2018 Draft Big Board, Prospect Pool Overview & Mock

Mind Character

2018 Draft Class Mid-season Quick Hitters, Big Board & Mock

At this point, I've watched about 92 prospects from the talent pool with the majority of stuff to watch during the holidays....

1. Bad news is that over the last 8 years that I've really studied prospects, I don't think I can recall a year where I've been as disappointed in the lack of impact talent as I have this year.

·         Terrible depth of talent in this draft on par with 2016 in that there is a massive talent/impact starter ability drop off after the first 7-9 players. Whereas last year's class was so deep that you could get impact players well into the 20s and at the top of the 2nd round.

·         The 34th player on my board at this time last year has the exact same grade (roughly a few points off) as the 18th player on my board in this year's draft. That's a HUGE difference and is truly on par with the '16 draft class. Last year was a great year of talent depth.

2. Good news is the teams with the most draft capital are best situated to move up in the draft to secure the impact talent. This is not a draft where we can sit back and let the draft come to us. I would treat all later round picks as expendable chips to aggressively move up to target the right players.

--------------------

Positions of depth

1. The TE class this year is even better and deeper than last year where

2. Corner class looks deep but not as talented as last years.

3. RB is deep deep like last year.

--------------------

Top Lies You'll Hear Told About this Class

1. "This offensive tackle class is deep"

·         The OTs being talked about has top 10 players as well as those talked about as going in the 2nd round are mostly garbage. The more tape I watch, the less player I like.

2. "It's a big year for Edge Rusher Depth"

·         Hell no! It's a decent year if a team is in the 34 defense. Garbage year if one runs the 43. If you don't get one in the top 20, the rest are meh.

------------------------

Overrated or Misunderstood Players

1. Dante Pettis: Smooth route runner, lacks burst and quickness, also lacks go get it ability. Drops the ball a ton. Was really disappointed after watching 5 games. Is really just a guy...the hype train on him is laughable.

2. Arden Key: Tremendous athlete, terrible motor, can only play as a 34OLB, his hands die on contact, and he gets frustrated easily from physical play, undisciplined in run support. I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd round.

3. Derwin James: He's a linebacker all day, 24/7...Great competitor, apex leader, knee doesn't look all the way recovered, has major issues in stop and start change of direction movements, slow mental identifier and processing of the pass…really bad eyes, but when he does see it he cuts it loose to devastating results for the offensive players. Will be a star in as a OLB taking away TEs and providing run support on the outside.

4. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville: Injured all year, but last year’s tape showed a 3rd or 4th round guy with INT production. Slow and poor hip explosion and fluidity. Gets beat off the line easily, bad tackler, doesn’t give effort and quits in run support to often. Great Zone Corner. Would thrive as a slot but is not a number 1 on the boundary.

5. Iman Marshall, CB, USC: Doesn’t always compete, technique is really bad, gets overpowered at the line easily, really bad eye discipline. 3rd rounder at best.

6. Trey Adams, OT Washington: Strong competitive fire, but has terrible balance, is stiff, and cannot anchor against power to save his life. Major Waist bender. The people calling him a top 5 tackle are out of their mind or just watched 2 or 3 games. I was once fooled by the limited sample size. More games watched exposed his fatal flaws.

---------------------------------------------

The Big Board

(**Excluded DTs/NTs/LBs/Guards due to our teams' depth**)

Blue-chip, Franchise Changer, Can’t Miss

1. Saquon Barkley RB, Penn State

The Good: Supreme Speed, power, agility, elusiveness…he has it all. Open field vision is exceptional and has the ability to be an 80 reception back threat in the passing game. Elite worker and grinder who is all in on everything football and training.

The Bad: While his open field vision is exceptional, his vision and patience to the hole lacks maturity and needs development. Receives so many handoffs from shotgun and immediately accelerates to top speed whereas an NFL single back and I-form look requires a different kind of vision, footwork, pacing/speed control, and setting up blocks with knowledge/instincts/anticipation. In the snaps that I've seen out of wing/pistol, Saquon either overruns or overaccelerates or doesn't see the block flow clearly. This is a small hurdle that can be overcome with coaching but it will take some work. I'd bet anything he can transition effectively a la Ezekial Elliot.

2. Sam Darnold, QB USC

The Good: Amazing anticipation thrower, sees the field clearly and with uncanny calm and poise. Quickness in the pocket and great blitz avoidance movement. Supreme Speed, power, agility, elusiveness…he has it all. Open field vision is exceptional and has the ability to be an 80 reception back threat in the passing game. Elite worker and grinder who is all in on everything football and training. The big moment does not faze him or his willingness to let it rip with high difficulty throws in order secure the win. Pocket composure and how compact his delivery is under duress is elite just below the level of Goff coming out (not Goff the deer in headlights his rookie year).

