2022 Offseason Discussion

Free Agency starts in a month so Berry and staff have already started the process.  First our FA’s need to be evaluated especially Clowney and Njodku.  Dante Fowler and some other players have been released so they are available now.  Cap space will be an important variable this year and Browns are in good position to upgrade the roster.  Some NFL analysts believe priority of needs are a key factor yet money talks.  Berry has demonstrated and stated he will be aggressive yet not overpay.  Many Browns enthusiasts believe WR, DE, DT are needs we will immediately address in FA.  I believe that to be the case albeit Berry has shown he likes to complete the roster before the draft.  My gut feeling is we sign Njodku and Clowney goes elsewhere for money.  Also, capologists will cut Landry, Hopper, and Keenum to augment cap space.  Several other players will be released when it benefits the Browns.  Lastly, our special teams play was lowest in the league and needs to be addressed.  Over the years FA has not been as effective as draft and trades but Berry has done an excellent job so far.  Several forum members have identified some key free agents like Williams WR and Hicks DT.  What do you think makes sense in FA?

I think we resign Njoku, I think we restructure Hooper, I think we Cut Landry, we Tender Johnson for a 2nd round level. I dont think anymore major cuts are coming, I think Kennum restructures........Clowney is the only wild card, I think he wants to stay, but like a read an article the other day.....I am will to pay him 10-12M a year with some nice incentives sprinkled in.....would he stay for 11.5 if someone is offering 15M? I would also like MJ Stewart back, but I see a team giving him Moderate money to come in and play that Slot/Safety roll...a team like KC, if they dont sign Mathieu....

But Simple for me DT: Tim Settle is my #1 Target

Then WR's in this Order: (Allen Robinson, DJ Charke) give me one of these two, DeDe Westbrook, Christain Kirk, and Auden Tate (Give me 1 of these)\...I dont think we are in the running for Mike Williams, Devonte Adams, Godwin or Gallup..........maybe someone that we didnt see coming gets cut loose.

santa-wish.gif

Edited by DaWg_LB.

14 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I think we resign Njoku, I think we restructure Hooper, I think we Cut Landry, we Tender Johnson for a 2nd round level. I dont think anymore major cuts are coming, I think Kennum restructures........Clowney is the only wild card, I think he wants to stay, but like a read an article the other day.....I am will to pay him 10-12M a year with some nice incentives sprinkled in.....would he stay for 11.5 if someone is offering 15M? I would also like MJ Stewart back, but I see a team giving him Moderate money to come in and play that Slot/Safety roll...a team like KC, if they dont sign Mathieu....

But Simple for me DT: Tim Settle is my #1 Target

Then WR's in this Order: (Allen Robinson, DJ Charke) give me one of these two, DeDe Westbrook, Christain Kirk, and Auden Tate (Give me 1 of these)\...I dont think we are in the running for Mike Williams, Devonte Adams, Godwin or Gallup..........maybe someone that we didnt see coming gets cut loose.

santa-wish.gif

In regards to the TE's, I see that you say it's what you think will happen, and maybe it's what you would like to happen?  I would let both Njoku and Hooper walk, and keep Bryant.  I would then get one in FA, and one in the draft!  jmho

4 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

In regards to the TE's, I see that you say it's what you think will happen, and maybe it's what you would like to happen?  I would let both Njoku and Hooper walk, and keep Bryant.  I would then get one in FA, and one in the draft!  jmho

I would like to see Hooper Restructured, his cap hit is almost a wash for this year....Cap hit vs the saving is what 2M bucks? We have a coach who's offense is built around TE's, with DT, DE, OT depth, LB and an Entire WR coprs to rebuild...we dont need to create another hole that we need to patch this offseason....

As Far as Njoku, it would be an ABSOLUTE mistake if we let him go...he's finally coming into his own, and its not time to let him go now. Especially with him WANTING to be Brown...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I would like to see Hooper Restructured, his cap hit is almost a wash for this year....Cap hit vs the saving is what 2M bucks? We have a coach who's offense is built around TE's, with DT, DE, OT depth, LB and an Entire WR coprs to rebuild...we dont need to create another hole that we need to patch this offseason....

As Far as Njoku, it would be an ABSOLUTE mistake if we let him go...he's finally coming into his own, and its not time to let him go now. Especially with him WANTING to be Brown...

Njoku had 36 for 475 and 4 td's...i know i know that Baker wasn't very good, but these are stats that could be had by anyone.  I totally agree that our O relies heavily on the TE, but I am not enamored with either Hooper or Njoku.

I would see what Gesicki would cost, or maybe go after Ertz (though that would be pricey) and then draft the kid for OSU (ruckert) or the kid from Wisconsin (ferguson)

34 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

after June 1 he costs 3 and change and saves 9.

34 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I think that’s all going to depend on cost.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that’s all going to depend on cost.

I agree with Njoku, it depends on the cost.....but I dont want to loose Hooper and Njoku in the same off-season, with a coach who's offense is TE centric, until Stefanski proves he can morph the offense into whatever the personnel dictates.

I mean Harrison Bryant, Steven Carlson and a Rookie, would be a legit reset. I am a HUGE Harrison Bryant fan...and even if we keep both Hooper and Chief, Bryant needs to be more in the rotation.

The reason I would like to keep all 3, is simply, Stefanski loves TE's, Hooper has had 2 down years, but has been a Pro Bowler...Njoku is a 1rst round pick, and has shown flashes, and looks like he may finally deliver on that break out season...and H.B. the 1rst Mackey Award winner from a non power 5 conference, I think has pro bowl potential.....I think we should be ALL in for next season...and with the potential we have (remember fella's a LOT of Our CORE is 26 yo and YOUNGER....we should add to what we got, not start getting rid of parts or making MAJOR modifications.  

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

Other than as blockers, how exactly is this so?

How has he used them that shows this?

If you historically look at the offenses that he has run or been a part of running, has shown his percentage of using TE's, as Blockers, as Receivers, as targets of Screens, as decoy's.....whatever the case may be...he uses them, his offense.....it worked pretty well the year before last, not so much last year.....

IF you mean, you'd like to see more scoring or better use of the TE's, then that's one thing....but because his offense has not been as good as any of us would like, lets not start acting like his offense doesn't use 11 personnel groupings going back to Kyle Rudolph and Erv Smith in Minnesota. 

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I do hear what your saying.....I could be wrong, but I use spotrac for Salary information, and while cutting him after june 1rst, does save us 9.5M this year....it will cost us 7.5 in dead cap next season 2023, so that's a wash of 2M bucks over 2 years. If this info is wrong then my opinion could change, but if its only 2M bucks.....lets see if he can regain form?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap/