TCMD '18 GM mock draft build (open discussion)

ny92mike

Rule changes for RFA & Tag Offer Sheets

RFA Tenders

• The contract length is a max 3 year for all RFA tenders.
  • Contract APY is the amount of the tender type.
  • The preferred signing bonus will show as zero, but you can offer any amount.

Tag Tenders

• Contract length must match the player's preferred length.
  • Contract APY is the higher number, either the Tagged amount or the player's expected APY.
  • The signing bonus must be greater than or equal to the players listed SB amount.

Any questions or concerns post them.

I'm currently working on the free agency workbook to include the offer sheets.  So far its working out but depending on if it slows the calculation process will determine if I continue.

Is it me or is no one even interested in this mock draft stuff this year?  All I'm looking for is feedback.  You guys know that I put a tremendous amount of time into these mock drafts, but I'm trying to create a better system and this thread is silent.  

If the silence is because you think it's too early to be discussing this, I beg you to rethink.  As you know I'm rebuilding the docs this year, in hopes of streamlining the docs, eliminating some loopholes and introducing some new features.  All of this takes time and testing to ensure the formula errors are removed and that the docs mirror the guidelines.  

Just setting up the player info (APY / grades), salary cap, tag numbers, draftees is done a few weeks out from the start date.  These things can't be done early as most of the data isn't available until just weeks before the mock starts.  

Attempting to do what I'm doing now later in the year is just putting a greater unnecessary workload on myself, when I could be spending the time now to do this.  Once the docs are created, going back to change a formula to add a rule or just a mistake on my part is usually done with the help of someone else that typically leads to an all nighter.

So please with sugar on top, help me out with some feedback.

If we aren't interested in running total control let me know so I'm not wasting my time in this forum.

Thanks

Mike

On 11/14/2017 at 3:14 PM, ny92jefferis said:

Rule changes for RFA & Tag Offer Sheets

RFA Tenders

• The contract length is a max 3 year for all RFA tenders.
  • Contract APY is the amount of the tender type.
  • The preferred signing bonus will show as zero, but you can offer any amount.

Tag Tenders

• Contract length must match the player's preferred length.
  • Contract APY is the higher number, either the Tagged amount or the player's expected APY.
  • The signing bonus must be greater than or equal to the players listed SB amount.

Any questions or concerns post them.

I'm currently working on the free agency workbook to include the offer sheets.  So far its working out but depending on if it slows the calculation process will determine if I continue.

Can you give an example of the bold?  That's the only one where I have a few questions about it.

12 minutes ago, winitall said:

Can you give an example of the bold?  That's the only one where I have a few questions about it.

Sure, so in many cases the figure I've created to act as the player's expected APY (EAPY) is higher than the tendered amount, which varies depending on the type of tender applied ie, Right of First Refusal 1st rnd comp. to that of a 2nd round comp. 

I thought changing the rule to just take the tender amount and restrict it to no more than a 3 year deal, it would prevent teams from signing potentially a quality player to a long term deal for a lesser amount.  This new rule would max out at 3 years, and still provide the player a decent contract amount, should someone wish to make a offer sheet.

Remember this is just for offer sheets, should the player not receive an offer sheet, the contract is a one year deal only and the tender amount is fully guaranteed base salary.  

14 hours ago, ny92jefferis said:

Sure, so in many cases the figure I've created to act as the player's expected APY (EAPY) is higher than the tendered amount, which varies depending on the type of tender applied ie, Right of First Refusal 1st rnd comp. to that of a 2nd round comp. 

I thought changing the rule to just take the tender amount and restrict it to no more than a 3 year deal, it would prevent teams from signing potentially a quality player to a long term deal for a lesser amount.  This new rule would max out at 3 years, and still provide the player a decent contract amount, should someone wish to make a offer sheet.

Remember this is just for offer sheets, should the player not receive an offer sheet, the contract is a one year deal only and the tender amount is fully guaranteed base salary.  

The part I’m struggling with is why in this situation the player would sign the offer sheet. I’m going to try and give an example of what I mean.

tender: 1 year, 900k

offer sheet: 3 years, 2.7 million, no signing bonus

In this scenario I see no reason why the player would agree to that offer sheet. He is making no extra money in year 1 and has nothing guaranteed. If he outplays the contract he is stuck on a small 3 year deal instead of being an UFA. If he underperforms he is cut and hasn’t made any more money than he would have with the offer sheet. 

Would there be any way to mandate that parts of year 2 or 3 had to be guaranteed?  This would at least provide some help in reasoning why a player would take the deal. 