The Bad: Does not have the requisite blitz awareness and knowledge yet to adjust plays and get the offense out of bad situations with efficiency. Odd throwing motion, but his motion is explosive. Feet get antsy and speed up his progressions leaving him off balance with poor mechanics that undermine his ability to be accurate. Forces the ball into double coverage or in tight windows that lead to INTs when he tries to guide his throws. Tries to guide his throws instead of letting it rip way too often for his arm talent especially on hash throws and deep outs allowing the Safety to cue the throw, get over the top, and secure the INT due to the ball's lack of pace. Gets fooled in Cover 3 looks with Safety blitz and LB zone replace schemes due to the chaos in his field of vision. His feet get sped up so bad in these situations his mind seizes up and it's all bad.

------------------------------------

Blue-chip, Immediate Starter, Instant Pro-Bowler

3. DeShon Elliot FS Texas

***Will Copy/Paste The Rest of The Good Vs The Bad Details from Our CFB Scouting League when I have time***

4. Bradley Chubb DE NC State

5. Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina

6. James Washington WR Oklahoma St.

7. Minkah Fitzpatrick FS/CB Alabama

8. Josh Allen QB Wyoming

----------------------

Blue-chip, Pro-Bowl Upside

9. Courtland Sutton WR SMU

10. Taven Bryan RDE Florida

11. Armani Watts FS/SS Texas A&M

12. Calvin Ridley WR Alabama

13. Clayton Thurson QB Northwestern

14. Josh Rosen QB UCLA

15. Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State

------------------------

Immediate Starter, Impact Player

16. Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma

17. Jordan Whitehead FS Pittsburgh 

18. Lamar Jackson QB Louisville

19. Connor Williams OT Texas

20. Ian Thomas TE Indiana

21. Duke Dawson CB Florida

22. Michael Gallup WR Colorado St.

23. PJ Locke CB Texas

24. Carlton Davis CB Auburn

-------------------------

Developmental Starter, Impact Player Upside

25.James Gardner WR Miami OH

Anthony Miller WR Memphis

Jaylen Samuels TE/HB NC STATE

Anthony Johnson WR Buffalo

Harold Landry DE Boston College

Jaleel Scott WR New Mexico State

26. Mike Mcglinchey OT Notre Dame

27. Jamarcus King CB South Carolina

28. Josey Jewell LB Iowa

29. Arden Key DE LSU

30. Ronald Jones II RB USC Duke Dawson CB Florida

31. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M

32. Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma

-----------------------

Developmental Starter, Limited Skill Set, Longterm Upside

33. Bryce Love RB/SlotWR Stanford

34. Orlando Brown OT Oklahoma

35. Ike Boettger OT Iowa

36. Billy Price C Ohio State

37. Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado

38. Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana

39. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

40. Jaylen Dunlap CB illinois

41. Troy Fumagalli TE Wisconsin

Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame

42. Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota State

43. Dominick Sanders FS Georgia

------------------------

Off-season:

****I don't like Kirk Cousins' game, but QBs are scarce and Kizer or whoever we may draft needs time to develop.

Sign QB Kirk Cousins or QB AJ Mccaron

Sign WR Terrelle Pryor

Draft Pick Order:

-Browns 1(1)

-Texans/Browns 1(5); 2(37)

-Eagles/Browns 2(60)

-------

The Draft & the Amazing Trade that Drives Browns Fans into Dark WaitingForNextYear Hysteria:

**Trade** The Chargers (with the 3rd worst record in the league) want Sam Darnold and pull out all the stops to jump ahead of the Giants who have the 2nd overall pick (Yes, Darnold comes out; and we pass on him LOL....let's just get it out of the way in this mock)   

In the Goff trade, the Rams gave up a first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

In a similar massive trade, we get a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd (2018), a 1st and 2nd (2019), and a 2nd (2020). We send a 5th and 6th in 2018 and future 4th in 2019 to them in the trade.

------

The Picks(Post Trade): 1(3)Chargers, 1(5)Texans, 2(33)Browns, 2(35)Chargers, 2(37)Texans, 2(60)Eagles, 3(65)Browns, 3(67)Chargers, 4(96)Browns, 4(112)Panthers

The Mock

1(3) Saquon Barkley RB Penn State

1(5) Bradley Chubb DE NC State

**Trade 2(33) for 1(20) to get back into the 1st; Give up a '18 3rd(65) & '19 3rd+ '19 4th**

1(20) Deshon Elliot FS Texas

**Trade 2(35) for 1(26) to get back into the 1st again; Like the Njoku Trade give up a '18 4th(96) but also a '18 5th and a '19 3rd

1(24) Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina

2(37) Calvin Ridley WR Alabama

2(60)  Michael Gallup WR Colorado State

3(67) Ronald Jones II RB USC

4(112) PJ Locke CB Texas

**Trade 5(133) for 4(120) give up future draft pick(s)

4(120) Duke Dawson CB Florida

6. Ike Boettger OT Iowa

7. Meh

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Supreme Speed, power, agility, elusiveness…he has it all. Open field vision is exceptional and has the ability to be an 80 reception back threat in the passing game. Elite wor

Man Darnold can do it all!

