Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

It gets released that Wentz is going to get cut, our front office says, you think we can get him for a couple 3rds?

If he gets cut - He's a F A to sign anywhere. Obviously no one wants to sign here . I like it better than the Russell deal. Hell, we take a shot and see. At least we didn't give up what the Colts gave and he's just a year older ! I'm not saying he's the second coming of Sonny J but he should be a competent NFL starter. 

Waiting for financial details to come out before completely losing my mind, but let’s just briefly take note of the fact that Carson Wentz’s 2022 cap number is $28M

That’s basically our entire current cap space. We’ll actually have to free some up to sign all our rookies, at the moment. So forget about signing a top-end WR or a Bobby Wagner or a Marcus Williams. Unless they immediately extend Wentz, which would somehow be even worse. 

If the Colts didn’t throw in a TON of money to facilitate this deal, it’s real REAL bad from our end. 

Just now, RSkinGM said:

If he gets cut - He's a F A to sign anywhere. Obviously no one wants to sign here . I like it better than the Russell deal. Hell, we take a shot and see. At least we didn't give up what the Colts gave and he's just a year older ! I'm not saying he's the second coming of Sonny J but he should be a competent NFL starter. 

That just goes to show they have zero faith in a QB "wanting" to come here. 

It's a desperation move by a Franchise that has made a lot of terrible moves under the current ownership.

Just now, e16bball said:

Waiting for financial details to come out before completely losing my mind, but let’s just briefly take note of the fact that Carson Wentz’s 2022 cap number is $28M

That’s basically our entire current cap space. We’ll actually have to free some up to sign all our rookies, at the moment. So forget about signing a top-end WR or a Bobby Wagner or a Marcus Williams. Unless they immediately extend Wentz, which would somehow be even worse. 

If the Colts didn’t throw in a TON of money to facilitate this deal, it’s real REAL bad from our end. 

We should be able to free up a bunch of cap by either: cutting Collins, Restructuring Jackson or Fuller, and/or possibly extending Ereck Flowers.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

His contract isn't bad though. 

What? 😂

Because we can cut him with no dead cap?

Is that how far we’ve sunk, we consider the contract for our new franchise QB to be “not bad” because we can get out of it quickly with no lasting cap damage?

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

That just goes to show they have zero faith in a QB "wanting" to come here. 

It's a desperation move by a Franchise that has made a lot of terrible moves under the current ownership.

I agree. Desperate times call for desperate measures !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

What? 😂

Because we can cut him with no dead cap?

Is that how far we’ve sunk, we consider the contract for our new franchise QB to be “not bad” because we can get out of it quickly with no lasting cap damage?

We basically have him locked in around $28 mil for the next 3 years if we want to. And yes we can easily get out of it if we want to.  That isn't extremely expensive for a starting QB. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

But he had like 3.5 good games at LB!

They were still good games. And we basically are forced to cut him now. If Frank Reich didn’t want Wentz why the hell do we think it’s going to work here? What is wrong with this team? 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

We basically have him locked in around $28 mil for the next 3 years if we want to. And yes we can easily get out of it if we want to.  That isn't extremely expensive for a starting QB. 

He’s barely a starting QB at this point. He sucks and we just gave all of our cap space away plus what’s going to amount to a third and a second and a swap of seconds. I mean, I know you like Rivera but dude, come on. At some point you have to see this isn’t going well. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

They were still good games. And we basically are forced to cut him now. If Frank Reich didn’t want Wentz why the hell do we think it’s going to work here? What is wrong with this team? 

Not enough that we wouldn't cut him. He was likely done regardless.