Come down to earth Combine 2022 draft

Big T

Okay as I post results are starting to come in concerning measurements, weight, height, wing span, and among other things hand size (I'll leave that one alone).

Then there is the smoke and mirrors of GM's and Coaches on who they will draft and who is the consensus number 1 pick, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

But lets get real here, lets look at some of the guy's the Jets should really be looking at positions that "clearly" make them better without all the drama surrounding these players.

1. Do you draft a guy like Keyvon T. if you have questions about his motor, and desire for the game and all the baggage that comes from drafting him so high when he disappears in some games.

2. Do we really need a guy like Hamilton at S who's impact is minimal if your using a team perspective, or do you draft the best corner in the draft a player who will impact wins and losses?

In most cases at DE/OLB you toss the dice and as we have seen in the past guy's drafted in later rounds wind up being the better players. That doesn't mean that any of the top DE's/OLB's will not live up to the potential they exhibit. But if your the Jets do you take the chance or wait until the later rounds 2-3 to address that need.

3. OL, okay now were getting into the meat and potatoes of this draft, the big molly's are deep in the draft and in at lease 2 of these cases no brainers. Ekwonu and Neal, but I would be amiss if I did not mention Cross.

This is as close as your going to get to can't miss prospects with 10 year NFL Careers, Pro Bowl potential talent. 

4. Another group that is emerging strong is the WR class, so do we panic and draft one high or wait and grab a WR in the second round as we did with Moore and snag another diamond/ jewel that falls into our lap.

5. TE seems to be deep in the draft, the Jets could potentially draft a guy in round 4 who is just as good as a guy in round 2 yet without all the fanfare.

So putting aside all the talk, evaluations, and obvious needs by our team. Our first 2 picks need to be plug and play individuals, so with that in mind if the Jets really want to make an impact and avoid all the scrutiny which comes from the fan base. 

Let us as fan's and those more knowledgeable than I about the nuances of the game set up a draft at least with our first 2 picks which we would have to say we did good.

1. Ekwonu/ Neal....nothing to be turned upside down about, no brainer, 10 year players both.

2.Ahmad Gardner CB....Lets be real here, unless we can swing a trade for a pro bowl CB. This guy fits the bill.

So with the first two picks in the draft we make our OL almost elite, and we shore up a CB position which was a porous as any I have ever seen.

Round 2

We know the Jets defense was the worse in 2022, our LB's were especially bad with the exception of Mosely and to be truthful here. Had Mosely had some quality OLB's who knows how much more effective he could have been not having to cover the entire field. Let us also remember our D line with Fatukasi who took a step back, however I love his heart and character and dedication to the team and a team leader.

The D line needs to be addressed.

3/4 picks in any order you would like...

Winfrey, Mafe,Wyatt, Ebikteie. 

Now in round 3 you have one pick a TE would make sense here, as well as a LB, but I think if we sign a top TE in FA, LB is the pick here.

3. But the Jets do something to boost the Offense here and draft Alec Pierce WR 

Now were at round 4 of the draft, everyone is screaming for a TE ALREADY!!!!!! Your shocked that guys you thought would be drafted already are still on the board.

Round 4 Chad Muma is to good to pass up/ Leo Chenal could also fall, I love this guy's motor but he is an ILB and Muma an OLB. Muma could be a plug and play individual talent and Chanal a future replacement for Mosely.

Still in round 4 the Jets finally draft a TE Greg Dultch 

Round 5 the Jets begin to address RB and S

ZonOvan Knight RB N.C. and Smoke Monday/ you have the option of picking the players of your choice here.

Recap.

1.Ekwonu or Neal

1a Sauce Garner

2 and 2b Winfrey, Mafe,Wyatt, Ebikteie. DT/DE

3. Pierce WR

4 Muma/Chenal LB

4b Greg Dultch TE

5 Knight RB

5b S.Monday S

Lets not get into FA, as we all know the FA signings or lack thereof will dictate our draft immensely, as will the unforeseen possibility of drafting back/ or up to grab a talent deemed good enough to give up assets .

So lets not as an organization waste draft capitol on questionable players with questionable character issues and grab the sure thing. Then if said player is available latter in the draft and you want to take a risk then go for it.

Sauce has catapulted himself into the top of the draft order. The Jets are rumored to draft him if he's available. But here's something to consider, if a team wants Sauce and they are sure the Jets will draft him it presents a great opportunity to amass some significant draft capitol in return. 

I would love to draft one of Neal, Ekwonu or Hutchinson with the No. 4 pick. I think there is a chance that could happen. One of the top three teams might get an offer from a QB-needy team, which could put us in a position to draft a lineman. 

If we land an O-lineman at 4, then I would definitely have interest in Thibodeaux at 10. Or a CB like Gardner works too. 

The first order of business should be to beef up, however.

On 3/8/2022 at 5:52 AM, Big T said:

Sauce has catapulted himself into the top of the draft order. The Jets are rumored to draft him if he's available. But here's something to consider, if a team wants Sauce and they are sure the Jets will draft him it presents a great opportunity to amass some significant draft capitol in return. 

Oh God not draft capitol again talk. At some point you have to make a move use the picks and start to BUILD instead of REBUILD YEARS DOWN THE ROAD!!!!

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Oh God not draft capitol again talk. At some point you have to make a move use the picks and start to BUILD instead of REBUILD YEARS DOWN THE ROAD!!!!

Guess you didn't care for last years draft?

The only Defensive player I want @ 4 is Kayvon Thibodeaux; by far my favorite player within this draft class. 

Not only do I think he's got All-Pro potential but I feel he's got Generational All-Time greatness types of Pass Rushing potential. 

