2022 Official Salary Cap and Free Agency

Just Want A Title

The NFL announced that the Salary Cap for 2022 will be $208.2 million.  With that said, The Lions have some "must-fill" free agency needs but I don't think they will be handing out market-setting contracts.  The obvious areas of need are WR, LB and S.  

1.  WR

2.  LB

Fits for the Lions:

WR:  We need to add WRs in free agency and the draft.  Our lack of WR talent is pretty obvious.  We need another veteran WR to take the pressure off of any WRs we draft

Best possible signing-Byron Pringle:  Buried on the KC depth chart, he could add speed and play-making that we don't have and wouldn't require a top-end contract

Plan B-Russel Gage:  A proven receiver that could help take some pressure off of Amon Ra St Brown that will require a more significant investment then Pringle

LB: 

Best possible signing:  Foyesade Oluokun--His stats make the case better than I can.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OluoFo00.htm

Plan B-  Jermaine Carter Jr:  He would provide a steady and consistent presence in our LB rotation

Plan C-Anthony Walker Jr:  See above.  

S:  The Lions could surprise a lot of people by letting Tracy Walker sign with another team.  There is a good chance we use our #32 or #34 pick on a safety also.

Best possible signing-  Marcus Williams:  He should help anchor our secondary and mitigate our instability at CB.

Plan B- Xavier Woods:  He might not be as good as Marcus Williams but he is a very solid and consistent player.  It would also take a good player away from the Vikings.

Note:  I thought the Lions might take a run at Hassan Reddick but it might be a little early in our re-build for a splash signing.  That said, he would still make a great addition to our defense.

What does everyone else think about potential free agent targets?

20 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Lots of talk the Lions will pursue a top level wideout. No word if that will be through trade or free agency.

I expect they will go after a safety and a LB as well.

LB is a must-do.  I wouldn't take a top-shelf free agent given the depth of the WR draft class.  As mentioned above, I think Russel Gage and Byron Pringle would be sensible additions.

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

LB is a must-do.  I wouldn't take a top-shelf free agent given the depth of the WR draft class.  As mentioned above, I think Russel Gage and Byron Pringle would be sensible additions.

I wouldn’t pay what a top flight WR will cost but I understand the thinking. I never believe to much of what all the pundits are saying at this time of year but this rumour seems to have some traction.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Lots of talk the Lions will pursue a top level wideout. No word if that will be through trade or free agency.

I expect they will go after a safety and a LB as well.

What do you think of Hicks?  since he was cut if we sign him I don't believe he would count against our Comp pick formula

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Reportedly, Lions are willing to go "all in" on WR Allen Robinson and S Marcus Williams in free agency. Personally, I would love those two moves. 

Williams makes all of the world of sense to me. Robinson is a bit more of a question mark. He's 28 years old. He's going to command big money. You're either going to be paying him at his highest while we're still a rebuilding team or we're going to pay him at his highest when he's older and arguably less effective. I'm not sure if Goff is our QBOTF (at least short-term) or not but until that is clear, spending money on a big FA WR doesn't seem to make a ton of sense.