Potential Targets

LETSGOBROWNIES

We’ve got a good baseline of what they like and what analytics favors and now with a lot of testing completed we can start putting names in as potential targets using what we know.  I feel pretty confident if we apply the following we’ll see the guys our FO likes.

- young: rSO/JR.  expect under 22 at the beginning of the season.

- early breakout age: no late bloomers, players should have multiple seasons of experience.  At least 2 years as a starter and/or 3 as a contributor.

- From a major conference

- Above average athleticism. Not to say they’re all H/W/S freaks, but raw athletic ability won’t be a reason for failure. 

- Productive: They’re not going to take a guy whose ability is a projection, they want a history of high level play.  Awards are a plus, conference and/or national 

- Team Captain

I’ll start plugging names in and how many of those 6 categories they meet.  

Is there anything else I’m missing?

• Like 2

I saw some data that raw athleticism is most important than any other position at defensive end in terms of achieving the desired results of getting pressure compared to receiver, QB, running back etc.

They do not rate defensive tackle as a hugely important position so that will not be drafted until the 2nd or 3rd round. 

So I think we will take the most athletic defensive end at 13, I also think we may trade up 1-2 spots to do this if they think it is needed. 

• Like 1

Travon Walker: 5/5

Hutchinson: 4/5 (4th year player)

Thibodeaux: 5/5

Karlaftis: 5/5

David Ojabo: 2/5 (one year of production, late bloomer, age)

Jermaine Johnson: 3/5 (age, late bloomer) 

Kingsley Enagbare: 3/5 (age, athleticism)

Drake Jackson: 5/5* (only tested jumps, but both were good)

Boye Mafe: 4/5 (age, will turn 24 in season)

Myjai Sanders: 3/5: (age, conference)

Cameron Thomas: 3/5* (has not tested, conference)

I’m finding out rather quickly that either captains aren’t listed or they’re changing game to game.  Or I’m a moron who can’t find them.  Or some combination.

Captain is a bonus, but I’m just not finding it easily so I’m going to ignore it. We can just post the other 5 categories.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I saw some data that raw athleticism is most important than any other position at defensive end in terms of achieving the desired results of getting pressure compared to receiver, QB, running back etc.

They do not rate defensive tackle as a hugely important position so that will not be drafted until the 2nd or 3rd round. 

So I think we will take the most athletic defensive end at 13, I also think we may trade up 1-2 spots to do this if they think it is needed. 

Yeah you can expect whoever they take at DE to be athletic, but there are a ton of those guys this year.

I don’t see a DT either personally.  

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Can you link this?

Not saying this isn't true, but where did you get that info that DT is less important to our FO? I thought I remember reading that DT is up there with edge and CB.

Who do you think is on the short list? Travon Walker tested really well, but man does Jordan Davis just seem way better if I'm choosing between the two. David could end up the best big DT in the league in a few years. Also, a lot of edge guys tested ridiculous so could that push edge to a second round pick just from a draft class standpoint?

At DT there isn't much at the very top. The other to DT fizzled and now I'm seeing Devonte Wyatt in done mocks going top-20, even over Davis (which IMO is crazy talk). My guy is still Davis who also happens to check off most of those boxes of what our FO looks for.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Travon Walker: 5/5

Hutchinson: 4/5 (4th year player)

Thibodeaux: 5/5

Karlaftis: 5/5

I’m finding out rather quickly that either captains aren’t listed or they’re changing game to game.  Or I’m a moron who can’t find them.  Or some combination.

Captain is a bonus, but I’m just not finding it easily so I’m going to ignore it. We can just post the other 5 categories.

Since you're already up...maybe do the top receivers as well and any outlier players--I mentioned Jordan Davis above, but this could also be guys like Charles Cross if our FO knows something we don't about Conklin--who our FO might have their eye on at 13 or a small trade-back.

• Like 1

Burks: 4/5 (age, but borderline, will be 22)

Wilson: 4/5 (age, but borderline, will be 22)

London: 4/5* has not tested

Williams: 4/5* has not tested but speed isn’t really a concern 

David Bell: 4/5 (speed, 4.65.  This could change if he improves at his pro day or if they have GPS data to ease the concern)

Justyn Ross: 4/5 (age)

Chris Olave: 4/5 (age)

George Pickens: 5/5 

Just looking at these guys, assuming London and Williams athleticism isn’t in question, i could see the being potentially rated higher as they’re both a year younger.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Since you're already up...maybe do the top receivers as well and any outlier players--I mentioned Jordan Davis above, but this could also be guys like Charles Cross if our FO knows something we don't about Conklin--who our FO might have their eye on at 13 or a small trade-back.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Burks: 4/5 (age, but borderline, will be 22)

Wilson: 4/5 (age, but borderline, will be 22)

London: 4/5* has not tested

Williams: 4/5* has not tested but speed isn’t really a concern 

• Like 1

Jordan “Geordan” Davis: 4/5 (age, but shouldn’t be too big of a concern as he was a day 1 contributor)

Kyle Hamilton: 5/5

Evan Neal: 4/5* has not tested 

Charles Cross: 5/5

DeMarvin Leal: 4/5 (age)

DeVonte Wyatt: 4/5 (age, will 24 this month)

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Day 3 prospects:

Jeremy Ruckert, TE OSU

4/5* has not tested yet.  

Tariq Woolen, CB UTSA

2/5 (age, breakout age, conference)

James Cook, RB UGA

He’s tricky, it depends how you look at his contributions (not unlike a lot of guys from big programs)

He’s at best 4/5 (age), but that means you’re giving him credit for an early breakout age and being productive. If not, 2/5.   He didn’t get a lot of touches his first 3 seasons when he was behind Swift and part of a good group of backs who split carries. That said, when he did play he was productive.  It’s also a situation where it’s hard to ding a guy for not getting a ton of carries, that’s just not how they do it.  They always platoon their backs (largely because they seem to have a slew of good ones).

I’d lean closer to 4/5 personally.