Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Assuming we draft a WR in the first round, I don't see where there was a spot for him. There's some if's in the situation, but we'd have Terry, Samuel, Olave/Wilson/London/whatever, and then the hopeful development of Sims, Milne, Brown. Of the guys I was sweating about losing, Carter was never on my list. 

He's super cheap and solidifies your return game. I just think its weird to let him walk. Is Milne a return guy and we can always say its super easy to find a return guy but we'd been trying to do so for years? This whole off-season has been weird. I mean we're a JD McKissic change of heart from this being maybe the worst off-season Rivera has had here. Just strange. All of it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

He's super cheap and solidifies your return game. I just think its weird to let him walk. Is Milne a return guy and we can always say its super easy to find a return guy but we'd been trying to do so for years? This whole off-season has been weird. I mean we're a JD McKissic change of heart from this being maybe the worst off-season Rivera has had here. Just strange. All of it. 

I probably would have preferred to keep him, but like I said no love lost. Honestly, outside of signing a couple more guys, this offseason has gone mostly unsurprising to me (got a QB, Scherff walked, Collins cut, etc).

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I probably would have preferred to keep him, but like I said no love lost. Honestly, outside of signing a couple more guys, this offseason has gone mostly unsurprising to me (got a QB, Scherff walked, Collins cut, etc).

I mean its pretty surprising considering Rivera is telling everyone this is the season he expects the team to make a jump. Meanwhile we lost all of our interior DL depth. Don't have a MLB. Have limited draft capital and spent most of our cap space on a guy who couldn't get a more talented team to the playoffs. So like I said, its a strange approach to a season they expect to contend.

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Welp there goes Deandre Carter to the Chargers. Add another hole to the list. Ron knows we got Wentz and not Pat Mahomes in that trade, right? 

Yeah I would have kept him for what is reported essentially 1 million a year.  He was very productive for us as a WR and return man.  We definitely need to fill that return man spot.

I am open to drafting a WR but we all know the hit rate is low and they often take a lot of time.  I don't want another smaller size guy in a top round.  We could replace Carter with someone like Covey in the mid/later rounds.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Have limited draft capital

This is the part that continues to eat at me. Because of the painfully stupid long snapper trade last year and the Wentz trade, we’ve got 3 picks before the 6th round. 

The draft really shouldn’t be for filling holes, but when you don’t get that job done in FA, you end up having to use it that way. And the especially disturbing part, at the moment, is that they have far too many holes to address with the very few potentially impactful draft picks they possess.

It’s one thing to be conservative in FA, and to value the guys you already have and to protect your comp pick for Scherff. But this is getting to be just too much. They could be improving the team, and they’re missing opportunities. A guy like Tavon Young would have made perfect sense for us — good player, specific role (slot CB), released by BAL (no comp pick). But he’s headed to CHI, while we presumably will just sort through the post-draft scrap heap for whomever we can find at the positions we can’t address in the draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Yeah I would have kept him for what is reported essentially 1 million a year.  He was very productive for us as a WR and return man.  We definitely need to fill that return man spot.

I am open to drafting a WR but we all know the hit rate is low and they often take a lot of time.  I don't want another smaller size guy in a top round.  We could replace Carter with someone like Covey in the mid/later rounds.  

Are there any WR's in the draft with KR/PR abilities? I'm sure there are...

Besides Covey, are there any other WR's we should target in the draft with returning abilities?

Of course, perhaps we look for a RB in the draft with those traits?

36 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This is the part that continues to eat at me. Because of the painfully stupid long snapper trade last year and the Wentz trade, we’ve got 3 picks before the 6th round. 

The draft really shouldn’t be for filling holes, but when you don’t get that job done in FA, you end up having to use it that way. And the especially disturbing part, at the moment, is that they have far too many holes to address with the very few potentially impactful draft picks they possess.

It’s one thing to be conservative in FA, and to value the guys you already have and to protect your comp pick for Scherff. But this is getting to be just too much. They could be improving the team, and they’re missing opportunities. A guy like Tavon Young would have made perfect sense for us — good player, specific role (slot CB), released by BAL (no comp pick). But he’s headed to CHI, while we presumably will just sort through the post-draft scrap heap for whomever we can find at the positions we can’t address in the draft. 

And don’t forget. This is the same crew who brought in one, ONE, undrafted free agent last year. Everything they do is odd. The way things have been ran since they pushed Kyle Smith out after that first season has just been strange. 

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

This guy any good Washington fans?

He was surprisingly viable as a receiver for us last year. He made some nice catches and seemed to have reliable hands. 

He’s mostly a returner though. I was a big fan of him in that role before he came here, and that’s what kept him on our roster. He gets up to full speed extremely quickly, which is what makes him dangerous. Between he and Hopkins, LAC now has 1/2 of what was a pretty good special teams group here at the start of last season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He's like a 4th or 5th WR option.  Decent returner.  

I think we’re primarily looking at him to be returner, replacing the older Andre Roberts. I guess the fumbles are a little concerning with Carter.

Edited by Xenos