One of the most special talents I've ever witnessed coming out of college. 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

On 3/9/2022 at 9:52 PM, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

The only Defensive player I want @ 4 is Kayvon Thibodeaux; by far my favorite player within this draft class. 

Not only do I think he's got All-Pro potential but I feel he's got Generational All-Time greatness types of Pass Rushing potential. 

One of the most special talents I've ever witnessed coming out of college. 

Vernon Golston 2? OR Clowney 2? This is a guy who doesn't want to go to a team which has a state tax and is concerned about his brand. Just to give you a bit of an insight into his pre draft thinking at the combine, he pulled out of it after his 40 time, he was too exhausted.

Pass, thank you, Hutch or K man at least will give you all they have. Johnson is a guy I would go after at pick 10

33 minutes ago, Big T said:

Vernon Golston 2? OR Clowney 2? This is a guy who doesn't want to go to a team which has a state tax and is concerned about his brand. Just to give you a bit of an insight into his pre draft thinking at the combine, he pulled out of it after his 40 time, he was too exhausted.

Pass, thank you, Hutch or K man at least will give you all they have. Johnson is a guy I would go after at pick 10

He is taking investment seriously so I guess he smokes a lot.  That may explain why his motor is in grave question. lol

I like Thibs or hutch at one if they are there. If both, I'd lean Thibs.

If neither I'm hoping a team is hungry to move up for a QB.

If not, I'm probably taking Hamilton over a tackle. We desperately need a ball hawk in our secondary. Someone that can actually generate turnovers. If we sign Jackson I'd be more open to offensive lineman here.

I know what I'm about to say next is super hypocritical, but I would not draft sauce or another cb at 10. Outside of Revis we have been awful at identifying cbs in the first round. I'd much rather Grab two or three in the middle to late rounds instead. Give me a playmaker at wr there especially since we should have the pick of the litter. 

I'd then take an offensive lineman and McBride in the second.

2 hours ago, drew39k said:

Outside of Revis we have been awful at identifying cbs in the first round

I get your viewpoint but this is not Idzik drafting an injured Millner or Tanny drafting Wilson at 29. Sauce has actually played exceptional for two years. That said, I am not sure how he would fit in our zone D. He has played strictly man. Personally, I’d draft him at 10 if he is there (doubtful) and adjust the scheme to allow him to play man. Has there ever been a hybrid D whereby one CB plays man while the rest of the DB’s play zone?

Thumbs up for the Hamilton love. Too many are over concerned with positional value and not concerned enough with drafting blue chip prospects.

19 hours ago, xrade said:

I get your viewpoint but this is not Idzik drafting an injured Millner or Tanny drafting Wilson at 29. Sauce has actually played exceptional for two years. That said, I am not sure how he would fit in our zone D. He has played strictly man. Personally, I’d draft him at 10 if he is there (doubtful) and adjust the scheme to allow him to play man. Has there ever been a hybrid D whereby one CB plays man while the rest of the DB’s play zone?

Thumbs up for the Hamilton love. Too many are over concerned with positional value and not concerned enough with drafting blue chip prospects.

I think you have a fair take regarding CB. Ultimately,you can only break a trend of drafting poor at a position by drafting well at the position. Though,  I'd still prefer getting the top wr available to us and going cb later. I just feel like the players available at the top or the wr pool are all very explosive. Pairing them with Moore and carter while grabbing a te too could really set Wilson up for success in year two. 

I feel like our line is better than burrows was last year and should only get better as they develop chemistry together. If we can get players that can get open Wilson may be able to get the ball out quicker and hit on some big plays.

19 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Though,  I'd still prefer getting the top wr available to us and going cb later

I would like to draft a good WR prospect so that the Jets will have a good tandem of Moore and whomever for a couple of years. My issue with drafting one at 10 is that there is no clear cut “top” WR. If there was, draft him at 10 and don’t look back. IMHO, there are about 5 WR who are all worthy of being the 1st selected. If that is true, why draft one at 10 if you can maybe get a very similar player at 35?  The gamble, of course, is what if they are all gone by 35.  Ideally, we are able to trade down a bit and get one of those 5 WR.

I think it is more about the perception of drafting the first WR at 10 knowing a similarly skilled player is available later. This is one of the things that separates a good GM from a poor one. 

59 minutes ago, xrade said:

I would like to draft a good WR prospect so that the Jets will have a good tandem of Moore and whomever for a couple of years. My issue with drafting one at 10 is that there is no clear cut “top” WR. If there was, draft him at 10 and don’t look back. IMHO, there are about 5 WR who are all worthy of being the 1st selected. If that is true, why draft one at 10 if you can maybe get a very similar player at 35?  The gamble, of course, is what if they are all gone by 35.  Ideally, we are able to trade down a bit and get one of those 5 WR.

I think it is more about the perception of drafting the first WR at 10 knowing a similarly skilled player is available later. This is one of the things that separates a good GM from a poor one. 

My view is that we may feel like all 5 are similarly ranked, but the organization may feel one or two are better or may fit what we need or desire more. By picking first we aren't relegated to picking to one that the other teams passed on(if any fall). I'd much rather be in the position to get the guy the organization likes best and fits our needs most. 

I'm not personally a professional scouting department or privy to private interviews and workouts. I'd like to think the team will be in a better position to debate between Williams Wilson London olave and Burks. 

16 hours ago, xrade said:

Sauce may go in the top 3, Hamilton is going to slide perhaps to the Jets at 10. The draft is deep with ER so they are not pressed into grabbing one in the first round. We are in a good position to grab a Pro Bowl calibre OL with the first pick. I think the Jets are sitting pretty at 4 and anything can happen. I think at this juncture of the draft everything is up in the air especially if OL are taken 1 and 2.