Brief thoughts -- 1/2 way point

squire12

YIKES!!!!!!

After a 3-1 start and a pile of injuries, GB gets the biggest injury of all in game 6 with Rodgers and things appear to be in serious danger.   Sitting at 4-4 and 2+ games back of MIN with the team looking like complete crap on MNF.   It is very possible that GB will be an underdog in 6+ games the rest of the season.  

Lets come up with some positives

--overall team is getting healthy

--Vogel seems to be a solid punter

--Martinez is playing really well at ILB

--King and Jones are getting valuable reps in the secondary

--Aaron Jones is a capable runner, but needs opportunities

Other than that, I am not sure there are many positives.  The offense really has not answer without Rodgers.   Through 2+ games, the offense cannot generate a consistent rhythm to move the ball effectively.  Defenses are daring them to throw the ball down the field, but a combination of Hundley's poor pocket awareness and the WR lack of separation means little options.  Hundley does not have the ability to make something out of nothing (not many do), but since that was a big part of the Rodgers led offense, it depletes the offense significantly.  The OL is healthy and needs to be the torch bearer for the offense and be able to dominate some games with a running attach and providing Hundley with a significant amount of time to get the ball to the outside WR.  

The defense needs someone, anyone to make a play.  Pass rush is few and far between and the Daniels/Clark just does not provide enough from the inside (for my taste).  THey are great run stuffers, but in todays NFL, pass rush is KING and there is just not enough there.   The EDGE group has been a huge disappointment.  Injuries and age are showing their effects.  Lack of depth means there is no other option and it shows.  With no pass rush, the secondary gets exposed far to often.  The rush defense is solid if not elite, but that could also be a function of teams just knowing they can pass the ball and opt for that as the means to move the ball.

Looking ahead at the next 4 games

@ Chicago (off a bye week)

Baltimore (off a bye week)

@ Pittsburgh  ( off a mini bye Thursday night week 11 game)

Tampa Bay

Both the home games are winnable games, but it is going to take a different approach and team effort to make that a reality.  This next 1/4 of the season will go a long way in determining the fates of a number of GB Packer players and coaches.  @ Chicago after their bye week with GB having played the MNF game is a tall task, then GB gets Baltimore off their bye week as well.   Then for extra fun, GB goes to PItt after they have mini bye following a Thursday night game.  

3 straight losses going into the home TB game is going to test this team more so than the 2013 season.  At least that season the division was dreadful.

From my viewpoint, things are looking pretty bleak.....hope I am wrong.   Fire up those high pick mock drafts....it could get ugly over the next 4 weeks.

THOUGHTS???

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

YIKES!!!!!!

After a 3-1 start and a pile of injuries, GB gets the biggest injury of all in game 6 with Rodgers and things appear to be in serious danger.   Sitting at 4-4 and 2+ games back of MIN with the team looking like complete crap on MNF.   It is very possible that GB will be an underdog in 6+ games the rest of the season.  

Lets come up with some positives

--overall team is getting healthy

--Vogel seems to be a solid punter

--Martinez is playing really well at ILB

--King and Jones are getting valuable reps in the secondary

--Aaron Jones is a capable runner, but needs opportunities

Other than that, I am not sure there are many positives.  The offense really has not answer without Rodgers.   Through 2+ games, the offense cannot generate a consistent rhythm to move the ball effectively.  Defenses are daring them to throw the ball down the field, but a combination of Hundley's poor pocket awareness and the WR lack of separation means little options.  Hundley does not have the ability to make something out of nothing (not many do), but since that was a big part of the Rodgers led offense, it depletes the offense significantly.  The OL is healthy and needs to be the torch bearer for the offense and be able to dominate some games with a running attach and providing Hundley with a significant amount of time to get the ball to the outside WR.  

The defense needs someone, anyone to make a play.  Pass rush is few and far between and the Daniels/Clark just does not provide enough from the inside (for my taste).  THey are great run stuffers, but in todays NFL, pass rush is KING and there is just not enough there.   The EDGE group has been a huge disappointment.  Injuries and age are showing their effects.  Lack of depth means there is no other option and it shows.  With no pass rush, the secondary gets exposed far to often.  The rush defense is solid if not elite, but that could also be a function of teams just knowing they can pass the ball and opt for that as the means to move the ball.

Looking ahead at the next 4 games

@ Chicago (off a bye week)

Baltimore (off a bye week)

@ Pittsburgh  ( off a mini bye Thursday night week 11 game)

Tampa Bay

Both the home games are winnable games, but it is going to take a different approach and team effort to make that a reality.  This next 1/4 of the season will go a long way in determining the fates of a number of GB Packer players and coaches.  @ Chicago after their bye week with GB having played the MNF game is a tall task, then GB gets Baltimore off their bye week as well.   Then for extra fun, GB goes to PItt after they have mini bye following a Thursday night game.  

3 straight losses going into the home TB game is going to test this team more so than the 2013 season.  At least that season the division was dreadful.

From my viewpoint, things are looking pretty bleak.....hope I am wrong.   Fire up those high pick mock drafts....it could get ugly over the next 4 weeks.

THOUGHTS???

With Rodgers gone all opponents are going to go all out to stop the run and force Hundley to beat them and I don't think he can.  There is a big problem and it has been for a while that = our WRs have problems getting separation.  #12 has the unique ability to throw guys open but he's one of the few that can.  

On defense our biggest issue is a woeful lack of a pass rush.  You just cannot let QBs sit back there all game long and pick you apart.  And you can't have Martinez covering their #1 WR.  Good lord.

I think there are only 2 games we have a shot at winning = the Tampa and Cleveland games.  And I don't think you are wrong.  This isn't going to be fun going forward.  The only good thing that could come out of this mess is there could be changes in this staff after the season is over.  IMO if we don't make changes at DC and WR coach even Rodgers won't be able to camouflage this sorry situation when he returns.

My thoughts are both Cobb and Clay are still overpaid, just like last season. Interested to see what the team does after the season. I think cutting Cobb is a foregone conclusion but Clay is the trickier one. He can be a good ILB on this team but not at his current price....but Clay doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will be willing to take a paycut. Would the team still cut him?

10 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

My thoughts are both Cobb and Clay are still overpaid, just like last season. Interested to see what the team does after the season. I think cutting Cobb is a foregone conclusion but Clay is the trickier one. He can be a good ILB on this team but not at his current price....but Clay doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will be willing to take a paycut. Would the team still cut him?

Take it one step further - the cupboard is absolutely empty behind Clay. The same could be said at other positions too. TT has had some really bad recent drafts. This is an issue.

Campen has been the MVP thus far. Smoke and mirrors work being done. How many more times is Bulaga going down before he doesn't get back up ? 

We have a heck of a lot of money tied up in guys that simply aren't producing and not a whole lot of young guys rising - thats a bad combo

I was just thinking about this and tried to answer it without using a google search.

Who was our last drafted player to ascend and play at a Pro Bowl level - or near to it for a couple years ? Burnett ? Do we have to go back to Lang or Sitton ? That's a long frickin time ago

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I was just thinking about this and tried to answer it without using a google search.

Who was our last drafted player to ascend and play at a Pro Bowl level - or near to it for a couple years ? Burnett ? Do we have to go back to Lang or Sitton ? That's a long frickin time ago

Burnett is the 3rd best safety. 

In the NFC North. And that has been the case since Harrison Smith & Glover Quin arrived.

He is not and never has been a Pro Bowl level player. 

Archived