Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

58 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This might be one where you pay him what it takes to come aboard, I think. 

I mean, if there’s one spot where we could hope we can convince a guy to come play for us, maybe it’s a LB. Rivera and JDR have pretty good pedigree with LBs, and obviously this is a guy who is going to want to play for a group that will treat him with respect and give him the freedom to do what he does.

He’s only 32 by the start of the season. Good MLBs can play a long time, and he is still excellent (as we saw firsthand this past season). He could take this defense from an amalgamation of poorly fitting pieces to a true unit. I’d be all-in and force him to say no.

Also wouldn't count against us in any comp pick formula since he got cut right

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

For sure, and that’s a nice extra benefit since we’re hoping to get something for Scherff. 

If we play our card right, we should get a 3rd for losing Scherff.

It would involve us holding off on Wagner until after the date for the comp picks formula has passed, which should suit him fine since a veteran with that pedigree doesn't need to be in camp during the dog days of summer anyway.

Oh, never mind, he got cut so wouldn't count anyway (thanks ovfd55 )

Edited by MacDog

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Can we afford him now? Lol

We'll have about $5m with zero moves right now and money allocated to the rookies. With some cuts (Collins) and some restructures, that number could double at least. 

We could do a deal where the big hit happens in Year 2. We only have about $700k of dead cap this year and none next year. We've been pretty good at managing the cap in terms of avoiding dead cap. It's pretty much the only thing we've done correctly in recent years.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Can we afford him now? Lol

We should be able to make a couple moves. 

You’ve got a few guys who are basically “cut-or-restructure” candidates in Collins ($16.1M), Flowers ($10.0M), Ioannidis ($8.4M), Schweitzer ($5.8M). If they were to June 1 cut all those guys (not technically allowed), that would clear 30ish million. Obviously they won’t do that, but that’s the high end with those guys. I think Collins is probably gone via June 1 (saves about $12M) and they probably extend the other 3 to open up another $10-12M or so. Can’t rule out them outright cutting Ioannidis though, if they made him a June 1 cut, that would save $6.9M.

If they go ahead and trade Payne (doubtful), that would save them the whole $8.5M they owe him. Extending Payne would likely save them a few bucks as well — so they should probably make a call on that one now. 

They could free up some money by addressing the starting CB duo. Both of them have pretty significant cap numbers, could bring those down somewhat by pushing money out into the future. 

All told, I think they’ll have enough to make a few additions, but it’s not going to be the sort of flexibility we were hoping for going into this FA market. And the big issue is that it’s going to come at the cost of future cap flexibility. It’s one thing when you’re pushing money into the future for really good players and a really good team (Saints, Rams, Cowboys, etc) — but is this team really at that level?

• Like 1

BTW - if you guys want JD McKissic, we need to create cap room. Releasing Collins won't help us until June 1st in terms of cap. 

So right now, you need to do the deals that @e16bballindicated, or you simply do what I suggested about this year's Wentz salary.

Some of a mix of the two would be good. But we can't go too overboard.

17 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

BTW - if you guys want JD McKissic, we need to create cap room. Releasing Collins won't help us until June 1st in terms of cap. 

So right now, you need to do the deals that @e16bballindicated, or you simply do what I suggested about this year's Wentz salary.

Some of a mix of the two would be good. But we can't go too overboard.

They could also just choose not to treat Collins as a June 1 cut, at which point they’d reap the $6.5M cap benefit right away. 

I didn’t know that about the June 1 rule, but it totally undercuts the utility of that option. $12M in cap space coming available in June doesn’t really help much. Who are you signing at that point that will need $12M in year-one money?

• Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

They could also just choose not to treat Collins as a June 1 cut, at which point they’d reap the $6.5M cap benefit right away. 

I didn’t know that about the June 1 rule, but it totally undercuts the utility of that option. $12M in cap space coming available in June doesn’t really help much. Who are you signing at that point that will need $12M in year-one money?

This is the smarter way to go. I agree. Doing a June 1st cut really doesn't help in most situations. As you pointed out, the space only coming available that late in the offseason doesn't help much at all.

I had remembered about the cap space only releasing on June 1st. But then googled it and posted it elsewhere. Here's a good rundown of the June 1st cuts and how it's not the best way to free up space in most cases.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/3/19/21186561/understanding-the-post-june-1-designation

A snippet:

A player can be cut as soon as the new league year begins in March and still be designated a June 1 cut, thus saving some cap space in the current year while pushing some of the hit into the following year. Teams are limited to the early (pre-June 1) designation of no more than two players per year as June 1 cuts. This is done to accommodate players who would prefer to be available in free agency immediately rather than wait until June 1 when many teams are close to out of funds for free agency. However, no matter when a player is cut, whether before or after June 1, if he is designated a June 1 cut the team cutting him does not realize any cap savings until after June 1. So a player cut in March but designated a June 1 cut remains on the books of the team cutting him for salary cap purposes even though he is free to sign with any other team immediately. The important thing to note here is that June 1 cuts, though they create more cap space in the current year than pre-June 1 cuts (at the expense of creating more dead money in the following year), do not create ANY cap space until after June 1, long after the free agent market for most of the best players has played out. Thus June 1 cuts, which are sometimes represented as an effective tool for creating extra cap space in free agency, are actually all but useless for that purpose, as you cannot access that cap space until after June 1. The only effective salary cap benefit of a June 1 cut is for use in signing draft picks and other late offseason transactions after a team has been tapped out in free agency.