they drafted 4 dudes who have already gotten paid legit money: OT Joseph Noteboom: 3-years, $40M C Brian Allen: 3-years, $24M DE John Franklin-Myers: 4-years, $55M DT Sebastian Joseph-Day: 3-years, $24M

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

[Field Yates] The Rams didn’t have a first or second round pick in 2018. And yet, they drafted 4 dudes who have already gotten paid legit money: OT Joseph Noteboom: 3-years, $40M C Brian Allen: 3-years, $24M DE John Franklin-Myers: 4-years, $55M DT Sebastian Joseph-Day: 3-years, $24M

The rest of that draft class Wasn’t much of a miss either. Most contributed a decent amount this year while a couple were traded or active at some point. 

On 3/13/2022 at 3:57 AM, Flounch said:

It's strange that he didn't call retirement yet....but it might be the best choice for him. 

I mean, he has won a SB against his former team, he can't do better than this.

Granted, OL tend to slim down in retirement, but it typically takes 18 months or so for the body transformation to be truly visible.  So this may end up being for the best.  If something happens to Noteboom mid-season and we're looking poised to make another deep run, I can see Whit considering coming out of retirement for a "shortened-season" if his body feels up to it (and to be honest, his body could use a good 9 months to heal up some).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Two things with Allen is Stafford likes him. Second a few teams we’re interested in him especially his former OC in Minny

Contract is also probably structured (as many of ours tend to be with an out-of-sorts after Y2).  Given we'll be filling 1 IOL spot (with someone to compete with Shelton/Anchrum at absolute minimum) this offseason and Edwards' future is still with no long-term deal in place, I wouldn't be surprised to see us look at versatile IOL (with projectability to center - or that can be groomed to play there) in the draft/UDFA given that our tackle spots are settled for, presumably the next 2 seasons (i.e. until at least we have another 1RP).

Also, worth noting.  I wouldn't bank on it, but outside of less-than-desirable length, the main knock on Anchrum as a prospect was his lack of experience at guard despite being a pretty obvious candidate to need to move there - due to said lack of length; he'd been a pretty unmoveable object at RT for Clemson.  It took David Edwards a year to really acclimate to the transition, so it will be interesting to see how Anchrum does similarly.

Edited by Dr LBC

15 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Contract is also probably structured (as many of ours tend to be with an out-of-sorts after Y2).  Given we'll be filling 1 IOL spot (with someone to compete with Shelton/Anchrum at absolute minimum) this offseason and Edwards' future is still with no long-term deal in place, I wouldn't be surprised to see us look at versatile IOL (with projectability to center - or that can be groomed to play there) in the draft/UDFA given that our tackle spots are settled for, presumably the next 2 seasons (i.e. until at least we have another 1RP).

Also, worth noting.  I wouldn't bank on it, but outside of less-than-desirable length, the main knock on Anchrum as a prospect was his lack of experience at guard despite being a pretty obvious candidate to need to move there - due to said lack of length; he'd been a pretty unmoveable object at RT for Clemson.  It took David Edwards a year to really acclimate to the transition, so it will be interesting to see how Anchrum does similarly.

I'll toss out a couple names: Luke Fortner and Zach Tom.

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'll toss out a couple names: Luke Fortner and Zach Tom.

I actually think Tom's future is at center.  Ironically, his past is at center but it's very likely his most projectable pro-position.  I'll also be interested to see what all development Alaric Jackson has accrued over the past year.  The guy was always a quality zone-blocker especially in the run-game, not too dissimilar to Edwards, so at the very least I think he could be in a position to backup DE next season.

• Like 2