RUSSELL WILSON THREAD

paul-mac

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Fant has 3 years done on his cheap rookie deal.   Lock is on his last year as a failed QB project.   Harris is 30 years old.    

It’s absolutely a bargain price to give up 2 1sts.   If it’s a 2023 1st with a 4th place schedule that 1st is going to be in the 20’s.  If not later.     1.9/2.8 are valuable but us finishing that high in the pick order is why we didn’t need to offer 3 1sts like WAS apparently did.   

Man I get you’re a Lock believer but if you think it’s too much I’m not sure your view is grounded in reality.   At all. 

+, in all likelihood, one of the R1 picks would've been spent trying to solve for QB either through the draft or via trade. 

We paid less for Wilson than SF did for Trey Lance.  This is highway robbery

• Like 6

I don’t wanna say that Fant and Shelby are scraps, because they’re useful players. But a) this is a very deep TE draft, and Fant is gonna become overpaid as early as 2023, and b) if you don’t think we can get a Shelby-caliber player for the $8M he’s set to make, I don’t know what to tell you. The cost is borderline too-good-to-be-true.

Now let’s see if Paton can execute the FA recruitment process.

• Like 1

Man I can't believe it! I'm fricken shaking right now with excitement. As some of you may know, I became a Broncos fan in 2016 and therefor...maybe a glutton for punishment. BUT! I can say for the first time that I'm hyped for this team. I can't say enough positive things about what Paton's vision has been and how he's taken the necessary moves to get there. It's insane what a person can do for a culture in just 2 years. I'm absolutely ecstatic strangely for our other guys even more than Wilson. All the storylines are so interesting like how does Jeudy look with a real QB, or how bonkers does Williams go now that's he's the main dude and should have more holes to work with? Does Hamler finally put together an injury free season and show his potential? I just can't say enough about how amazing this feels and must have been what yall felt like when Manning came here!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

We’re talking 5+ years of an elite QB. It would be hard for the price to be insane. Rodgers was a little different because of the shorter window. 

And to reinforce the point:

1.   Wilson has elite arm talent.  That skill set ages so gracefully.

2.   Wilson's down time has coincided with Pete Carroll embracing an EXTREMELY run-first, control-the-clock mentality - in part, because of his mindset, but also because of the weaknesses in the SEA D.     SEA runs a top 5 run-heavy gamescript but even with that, was dead LAST in time of possession - mostly because they are so predictable.   Run, run, pass.    Only 2 weapons to worry about.  It shows that for most D's, if you are predictable, even if you have a good to great QB and 2 talented WR's - D's can still stop you.

3.  Wilson is signed to a 2 year/51M remaining contract for 2023-24.  Now, of course he's going to want an extension.  But the point being that the cap hit for the next 2 years (and likely longer, as cap methods to push back big cap hits are FAR more available), are going to provide Paton with the ability to surround Wilson and the team with talent during his 4-5+ year peak performance window.

Now, before we go any further, I will note there are 2 weaknesses to Wilson's game, that prevent him from being in the Mahomes/Allen/TB12 peak tier:

1.   He takes way too many sacks trying to make the hero play.    His incredible scrambling ability allows him to extend plays - but he does need to know when to throw it away.   You don't take as many sacks as he does with his ability, and not acknowledge that's a part of his game that can improve.   

2.   Unlike ARod, he will put the ball in harm's way.   It's not just the infamous SB pick by Malcolm Butler - it's part of his hero play complex.    

Still, I'm not going to end by focusing on his flaws, I'm going to point out what makes him great:

1.   Rocket arm, unbelievable deep ball placement and he makes ALL the throws.    

2.  Unbelievable ability to extend plays, his chemistry with Jeudy, Sutton & Albert O should be something to watch (and when he's healthy, Hamler is going to love having Russ around too).

3.  His threat as a runner is only going to make life easier for Javonte Williams.  

Man, I am so freaking stoked.    Remember, I've said our team is NOT a legitimate contender since 2016 ended.   I pushed for Matt Stafford last year because I thought the team was ready to legitimately contend as of now - and while I worried we lost our chance with Stafford/then 1.10 Fields - Paton comes out looking like a FREAKING MAESTRO.

