RUSSELL WILSON THREAD

paul-mac

Wilson is apparntly looking for a new contract - 5years - $250million - and saying that if the Broncos want to wait until next year the price goes up.

I have to assume that Paton expected that this would be needed and the price range is the norm now for a QB of Wilson's calibre so I would suggest it should get done asap.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Wilson is apparntly looking for a new contract - 5years - $250million - and saying that if the Broncos want to wait until next year the price goes up.

I have to assume that Paton expected that this would be needed and the price range is the norm now for a QB of Wilson's calibre so I would suggest it should get done asap.

Being in Alaska all my friends in state are Seahawk fans. Some are Wilson fans, some not. They all agree though that he's a "me first" guy. This sounds just about right.

Hasn't taken a snap, played a game, led a comeback, participated in a training camp, met most of his teammates, etc; Basically done nothing and already a massive raise is the 1st thing on his mind.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Wilson era will be a disaster.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Being in Alaska all my friends in state are Seahawk fans. Some are Wilson fans, some not. They all agree though that he's a "me first" guy. This sounds just about right.

Hasn't taken a snap, played a game, led a comeback, participated in a training camp, met most of his teammates, etc; Basically done nothing and already a massive raise is the 1st thing on his mind.

I don't think it will be a disaster. At the end of the day, he's still a SB Winning/perennial Pro Bowl type of QB, and they don't grow on trees. That 5/250 was speculation by Klis that others took and ran with, from what I gathered.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I don't think it will be a disaster. At the end of the day, he's still a SB Winning/perennial Pro Bowl type of QB, and they don't grow on trees. That 5/250 was speculation by Klis that others took and ran with, from what I gathered.

Yeah, Klis has already backtracked and said those numbers are his assumptions and not based on anything Russ or anyone has actually said. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Nevermind the bogus contract report that had already been debunked. Done nothing? Huh. Coaches and teammates praise him on an almost daily basis for his “first in, last out” mentality, the way he takes charge in meetings and raises the standard for everyone across the building. He’s also worked outside the facility with his offensive teammates extensively, and will certainly continue to do so between minicamp and training camp. Sounds like those have been his priorities to me. 

We didn’t see nearly that level of commitment to the team from Flacco or Bridgewater, two vets you were happy to trade for and thought would do well here.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

A new contract was always going to be part of the package to trade for Wilson - and the guy is going to get the going rate.

Don't be under any illusion that Brady wasn't a 'me first' guy. His wife is worth something like half a billion dollars - and Brady is in line to make $375m when he joins Fox - that is an awful lot of leeway to take advantage of the salary cap. Brady wasn't taking a team friendly contract for the benefit of the Pats (or the Bucs) - he was doing it to lengthen his own career, pad his own stats and create a situation that he could dictate what he was doing and when he was doing it - that is the very essence of 'me first'. Brady was just in a better position that every other player in the NFL to dictate what 'me first' was for him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It sure seems that Dalton Risner doesn't think Russ is a "me-first" guy. 

“It’s been a privilege to get to know this man, No. 3. And I’m not just talking about the way he throws the football, the way he directs the huddle, the leader he is,” Risner said. “But the man of God that this dude is, the way he treats his teammates, the amount of humility and the humbleness that this man has is extraordinary, and I’m one that when I hear a lot of hype around people I like to really watch those people, but man, this dude is the real deal, he’s going to be great for our football team, he’s already been great for me and great for a lot of other teammates so I’m honestly very excited to have him.”

Also, every great QB has a massive ego and a lot of them are into their “brands”. Nobody moreso than Tom Brady. There’s nothing wrong with that, quarterbacks spend most of their time obsessively preparing for football. When they aren’t doing that, they’re shilling their businesses and sponsors in the most annoying way possible. That’s just part of the deal. 

I should also mention that Russ and his (insanely gorgeous) wife visit the local children’s hospital every week to spend time with the kids. 

• Like 1

And that 5/250 deal is fine if it is true. They’re going to restructure the hell out of that thing every year and send a pile of dead money into the  future when it’s time to rebuild. Having the richest owner in American sports will turn us into one of the “do they not have a salary cap?” teams in the league. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

And that 5/250 deal is fine if it is true. They’re going to restructure the hell out of that thing every year and send a pile of dead money into the  future when it’s time to rebuild. Having the richest owner in American sports will turn us into one of the “do they not have a salary cap?” teams in the league. 

It sure will. Paton as a GM with money to play with? I like the odds.

• Like 2

Listen, I think Russell is corny and frankly, I can't imagine me enjoying his presence when going for a beer or something.

But "me first?" He's one of the most charitable players in the history of the NFL. He is already massively engaged in the community. 

You can't just throw personal insults like that around without some meat on the bone. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Listen, I think Russell is corny and frankly, I can't imagine me enjoying his presence when going for a beer or something.

But "me first?" He's one of the most charitable players in the history of the NFL. He is already massively engaged in the community. 

You can't just throw personal insults like that around without some meat on the bone. 

He’s a Walter Payton Man of the Year recipient. 

• Like 1