TCMD '18 GM mock draft build (open discussion)

ny92mike

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

You can do an elevator pitch no problem.  Is there something from last year that can be used, tweaked?

Any material I've got that really goes into any depth, are comparisons between how ffmd and tcmd differed.

I'll ask again about PFF membership.

My membership expired last year, and I'm trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial to sign up for the elite membership for a month at 34.99 or the basic package at 39.99.  Benefits to the elite membership is that I can CSV download the player rankings and those rankings are for 2016 and 2017 where as the basic is just the current year, which is why I had to use Madden ratings because injured players would be undervalued.  If having both years, I could take the best rankings and use that number.

Downside is the elite membership at 34.99 is only for one month, so that means I'd have to copy the data as fast as possible, because I'm just not willing to spend any more than 40 bucks on you sob's...haha.

Donations are welcome...again I laugh out loud.  

Here is the thread from the old site

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585802

WELCOME TO TOTAL CONTROL MOCK DRAFT 

Hello! Welcome to the Total Control Mock Draft. This is a full scale offseason mock with free agency and the draft. This is an individual mock where the GM will have full autonomy to run their team how they wish. However, we’d like to expand the knowledge of our mock to the entire Football’s Future world, so the mock as the option to expand to your subforum where you can get suggestions, ideas and feedback from others while they get a chance to look and see what TCM is all about. Look through our overview of the mock below and we hope you join us! The mock is looking to begin on February 19th! 

Below are some basic ground rules of the mock, however as the General Manager GM, you will need to review the complete set of that will be up in the League Office Thread. 

League Office Thread 
- All transactions must be posted in the LEAGUE OFFICE thread in order to become official. 
-Every player in this mock has a corresponding 4 digit code. YOU MUST INCLUDE THIS 4 DIGIT PLAYER CODE WHEN POSTING ANY TRANSACTION. 
-We will update all transactions within the official docs. 
-You are responsible for updating your own personal Roster Docs 
-No discussion within the League Office Thread 

The Docs 
-As the GM, you will receive a google workbook containing 3 google sheets, these sheets are the backbone of this mock draft. 

COPY OF PERSONAL TEAM ROSTER 
-This doc has your entire roster on it. This is where you can work on your roster UNOFFICIALLY. You use this doc to keep track of your own transactions and salary cap. It also contains future years’ salary cap information. You are responsible for updating this doc. 

TRANSACTION WORKBOOK 
-This is your ultimate free agency doc. Here is where you build contracts for ERFA’s, RFA’s, Franchise Tags, Free Agency Bidding, and Reserve Bidding. 

WAR ROOM DOC 
-This is the docs to end all docs. In this doc you can view your Official Team Roster, Draft Board, a General Manager listing, Depth Chart Doc and several other docs you may find useful in organizing your team. 
-If you have any questions about the docs, don’t live in shame! ASK! There are several posters who will help you out. 
-If you are planning to use a mobile device you will need to download a Google Doc app. 

Discussion Thread 
-Discuss and debate, but don’t be a turd. Nobody likes a turd. 
-Discussion should stay out of all other threads 
-Don’t create additional threads for this mock without permission 

Sub-Forum War Room Thread 
-Total Control Mock Draft is an Individual Mock 
-It is our goal to grow TCM into a forum wide mock. Our first step in this is asking all GM’s to post a War Room Thread in their team’s sub forum. This thread will allow others who are fans of your team to follow the moves you make and check out what we are doing here without the pressure of a role or a job. It also, provides the fans of the team to provide suggestions or potentially help scout players. 
-The GM will have autonomy on all decisions, the War Room Thread will just help spark discussion and debate. 
-If you decide to have other members of your sub-forum help you, you are free to do so, but the assigned GM is the only one who can post transactions. 
-Here is a sample of a War Room Thread http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=584853&start=0 

Free Agency 
-Free Agency Bidding occurs in rounds. 
-All Free Agents are available to receive contract offers, from the first to the last round of fa bidding. 
-Each team gets 3 UFA Bids and 1 Resign Bid per round. 
-You do not have the option of resigning any of your own players before free agency begins. 
-To sign a player you must build a contract in the Transaction Workbook by the deadline date for each Free Agency bidding Round 
-3 Factors go into whether or not you win a player: 
Average Per Year (APY) Salary - each player is assigned an Average Per Year Salary that you must match or exceed. If the contract you build does not meet the player’s APY demands your contract will not count. 
Signing Bonus- Every player is assigned a Signing Bonus number that they desire. The more signing bonus you offer the more likely you are to be awarded the player. You can offer a player less signing bonus than he is asking for, but that will decrease the chances of you being awarded that player. 
Contract Length desired- Each player is assigned a number of year(s) he desires. Your contract will not be counted if you build a contract that exceeds that number. You can offer the player less years than he desires but that will decrease the chances of you being awarded that player. 
A player’s APY decreases 10% or until he hits vet min every round he goes unsigned. 

Reserve Bidding 
-As stated above, you cannot resign any players before Free Agency begins. 
-However, there are 6 contact slots for submitting reserve bids on last years players within the fa. 
-Reserve bids are not active Resign bids, they are passive bids that only trigger if another team bids on your player or you use one of your allotted three UFA bids. 
-If another team bids on your player and your Reserve Bid is higher than their UFA bid then you are awarded the player. If the other team’s bid is higher than your Reserve Bid then the other team is awarded the player 
You can create a contract as a reserve bid that come in under APY. You can continuously adjust your Reserve Bids until the player is signed. 
Reserve Bids do have a benefit in that, when evaluating the winning bids, reserve bids receive a 7% increase in APY. 