I only have 3 Bronco jerseys (well I have 4, but 2 players) - Elway's Orange Crush and SB uni, and DT's 88.  Won't lie, I'm likely going to be adding a 4th.  Wilson is that much of a difference-maker.     And because he's 33 - we're not just mortgaging our 2022-23 1st/2nds for a 2-3 year elite window of contention with A-Rod (which I would have accepted) - but we're getting a 5+ year window, barring new freak injury.   SO EXCITED.

It's a GREAT DAY TO BE A BRONCO FAN.   SOAK IT IN PPL.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Man I get you’re a Lock believer but if you think it’s too much I’m not sure your view is grounded in reality.   At all. 

Even if you’re a believer in Lock - and I was one for longer than most - there was no way for him to right the ship here, even with a new offense that fits his skill set. I like Drew, and I wish him the best, and getting a change of scenery is what’s best for him. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I haven’t thought about it like that! That’s perspective. Hot damn! 

And I think Kyle will turn Lance into a star but to get Russ - who is already going to the HOF - is as big a coup as I’ve seen in the NFL. This is bigger than landing Peyton. Yes I said it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

+, in all likelihood, one of the R1 picks would've been spent trying to solve for QB either through the draft or via trade. 

I actually think Lance is going to work out.   But if you tell me I can get 5 peak years of a top 8 QB for 2 1sts and 2 2nds, and 3 guys who I can replace (and Fant I can definitely replace, Harris has been great for us, but at age 30, yes he's replaceable, and Drew Freaking Lock with  1 rookie year left) - SIGN ME UP.    

I think we're absolutely going to find out that Russell Wilson asked SEA to trade him, and told them DEN was his top choice.   Much like how DET turned down CAR's offer of 1.9 for Matthew Stafford, as he wanted to go to LAR.    I'm calling my shot there.   And if he did it - FULL KUDOS to Wilson for not doing it in a high-profile way.   

There's zero chance that Wilson didn't want this - he probably just did it in private.   And if that's the case, really does explain a lot on how this offer isn't a lot higher than 2 1st and a 2022 2nd for A-Rod (again, A-Rod is a better QB right now, zero argument - but entering age - 39 season vs. age - 33 is a WORLD of difference).

• Like 1

One thing that ppl are overlooking - Wilson's 2/51M deal.   This is a MASSIVE asset, much like how Stafford's team-friendly deal allowed them to eat a ton of dead cap money with shipping Goff out.   

Von Miller had to know about this - we can go out and address DL depth, get EDGE help right now.   Hell, we could go get 2 EDGE's - because I think we can get DL and RT depth, because Denver is once again a TOP FA DESTINATION.

This really could be the Peyton redux.   What a time to be a fan....again.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

One thing that ppl are overlooking - Wilson's 2/51M deal.   This is a MASSIVE asset, much like how Stafford's team-friendly deal allowed them to eat a ton of dead cap money with shipping Goff out.   

Von Miller had to know about this - we can go out and address DL depth, get EDGE help right now.   Hell, we could go get 2 EDGE's - because I think we can get DL and RT depth, because Denver is once again a TOP FA DESTINATION.

This really could be the Peyton redux.   What a time to be a fan....again.

Still $26M in cap space at this moment, plus another $40-45M available in simple restructures, according to Over The Cap. We comin up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Still $26M in cap space at this moment, plus another $40-45M available in simple restructures, according to Over The Cap. We comin up

The QB discount in free agency is back. 3-5 million dollars will get some players on this team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

3 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Not to mention we'll probably give Russell a huge contract that carries a low cap number in the earlier years, kinda like Dak Prescott's deal. 

Something like 5 years, $197.5m with $131m guaranteed including $75m signing bonus

2022: $2.75m fully guaranteed + $15m prorated bonus ($17.5m against the cap, $6.25m cap SAVING)

2023: $20m fully guaranteed + $15m prorated bonus ($35m against cap)

2024: $31m fully guaranteed + $15m prorated bonus ($46m cap)

2025: $34m salary + $15m prorated bonus ($49m cap)

2026: $35m salary + $15m prorated bonus ($50m cap)

2027: Free agent

We can restructure it down the line to save cap money

• Like 2