Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

What Denver just traded was a small fortune. 

For a Hall of Famer. We just have up what is going to be a second round pick, a third round pick, a swap of second round picks and all of our cap space for a guy who’s old QBs coach decided he couldn’t fix. All of this after the Colts gave up their first round pick for him. He sucks so bad they’re willing to get rid of him even though it cost them a first round pick and have no one else on their roster. Think about that. They literally have no one to replace Wentz. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What Denver just traded was a small fortune. 

I am glad we didnt offer as much as Denver. The cost could roughly be translated to 4 first round picks and some change. I dont think Russ was worth that, but they are all in. We have needs that need to be addressed besides the QB position.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I am glad we didnt offer as much as Denver. The cost could roughly be translated to 4 first round picks and some change. I dont think Russ was worth that, but they are all in. We have needs that need to be addressed besides the QB position.

Well I have no idea how they go about that now? We no longer have any cap space lol

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

For a Hall of Famer. We just have up what is going to be a second round pick, a third round pick, a swap of second round picks and all of our cap space for a guy who’s old QBs coach decided he couldn’t fix. All of this after the Colts gave up their first round pick for him. He sucks so bad they’re willing to get rid of him even though it cost them a first round pick and have no one else on their roster. Think about that. They literally have no one to replace Wentz. 

Again. What else were they going to do?  

I still remember how Carson used to beat the Skins with ease.

Surprised we took all the salary cap for this year, but other than that I like the deal.

Better arm than anything we have had in a long time. 

I look forward to seeing what Scott can do for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I never heard one ounce of it being the "best move". I heard significant chants of over payment. I heard Reich has the best chance to resurrect his career. Wentz clearly isnt a top 16 QB and I figured we would trade for a bonafide #1 QB if we pulled the trigger. We missed the mark here.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/indianapolis-colts-trade-carson-wentz-considered-best-move-nfl-offseason

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Who cares? Even if that’s true what does Wentz give you? Where are we going with him? You’re getting to the exact same point you made it with Heinecke. This move does nothing for this team and it cost a small fortune. You can’t give up multiple picks and take on his full contract. You just can’t do this. 

Washington took on his entire salary really. I may be ok with him being the bridge but the stuff you are saying is ridiculous if true. Could have persuaded the Colts to eat some of it. Damm we will have little cap space meaning we have to cut some players. 

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Go after a veteran reclamation project.  This is what we just did.  We paid two draft picks and a minor pick swap for a lotto ticket at QB. If it doesn't hit, no big deal we can just draft a QB next year.  

This is a masterclass in minimization. 

“two draft picks” — a fine way to gloss over them being a 3rd and likely a 2nd.

”a minor pick swap” — that sounds a great deal better than another 4th-round pick’s worth of value.

”[nothing about the salary]” — not really a great way to spin us going from $30M+ in available cap space to less than $3M in one fell swoop. 

“we can just draft a QB next year” — sounds excellent, except we’ll probably be mediocre again next year, and now we won’t even have our 2nd round pick to help trade up.

I respect you for hanging in there with Rivera, I really do. But this deal is just really bad. This is a guy who should have been available on the FA market after the Colts cut him for cap relief. If you were going to trade for him, it should have been for very little cost and it should absolutely have included some salary relief. Instead, we traded a lot, and we got absolutely no money to offset his cost. It’s just really bad.

If this was the price to get him — it should have been a really, really, really hard pass. And it’s going to somehow look even worse if/when the Niners release Jimmy G and someone signs him for nothing more than cap space. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacDog said:

We moved down 5 spots. Not exactly back breaking.

The value is the equivalent of a fourth round pick. It was stupid. I feel like the Colts just let Rivera do the talking and sat there amazed at what he offered. Just unbelievable that one of the thirds is going to become a second. Just a bonehead move. My lord.