The Draft Thread 
-Each draft slot will be 40 minutes in length. 
-There is a Draft Board Doc that will keep track of what players have been drafted. When you pick a player, you must post the player’s code along with it when you post your pick in the Draft Thread 
-All draft trades must be posted in the League Office Thread and must contain the overall pick number. 
-The first pick of the day, can now make their selection after the last pick of the night draft slot has expired. Meaning that the last pick of the night no longer has the luxury of sitting on their slot overnight. 

Awards Thread 
-We will be doing End of Mock Awards to validate or discredit all of your real fake hard work 
-In order to be considered for Awards you must fit into the follow criteria: 
You must have an updated Sub-forum War Room Thread with all of your off season moves and team depth chart 
You must have at least a 70 man active roster count at the completion of the UDFA period 
You were late on no more than 2 draft selections 

50 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

I'll ask again about PFF membership.

My membership expired last year, and I'm trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial to sign up for the elite membership for a month at 34.99 or the basic package at 39.99.  Benefits to the elite membership is that I can CSV download the player rankings and those rankings are for 2016 and 2017 where as the basic is just the current year, which is why I had to use Madden ratings because injured players would be undervalued.  If having both years, I could take the best rankings and use that number.

Downside is the elite membership at 34.99 is only for one month, so that means I'd have to copy the data as fast as possible, because I'm just not willing to spend any more than 40 bucks on you sob's...haha.

Donations are welcome...again I laugh out loud.  

I have debated myself.... I would not go deep into debt for a sim that you put on for free (awesome sim BTW)

EDIT: Can you get player ratings from the team pages? Like this one...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/teams/houston-texans/13/roster

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

For TCMD, is there going to be an encouragement to get more members of the team forum involved in the process?

If so, would offer site chat groups (Slack, groupme, etc) be considered as a way to mass communicate in a secure private manner with those other forum members.

I would like to use it as a possible test to see if allowing that increases the ability to get more members involved in the forum wide GM mock process.

The GM will continue to have control over if he/she wants to include other members into their teams war room.  I was just looking for some ideas that would promote a better system for those think tanks.  The vast majority of our GM's want it to remain an individual mock draft where they and they alone are making the decisions for their team.  So no, I'm not looking to create a forum wide mock draft such as ffmd created, just trying to give a little help to the few members that are making it a group effort.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Speaking of the "defunked" FFMD, has there been any discussion as to the likelihood of that happening for 2018?

Not that I've heard, but last year we didn't hear much talk until a couple weeks before they posted up the sign up sheet.  So its possible they could be discussing it within a private moderator only thread.  Once I get our start dates nailed down, I'll inquire to find out if we need to adjust our dates to accommodate the forums mock draft.

2 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I have debated myself.... I would not go deep into debt for a sim that you put on for free (awesome sim BTW)

EDIT: Can you get player ratings from the team pages? Like this one...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/teams/houston-texans/13/roster

Unfortunately not.  I need to have a listing type view so that I can pull large amounts of data at a single time, trying to pull info one individual at a time would be a monstrous task, not worth the headache.  

CBS's rankings are ok but the biggest issue why I haven't used them in the past is because they don't grade out offensive lineman, gotta have those grades as well.

Appreciate you looking into it though.

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Biggest trouble will be coming up with a "snapshot description" of the mock. 

If you can give me a general idea of what you're wanting it to convey, I don't have much going on over the next few days and could put together a rough draft.  I think it would be nice to add some images of the workbooks into the mix.

8 hours ago, ny92jefferis said:

If you can give me a general idea of what you're wanting it to convey, I don't have much going on over the next few days and could put together a rough draft.  I think it would be nice to add some images of the workbooks into the mix.

I can try and do it tomorrow. Ill adapt what squire posted that i wrote from the other thread. Im going to make it very bare bones description as to not overwhelm with the details. Then we can answer questions if people want more details. 

Okay guys I need a second opinion on how to work in base guarantees when creating the contracts for free agency.

Note:  For this workbook, you'll notice that the fa list is from last years,  

The concern I had when creating these is that base guarantees is invisible monies, in terms of how they impact the yearly cap number.  For example, lets look at Fletcher Cox' contract in 2018.  His cap number is 17.9 million containing 11.5 in base salary and 6.4 million in signing bonus, in addition to that he is guaranteed the entire amount of his base salary, 11.5 million yet the impact it has on the current year doesn't change, making it extremely difficult to factor into determining the highest bid.  If we allowed this, teams would simply max out the base guarantees, essentially using salaries that have no effect on the cap.  

https://overthecap.com/player/fletcher-cox/1824/

To make the base guarantees, its money needs to account for real value in the yearly cap number, to do so I'm using the contract's roster bonus as well as limits on how much can be applied as "base guarantees".  The first two years of the contract you're allowed to use 100% of the base salary amount you enter, year 3 is 75% of the base salary, and year 4 50%.  

You'll want to account for these guarantees as they carry more value than the base salary number alone.  

Give this workbook a look over at how the base guarantees will work, using the Roster bonus column

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RtcmJjcZzbss7Q2BugaiW-bUHu2DTR7NP3Pdtz_ZZ88/edit?usp=sharing

Just a heads up after discussing the base guarantees with the free agency bidding, we feel that it would cause more harm than good.  For a single season mock draft, trying to work in base guarantees that have no impact on the current years cap is more or less fake money that would ultimately lead to differences of opinion when awarding teams with players.

We will continue to keep these guarantees for players currently on the roster, as that has been worked out and forces more game planning when releasing players, but for a single season mock draft, using base guarantees just doesn't work at this time.

Archived