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

At this point, I've watched about 92 prospects from the talent pool with the majority of stuff to watch during the holidays....

1. Bad news is that over the last 8 years that I've really studied prospects, I don't think I can recall a year where I've been as disappointed in the lack of impact talent as I have this year.

·         Terrible depth of talent in this draft on par with 2016 in that there is a massive talent/impact starter ability drop off after the first 7-9 players. Whereas last year's class was so deep that you could get impact players well into the 20s and at the top of the 2nd round.

·         The 34th player on my board at this time last year has the exact same grade (roughly a few points off) as the 18th player on my board in this year's draft. That's a HUGE difference and is truly on par with the '16 draft class. Last year was a great year of talent depth.

2. Good news is the teams with the most draft capital are best situated to move up in the draft to secure the impact talent. This is not a draft where we can sit back and let the draft come to us. I would treat all later round picks as expendable chips to aggressively move up to target the right players.

--------------------

Positions of depth

--------------------

·         The OTs being talked about has top 10 players as well as those talked about as going in the 2nd round are mostly garbage. The more tape I watch, the less player I like.

·         Hell no! It's a decent year if a team is in the 34 defense. Garbage year if one runs the 43. If you don't get one in the top 20, the rest are meh.

------------------------

1. Dante Pettis: Smooth route runner, lacks burst and quickness, also lacks go get it ability. Drops the ball a ton. Was really disappointed after watching 5 games. Is really just a guy...the hype train on him is laughable.

2. Arden Key: Tremendous athlete, terrible motor, can only play as a 34OLB, his hands die on contact, and he gets frustrated easily from physical play, undisciplined in run support. I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd round.

3. Derwin James: He's a linebacker all day, 24/7...Great competitor, apex leader, knee doesn't look all the way recovered, has major issues in stop and start change of direction movements, slow mental identifier and processing of the pass…really bad eyes, but when he does see it he cuts it loose to devastating results for the offensive players. Will be a star in as a OLB taking away TEs and providing run support on the outside.

4. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville: Injured all year, but last year’s tape showed a 3rd or 4th round guy with INT production. Slow and poor hip explosion and fluidity. Gets beat off the line easily, bad tackler, doesn’t give effort and quits in run support to often. Great Zone Corner. Would thrive as a slot but is not a number 1 on the boundary.

5. Iman Marshall, CB, USC: Doesn’t always compete, technique is really bad, gets overpowered at the line easily, really bad eye discipline. 3rd rounder at best.

6. Trey Adams, OT Washington: Strong competitive fire, but has terrible balance, is stiff, and cannot anchor against power to save his life. Major Waist bender. The people calling him a top 5 tackle are out of their mind or just watched 2 or 3 games. I was once fooled by the limited sample size. More games watched exposed his fatal flaws.

The Big Board

The Good: Supreme Speed, power, agility, elusiveness…he has it all. Open field vision is exceptional and has the ability to be an 80 reception back threat in the passing game. Elite worker and grinder who is all in on everything football and training.

The Bad: While his open field vision is exceptional, his vision and patience to the hole lacks maturity and needs development. Receives so many handoffs from shotgun and immediately accelerates to top speed whereas an NFL single back and I-form look requires a different kind of vision, footwork, pacing/speed control, and setting up blocks with knowledge/instincts/anticipation. In the snaps that I've seen out of wing/pistol, Saquon either overruns or overaccelerates or doesn't see the block flow clearly. This is a small hurdle that can be overcome with coaching but it will take some work. I'd bet anything he can transition effectively a la Ezekial Elliot.

2. Sam Darnold, QB USC

The Good: Amazing anticipation thrower, sees the field clearly and with uncanny calm and poise. Quickness in the pocket and great blitz avoidance movement. Supreme Speed, power, agility, elusiveness…he has it all. Open field vision is exceptional and has the ability to be an 80 reception back threat in the passing game. Elite worker and grinder who is all in on everything football and training. The big moment does not faze him or his willingness to let it rip with high difficulty throws in order secure the win. Pocket composure and how compact his delivery is under duress is elite just below the level of Goff coming out (not Goff the deer in headlights his rookie year).