4 minutes ago, winitall said:

The part I’m struggling with is why in this situation the player would sign the offer sheet. I’m going to try and give an example of what I mean.

tender: 1 year, 900k

offer sheet: 3 years, 2.7 million, no signing bonus

In this scenario I see no reason why the player would agree to that offer sheet. He is making no extra money in year 1 and has nothing guaranteed. If he outplays the contract he is stuck on a small 3 year deal instead of being an UFA. If he underperforms he is cut and hasn’t made any more money than he would have with the offer sheet. 

Would there be any way to mandate that parts of year 2 or 3 had to be guaranteed?  This would at least provide some help in reasoning why a player would take the deal. 

I see your point.  I was hoping that reducing the number of years to 3 would resolve this, but you're right it doesn't.  Even if parts of the contract were guaranteed, it really doesn't resolve the idea that a potential starter is getting paid a minimal salary on a 3 year deal, even if the tendered offer was a first round which last year that amount was roughly $3,910,000. 

What if we increased the required min APY to no less than 150% of the tender amount in addition a signing bonus is applied that is comparable to what players at that position are receiving with that price point APY.    

Tender Offered Tender Amount 150% Increase
ROFR - No Comp. $1,415,610 $2,123,415
ROFR - Orig. Draft Rnd. Comp. $1,531,170 $2,296,755
ROFR - 2nd Rnd. Comp. $2,340,090 $3,510,135
ROFR - 1st Rnd. Comp. $3,330,910 $4,996,365

The percentage increase could be higher or lower.  

Could decrease the contract length to 2 or less but I think doing so could turn GM's off from even making offer sheets.

Thoughts?  

On 11/17/2017 at 2:42 PM, ny92jefferis said:

I see your point.  I was hoping that reducing the number of years to 3 would resolve this, but you're right it doesn't.  Even if parts of the contract were guaranteed, it really doesn't resolve the idea that a potential starter is getting paid a minimal salary on a 3 year deal, even if the tendered offer was a first round which last year that amount was roughly $3,910,000. 

What if we increased the required min APY to no less than 150% of the tender amount in addition a signing bonus is applied that is comparable to what players at that position are receiving with that price point APY.    

Tender Offered Tender Amount 150% Increase
ROFR - No Comp. $1,415,610 $2,123,415
ROFR - Orig. Draft Rnd. Comp. $1,531,170 $2,296,755
ROFR - 2nd Rnd. Comp. $2,340,090 $3,510,135
ROFR - 1st Rnd. Comp. $3,330,910 $4,996,365

The percentage increase could be higher or lower.  

Could decrease the contract length to 2 or less but I think doing so could turn GM's off from even making offer sheets.

Thoughts?  

That new system sounds good. I think it would make things much more reasonable. I think you can leave the contract length with the 3 year maximum. The impact from people trying to abuse it would most likely be negligible and it does help some with realism and encouraging people to make offer sheets. 

26 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Can I get in this and get the Jets if possible? If not I’ll take another team but prefer the Jets.

Cool.  I usually post sign ups early to mid Feb.  

I also typically run two mocks a year so if you don't get the jets in one you'll likely land them in the next.

I am very much interested in participating and helping running your mocks again this year but for me 

1) Eagles are in the midst of a potential deep playoff run, so I am kind of enjoying that

2) While I appreciate all the math you put into it, it is not my forte at all and I am pretty much good with whatever you decide to do. I'll be happy to put in all the time writing and promoting and putting the shine on all the hard mathy work.

53 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I am very much interested in participating and helping running your mocks again this year but for me 

1) Eagles are in the midst of a potential deep playoff run, so I am kind of enjoying that

2) While I appreciate all the math you put into it, it is not my forte at all and I am pretty much good with whatever you decide to do. I'll be happy to put in all the time writing and promoting and putting the shine on all the hard mathy work.

1.  I don't blame you.  I've been looking at a top 5 pick for several weeks now and they are trying to take that from me.

2.  The majority of the math stuff is resolved.  Just looking to make some minor changes like the rfa tender offer information a few post up and currently looking at if we should limit the number of fa bids per round from 3 to 2 or remove the resign offer.

I'll make another post explaining.

10 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

1.  I don't blame you.  I've been looking at a top 5 pick for several weeks now and they are trying to take that from me.

2.  The majority of the math stuff is resolved.  Just looking to make some minor changes like the rfa tender offer information a few post up and currently looking at if we should limit the number of fa bids per round from 3 to 2 or remove the resign offer.

I'll make another post explaining.

I dont see many rfa's get an extension during the season IRL 

Archived