Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

4 hours ago, Troublez said:

Meh - this is the deepest our team has been in a LONG LONG time. Their personnel decisions are like a flat "B" rating from me. You guys are being dramatic with statements such as this.... from my vantage point, Ron has given us the following:

O-LINE - over performed despite losing TWill and Sherff

WR - looks handsome

TE - looks like a deeeep group of athletes. Logan, Turner, and Bates.... 

RB - McK Brian Robinson and even AG looks nice

The only personnel decision that Ron and Cru has botched is keeping Jack Del Rio. The issue being, that JDR picked up a lot of slack when Ron had cancer and has a leash that is not dependent only on his D's performance. 

I hate to be a downer, but calling it a deep roster when it is filled with a bunch of mediocre and unproven "talent" is exactly what this team wants. You mention only offensive players, minus the one they are touting as "the stabilizing piece".  

The O-Line features a center coming off an injury, a couple former Panthers, a LT that performed pretty well and a young RT that struggled to stay on the field. The depth behind the starters is avg at best. "C- Avg"

The WRs is only Terry McLaurin. Now before everyone blows up about Dotson this and that, know that he has proven nothing in regular season action. I think he has talent and could be good/very good, but right now he is a rookie that hasn't proven anything. Curtis Samuel is always hurt, Dyami Brown hasn't taken any steps to being a solid WR. Cam Sims is a JAG. Dax Milne is a JAG. Literally, its Terry McLaurin and then a bunch of nobodies. "C Avg"

TE sees a recovering (and over 30) Logan Thomas and John Bates (who is a much better blocker than receiver) then a couple rookies. (D+ Avg)

RB is probably the brightest and deepest position. JD McKissic is probably the best receiving back in the NFL when healthy. Brian Robinson looks the part of an NFL starter, but he may not play most of the season because humanity is horrible. Antonio Gibson getting demoted is a sign that he really doesnt have a place/role on this team. "C+ Avg"

Then you have the entire defense, the supposed strongest part of our team. Besides Cam Kurl and Kendall Fuller, the back 7 is atrocious. We easily have the worst starting LB core in the NFL. Our starting DE is on the PUP list and who knows what he will look like when he comes back. Montez Sweat has largely been looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Jon Allen is a stud. Daron Payne is definitely on the outs here regardless how he looks. 

No matter how you slice it, this team is not deep. Call it dramatic if you want, but I'm not drinking the Panther kool-aid. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

But did he play for Carolina?

No, but he did wear blue at his last stop. 😂 

I do tend to agree with @ovfd55 that signing Blake Martinez would be more or less just signing a name & someone coming off a torn ACL who plays a lot like Cole Holcomb who we already have. Neither are great in coverage, I’m not sure he’s a huge upgrade as people may think he will be.

13 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I hate to be a downer, but calling it a deep roster when it is filled with a bunch of mediocre and unproven "talent" is exactly what this team wants. You mention only offensive players, minus the one they are touting as "the stabilizing piece".  

The O-Line features a center coming off an injury, a couple former Panthers, a LT that performed pretty well and a young RT that struggled to stay on the field. The depth behind the starters is avg at best. "C- Avg"

The WRs is only Terry McLaurin. Now before everyone blows up about Dotson this and that, know that he has proven nothing in regular season action. I think he has talent and could be good/very good, but right now he is a rookie that hasn't proven anything. Curtis Samuel is always hurt, Dyami Brown hasn't taken any steps to being a solid WR. Cam Sims is a JAG. Dax Milne is a JAG. Literally, its Terry McLaurin and then a bunch of nobodies. "C Avg"

TE sees a recovering (and over 30) Logan Thomas and John Bates (who is a much better blocker than receiver) then a couple rookies. (D+ Avg)

RB is probably the brightest and deepest position. JD McKissic is probably the best receiving back in the NFL when healthy. Brian Robinson looks the part of an NFL starter, but he may not play most of the season because humanity is horrible. Antonio Gibson getting demoted is a sign that he really doesnt have a place/role on this team. "C+ Avg"

Then you have the entire defense, the supposed strongest part of our team. Besides Cam Kurl and Kendall Fuller, the back 7 is atrocious. We easily have the worst starting LB core in the NFL. Our starting DE is on the PUP list and who knows what he will look like when he comes back. Montez Sweat has largely been looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Jon Allen is a stud. Daron Payne is definitely on the outs here regardless how he looks. 

No matter how you slice it, this team is not deep. Call it dramatic if you want, but I'm not drinking the Panther kool-aid. 

My man! I guess we just have different opinions here. Good points nonetheless.

But I guess I meant "deepest" that we have had recently. He has added a lot of nice pieces.

I think Ron's true fault (and to my previous point), is that he has a clown running the defense that refuses to bend his scheme to maximize player talent. JDR is a f***** clown. If he got fired today, Vegas would up our win total guaranteed. Only real "personnel" issue I'll knock him for since he got here. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Good explanations for those wondering why we don’t sign more vet FAs where you know their name but not sure how good the aging vet is anymore in late August after cuts.

Well when you’re one injury away from starting David Mayo and Jon Bostic you should probably do something. What happens if Fuller and Jackson get hurt? Look at the safety situation right now with Curl hurt. You can still prepare your roster with better talent at back up roles than the camp fodder Rivera rolls out there every year. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Well when you’re one injury away from starting David Mayo and Jon Bostic you should probably do something. What happens if Fuller and Jackson get hurt? Look at the safety situation right now with Curl hurt. You can still prepare your roster with better talent at back up roles than the camp fodder Rivera rolls out there every year. 

But most teams are in the same boat & do exactly as we’re doing. Same w/our teams dating back to 1993 when free agency started. Most teams have a guy or two as a vet that isn’t good enough to be a starter in spots and then a bunch of young unproven back ups who are mostly just special teams guys.

Bostic & Mayo are a lot of like what’s out there. The only place I’d say I’d wish they’d sign a guy us AJ Klein or re-sign Collins but Collins might not want to sign here again or might want to only sign here if we’re going to pay him $5 to 10 mil a year. We just don’t know the reasoning as to why Collins hasn’t signed with anyone. We assume it’s Washington’s fault, but no one has signed him, so that pint more to Collins is asking for too much $. Also, they might be waiting to do so until week 2 when Collins’s contract wouldn’t be guaranteed for the year as Rick Snider suggested.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

They certainly would be. 

However, if they can’t be signed for $6.93 a day plus their choice of 3 pieces of obsolete WFT swag, they’re just not on the table for us. 

Don’t forget the biggest necessity in completing a deal with a free agent….former Panther. 

• Like 1