The Bad: Does not have the requisite blitz awareness and knowledge yet to adjust plays and get the offense out of bad situations with efficiency. Odd throwing motion, but his motion is explosive. Feet get antsy and speed up his progressions leaving him off balance with poor mechanics that undermine his ability to be accurate. Forces the ball into double coverage or in tight windows that lead to INTs when he tries to guide his throws. Tries to guide his throws instead of letting it rip way too often for his arm talent especially on hash throws and deep outs allowing the Safety to cue the throw, get over the top, and secure the INT due to the ball's lack of pace. Gets fooled in Cover 3 looks with Safety blitz and LB zone replace schemes due to the chaos in his field of vision. His feet get sped up so bad in these situations his mind seizes up and it's all bad.

***Will Copy/Paste The Rest of The Good Vs The Bad Details from Our CFB Scouting League when I have time***

8. Josh Allen QB Wyoming

----------------------

14. Josh Rosen QB UCLA

------------------------

23. PJ Locke CB Texas

25. Harold Landry DE Boston College

28. Josey Jewell LB Iowa

29. Arden Key DE LSU

-----------------------

35. Ike Boettger OT Iowa

------------------------

Off-season:

****I don't like Kirk Cousins' game, but QBs are scarce and Kizer or whoever we may draft needs time to develop.

Sign WR Terrelle Pryor

Draft Pick Order:

-Browns 1(1)

-Eagles/Browns 2(60)

-------

The Draft & the Amazing Trade that Drives Browns Fans into Dark WaitingForNextYear Hysteria:

**Trade** The Chargers (with the 3rd worst record in the league) want Sam Darnold and pull out all the stops to jump ahead of the Giants who have the 2nd overall pick (Yes, Darnold comes out; and we pass on him LOL....let's just get it out of the way in this mock)   

In the Goff trade, the Rams gave up a first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

In a similar massive trade, we get a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd (2018), a 1st and 2nd (2019), and a 2nd (2020). We send a 5th and 6th in 2018 and future 4th in 2019 to them in the trade.

------

The Picks(Post Trade): 1(3)Chargers, 1(5)Texans, 2(33)Browns, 2(35)Chargers, 2(37)Texans, 2(60)Eagles, 3(65)Browns, 3(67)Chargers, 4(96)Browns, 4(112)Panthers

The Mock

**Trade 2(33) for 1(20) to get back into the 1st; Give up a '18 3rd(65) & '19 3rd+ '19 4th**

**Trade 2(35) for 1(26) to get back into the 1st again; Like the Njoku Trade give up a '18 4th(96) but also a '18 5th and a '19 3rd

4(112) PJ Locke CB Texas

6. Ike Boettger OT Iowa

7. Meh

I take exception to a lot of what you are saying. This is not a sensational draft year like last year was, but it is a solid group and comparing it to last year's crop is a waste of time.

I think the WR group is exceptional as is the QB class. I am not seeing a great TE class, just a lot of average guys, no where near last year's crop. RB looks very solid and deep and OT, while lacking a top 5 guy although Brown of Oklahoma, may sneak in, is deep with as many as 6 potential 1st rounders. OC's and OG's look decent, but they tend to get drafted after round 1.

This is a very offensive draft and a very decent group overall. Any class, that has as many as 5 QB's going in round 1, 3 as top 10 picks, is never a weak class IMO. Throw in the WR's and RB's and we will be hearing about this class for years to come.

DL is OK especially DE and LBer is decent.CB is very average, but Safety has a few studs. Definitely not the strongest part of this draft year.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

--------------------

Positions of depth

--------------------

------------------------

The Big Board

2. Sam Darnold, QB USC

8. Josh Allen QB Wyoming

----------------------

14. Josh Rosen QB UCLA

------------------------

23. PJ Locke CB Texas

25. Harold Landry DE Boston College

28. Josey Jewell LB Iowa

29. Arden Key DE LSU

-----------------------

35. Ike Boettger OT Iowa

------------------------

Off-season:

Sign WR Terrelle Pryor

Draft Pick Order:

-Browns 1(1)

-Eagles/Browns 2(60)

-------

------

The Mock

4(112) PJ Locke CB Texas

6. Ike Boettger OT Iowa

7. Meh

I just wanted to make everyone scroll pass the OP again.

Love it or hate it you have to appreciate an elaborate, thought out mock with defined reason and strategy. I personally would target Minkah Fitzpatrick where you took Barkley and take Guice where you took Hurst, but Im feeling you. Just curious, I like James Washington but drops, especially on this team, scare me. What do you think? 

Almost forgot, love the Chubb pick. I know people will whine about how we dont need front 7 help and that pick should be spent on a WR or CB or whatever, but take the stud pass rusher everytime is my philosophy. Dont draft a lesser player just for need. Thats how bad teams stay bad. Pass rushers and QB are THE premium in NFL football. Besides, Ogbah still has allot to prove rushing the passer. Whats your thoughts on Duke Ejiofor? Just watched him, his power, quickness, and lateral agility blew my skirt up. Not the greatest bend, but it is there, and he reminds me of JJ Watts college tape with how he always seems to have the edge of opponents, always penetrating.

Archived