2022 Offseason Discussion

4 hours ago, zelbell said:

I figured this.....actually put in my projected offseasons. Stanton has been learning FB for 2 years and he is as a solid blocker as Jankovich and is MUCH more usable in the offense (even playing RB the weeks we only had DJ healthy). Thanks for the Good Years paving the way for Chubb and Hunt.....Good luck in your next endeavor. I think he resurfaces in Jacksonville......

It does save us a few Million dollars 2.5-3.5 I think...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Pain

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Dude wants paid, and I get it.  I’d pay him well, but it would be a short term deal.  With this end class his value is diminished a bit too.

It's just frustrating, because it's just "one more hole" to fill. I know we needed an EDGE aside from Clowney, but now we need an EDGE replacement AND a 3rd rusher with Takk gone to boot.

Our WR were dead last in the NFL in pass receptions last year, and that's not all on scheme. That whole room needs revamped, and we could still use a true MIKE LB and a true FS.

Hopefully FA fills some of these voids, but it's tough losing good players.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's just frustrating, because it's just "one more hole" to fill. I know we needed an EDGE aside from Clowney, but now we need an EDGE replacement AND a 3rd rusher with Takk gone to boot.

Our WR were dead last in the NFL in pass receptions last year, and that's not all on scheme. That whole room needs revamped, and we could still use a true MIKE LB and a true FS.

Honestly we need to quit relying on FA to fill these holes.  This is year 3 with this FO.  Some of these holes should be filled by players they’ve drafted and developed.

I know they’re just stopgap players, but they chisel away at the cap and tbh by and large suck.  Spend a bit and get legit starters or just play some rookies and keep the cap space.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Agreed..the only saving grace is there seems to be a good amount of Edge players, and WR's in this draft class.  I think you forgot to mention DT????  I think I would use the first 3 picks on front 7 and WR, and also double down in FA, at all of those positions!!!

Something like RD 1 Garrett Wilson

RD 2 Devonte Wyatt 

RD 3 Cameron Thomas

FA  De De Westbrook

FA DJ Jones

FA Derek Barnett

Edited by big poppa pump
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Honestly we need to quit relying on FA to fill these holes.  This is year 3 with this FO.  Some of these holes should be filled by players they’ve drafted and developed.

I'm optimistic on Nick Harris being one of them and Grant Delpit being another. We REALLY need one of those young DT's to step up and be an average to above average NFL starter. We also need DPJ OR Schwartz to develop into a viable #2-#3.

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know they’re just stopgap players, but they chisel away at the cap and tbh by and large suck.  Spend a bit and get legit starters or just play some rookies and keep the cap space.

I just had a conversation with a coworker. I get tired of them "splitting the difference" on dudes. I like big FA splashes or lower middle/value tier guys. I hate paying the slow and unathletic/borderline useless plodding 2 down MLB's decent money, and the same for those JAG big DL (I'm looking at you Billings in the past). 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'm optimistic on Nick Harris being one of them

Let’s hope.  We need a day 3 hit as a viable starter.

and Grant Delpit being another.

He’d better be tbh.  Dude was a 2nd rounder.

We REALLY need one of those young DT's to step up and be an average to above average NFL starter.

I’d be fine with a middling starter and a decent rotational player.  Whiffs in R3-4 hurt. They don’t have to be studs, but they need to at least be capable of deserving/earning a roster spot and snaps.

We also need DPJ OR Schwartz to develop into a viable #2-#3.

Lol good luck.  I think DPJ may be a 3/4, Schwartz needs to improve to show he’s worthy of a roster spot.  He’s young and was a rookie, has time, etc., but he stunk.

I just had a conversation with a coworker. I get tired of them "splitting the difference" on dudes. I like big FA splashes or lower middle/value tier guys. I hate paying the slow and unathletic/borderline useless plodding 2 down MLB's decent money, and the same for those JAG big DL (I'm looking at you Billings in the past). 

I more or less agree with this.  I’m not a huge fan of FA in general, you’re paying top of the market prices for guys other teams aren’t convinced are worth investing huge money in. Not to say you can’t get good players in FA, but you’re gonna pay for them in most cases.

If you see a guy you think is a high level player in your system and the cost is reasonable, go for it. If there’s a vet to fill a. Hole for cheap as hell, ok, but there shouldn’t be too many of those.  Other than that, build through the draft.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Let’s hope.  We need a day 3 hit as a viable starter.

IMO I think the writing is on the wall for Tretter.

He’d better be tbh.  Dude was a 2nd rounder.

No doubt, but it's not his fault he had that nasty Achilles injury

I’d be fine with a middling starter and a decent rotational player.  Whiffs in R3-4 hurt. They don’t have to be studs, but they need to at least be capable of deserving/earning a roster spot and snaps.

That kid from Missouri has been a colossal disappointment.

Lol good luck.  I think DPJ may be a 3/4, Schwartz needs to improve to show he’s worthy of a roster spot.  He’s young and was a rookie, has time, etc., but he stunk.

I think DPJ is a capable #3 who still has the opportunity to become a #2. Schwartz I'm not optimistic about at all. Maybe he proves me wrong, but I thought he was garbage at Auburn.

I more or less agree with this.  I’m not a huge fan of FA in general, you’re paying top of the market prices for guys other teams aren’t convinced are worth investing huge money in. Not to say you can’t get good players in FA, but you’re gonna pay for them in most cases.

If you see a guy you think is a high level player in your system and the cost is reasonable, go for it. If there’s a vet to fill a. Hole for cheap as hell, ok, but there shouldn’t be too many of those.  Other than that, build through the draft.

I think that we "aren't there yet" because we are still 3 years out from this roster being borderline unsalvageable. At least we have draft picks and trade acquisitions throughout the OL (minus Conklin as a FA), all RB spots, 1 TE, and MOST of the defense (minus JJ3 and Hill as your slot corner).

The LB spots are unbelievably frustrating for me outside of JOK, and I've felt this way for 20 years.

• Like 1

I'd be all for giving Clowney a lot of money on a short-term deal, but I can't blame the FO if they're hesitant about signing him to a long-term contract if that is indeed what Clowney is looking for. Dude just has trouble staying healthy.

But yeah, if he's gone, gotta imagine we go DE in round one. If we're able to sign a good receiver, waiting until the second round for a WR won't be so bad.

Losing Clowney is gonna suck, but if it forces us to draft someone like Karlaftis or Walker I’d feel a little better

we need to go for a longer term solution at DE than just continuing to spend big money in UFA

drafting someone locks someone in at a reasonable rate for 4-5 years which is huge when you have some bigger contracts like we have