Free Agency- Possible Targets

ARTMONK HOF

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

More inertia from Ron and the Inside-The-Box Boyz. 

There’s just absolutely no creativity with this FO. There were options for them at DT, largely related to having depth and a good young reserve like Settle at the position — specifically, trading Payne or trading/cutting Ioannidis to free up financial resources and to potentially bring back some draft assets to recoup what they gave up for Wentz. Especially because I don’t see how you can justify paying Payne after you paid Allen and hope to pay Sweat/Young down the road.

But instead, as usual, it’s the straight-line approach. Nothing to rock the boat or shake things up. Nothing to get ahead of an impending problem (the DL salary crunch) and try to solve it a year early instead of a year late. Just the typical approach of waiting until they’re absolutely forced to make a decision, and then being disappointed to see that their hands are tied. Just like with Scherff. 

It’s just a very .500 approach.

Tim Settle was our 4th DT on the roster, I mean the dude played less than 19% of defensive snaps last season.  Signing him to an extension would have been wasted cap space, we can easily replace him with a late round draft pick.

29 minutes ago, e16bball said:
But instead, as usual, it’s the straight-line approach. Nothing to rock the boat or shake things up. Nothing to get ahead of an impending problem (the DL salary crunch) and try to solve it a year early instead of a year late. Just the typical approach of waiting until they’re absolutely forced to make a decision, and then being disappointed to see that their hands are tied. Just like with Scherff. 

It’s just a very .500 approach.

frodo-sam.gif

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I would think we have our starting guards in Flowers and Schweitzer. Charles played decent last year as well. 

I get that we do but Need quality depth and to get a starting guard for 3 years 20m is great. Want to protect our new QB 😀

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

So far we have a 3rd (Scherff) and a 7th (Settle) coming to us.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/

The only one left that might net us one is McKissic. Maybe Sims if someone likes his potential, or Carter if people need a ST player and we see these WR contracts going out. I think Carter and McCain are back. And I assume we will offset one or two. 

34 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd like to walk away with one of Norwell, Hicks, Hitchens, today

I'd take one Wagner or Mathieu over those, though being that Wagner/Honey Badger are high profile players, I'd imagine we stay away. 

Wagner is exactly the type of player this defense needs.