Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

38 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Here's the early math:

I would give him two more weeks at most. If he’s still bad and the OL looks awful you have to trot Heinecke or Howell out there. You have to see if the OL is really this bad and how much Wentz is contributing to that

Great read from Ben Standig at The Athletic.  Here are a couple paragraphs: 

But that’s not the entire accounting tale. The front office — or those focused on cash spent — largely declined to open more cap space. Therefore, the subsequent free-agent additions, including guards Andrew Norwell and Trai Turner, were modest at best. For some positions like cornerback and linebacker, there were no impactful free-agent additions. It didn’t have to be this way.

“This game was ugly, for sure, but I would say not so much (about) scheme and plays as much as talent level,” an NFL scout told The Athletic. “The Eagles are exponentially better across the board than Washington’s players. Draft and free agency — that’s how this one was decided.”

“If it doesn’t work out after this year, you cut him and save $26 million in the cap,” Halsell said. “A lot of teams would love to be in that situation where you can cut a guy and not have to worry about dead money.”

Tweaking Wentz’s contract — converting salary into a signing bonus, prorating over future years or adding a dummy year beyond 2024 — would be an easy way to generate more cap space. If the Commanders believe he’s a multiyear solution, there’s a minimal downside, Halsell said.

https://theathletic.com/3639353/2022/09/29/commanders-salary-cap-carson-wentz/?source=user_shared_article

I’ll go out on a limb and say we’ll see Heinecke against the Titans. Not until the start of the second half but he’ll play. The offense is going to sputter and Wentz is going to take sacks and throw an interception in the first. Taylor comes in and the offense looks totally different and the team moves up and down the field. They’ll continue starting Wentz for a week or two after that but Taylor starts just as many games this season as Wentz does. My guess is they’re already starting to have buyers remorse. 

49 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Great read from Ben Standig at The Athletic.  Here are a couple paragraphs: 

https://theathletic.com/3639353/2022/09/29/commanders-salary-cap-carson-wentz/?source=user_shared_article

Ben Standing seems all over the place here. Is he saying the made the right thing by not restructuring the deal bc they can get out of it next Feb/March? Or did they do the wrong thing bc they could’ve opened up cap space & added more talent to their OL, CB & LB.

I’ll also point out that they spent on corner. It’s just becoming obvious they spend on the wrong guy, maybe wrong on both guys although Fuller usually plays at least good but he has had a rough last two weeks.

They signed Fuller & Jackson. They’re paying $25 mil for their starting corners & Juice has played the best out of the 3 of them so, I’d disagree that Carson Wentz’s contract prohibited them from having good corners. They just have $ to the wrong guy definitely in WJ3.

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say we’ll see Heinecke against the Titans. Not until the start of the second half but he’ll play. The offense is going to sputter and Wentz is going to take sacks and throw an interception in the first. Taylor comes in and the offense looks totally different and the team moves up and down the field. They’ll continue starting Wentz for a week or two after that but Taylor starts just as many games this season as Wentz does. My guess is they’re already starting to have buyers remorse. 

Hopefully not, but entirely possible 

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hopefully not, but entirely possible 

I don’t think they consider Howell a long-term solution so I doubt we’ll see him unless Heinecke gets hurt. Wentz is almost certainly getting benched if this continues. They won’t give away a second round pick for a guy that aren’t bringing back. 

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think they consider Howell a long-term solution so I doubt we’ll see him unless Heinecke gets hurt. Wentz is almost certainly getting benched if this continues. They won’t give away a second round pick for a guy that aren’t bringing back. 

Oh I agree. I’m just saying “if” his current play continues as well. The Eagles & Cowboys fronts are two of the best in the NFL. My guess is Wentz has more time to throw & makes better decisions/more plays the next few weeks vs Tenn & Chicago than he has the last 2 weeks but we’ll see.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ben Standing seems all over the place here. Is he saying the made the right thing by not restructuring the deal bc they can get out of it next Feb/March? Or did they do the wrong thing bc they could’ve opened up cap space & added more talent to their OL, CB & LB.

Yeah I had the same issue. I couldn't tell. almost like he was both applauding it and appalled by it.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh I agree. I’m just saying “if” his current play continues as well. The Eagles & Cowboys fronts are two of the best in the NFL. My guess is Wentz has more time to throw & makes better decisions/more plays the next few weeks vs Tenn & Chicago than he has the last 2 weeks but we’ll see.

I mean, I just don't agree. He was getting sacked constantly against Detroit. The safety, he literally just stood there and waited to get sacked. He's a complete mess right now and the line is in worse shape. The titans are going to do the exact same thing the rest of these teams did. This is just heading for a place we've been all too familiar with. Either Wentz gets hurt or he gets benched. He's no longer a starter in this league. 

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If they are smart, they should at least be giving Heinicke some first team snaps in practice, but I don't think they have that much forethought.  

At some point, you think they would want to change qbs just to see if the offense functions the same if you swap out wentz.

One thing that haunts me a bit is the premonition I have of this coming April, and it’s us and the Colts both sitting around pick 5. 

And they’re able to move up ahead of us to secure the last remaining elite QB prospect because they have two 2nd round picks and we have zero. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One thing that haunts me a bit is the premonition I have of this coming April, and it’s us and the Colts both sitting around pick 5. 

And they’re able to move up ahead of us to secure the last remaining elite QB prospect because they have two 2nd round picks and we have zero. 

I wouldn't move up in this class.  Everything I've read is this is supposed to be a historically deep class at QB.  They're saying guys will go in Rounds 2 & 3 that normally go in Round 1 cause there's like 10-12 quality QBs. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I wouldn't move up in this class.  Everything I've read is this is supposed to be a historically deep class at QB.  They're saying guys will go in Rounds 2 & 3 that normally go in Round 1 cause there's like 10-12 quality QBs. 

I've read the same thing. But even in deep classes there are tiers of QBs. Who those QBs are and what tiers they are in remain to be seen though. So yeah, if it's a no-brainer Tier 1 QB, and the price isn't too steep then you get him. If there are other QBs that are close and we think we can grab one, then don't trade up. Very situational.