Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

I think the thing that has changed his success on the field this season has been his relationship with Kevin O'Connell.  Zimmer got in Kirk's head and increased his tendency to be risk averse.  While still not a "gun slinger" Cousins has pushed the ball more down field then just check downs to the running backs and screens that rarely worked.  Don't get me wrong, there could still be more chances for Kirk to let it rip, but the change this season has been noticeable.  I think the credit he is given by his offensive teammates should count for some remaining skeptics to take another look.  He's not perfect, but he's better than we've ever seen him before.  KOC deserves a lot of credit for what he's brought out in Kirk.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The perception of him. Last year he was vilified for the vaccine stuff, just like Rodgers was.

ummm... perceptions require context. particularly if we're talking about the personal beliefs of an athlete off the field.

if we were discussing Cousins' vaccine beliefs now, everyone would feel the same. about that topic.

• Like 1

Winning bias is real and that's probably the main reason why I feel like so many have changed their opinion of Kirk this season..I personally think Kirk played slightly better in previous seasons. The major difference this year when compared to last 2 seasons is that KOC has been a better HC than Zimmer at situational football, clock management etc and defense has been able to create turnovers when needed in 4th Quarters. Kirk played decently in 4th Quarters last year too, had the team in position to win in several games in 4th Quarter but we had issues of kicker missing 35 yard game winning FG (whereas this year kicker makes 61 yd FG this year), defense struggling in end of half sequences which led to most of the losses. Defense despite giving lot of yards this year has been very good in red zone and have been creating timely turnovers.

Kirk himself has been slightly less accurate this season when compared to past....missing throws that he used to regularly make...his EPA/play, even PFF grade is slightly down this year..one positive sign is that he has slightly been more aggressive and doesn't seem to mind forcing to Jefferson when needed, something that was lacking previously. I am fine with Kirk until next season but I hope we don't prematurely extend him before playoffs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The perception of him. Last year he was vilified for the vaccine stuff, just like Rodgers was.

I wouldn't put Kirk and Rodgers in same category...I don't even think many people outside some Vikings fans cared about Kirk and vaccine stuff because he wasn't the only NFL player that was hesitant about taking vaccine and he didn't really create some big mess about it or anything during the season...Rodgers though was like on a whole different level of acting like a douchebag, lying, going on about some insane conspiracy theories and acting like he was apparently being cancelled while writing opinion pieces on ESPN

Edited by SotanKing
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SotanKing said:

Winning bias is real and that's probably the main reason why I feel like so many have changed their opinion of Kirk this season..I personally think Kirk played slightly better in previous seasons. The major difference this year when compared to last 2 seasons is that KOC has been a better HC than Zimmer at situational football, clock management etc and defense has been able to create turnovers when needed in 4th Quarters. Kirk played decently in 4th Quarters last year too, had the team in position to win in several games in 4th Quarter but we had issues of kicker missing 35 yard game winning FG (whereas this year kicker makes 61 yd FG this year), defense struggling in end of half sequences which led to most of the losses. Defense despite giving lot of yards this year has been very good in red zone and have been creating timely turnovers.

Kirk himself has been slightly less accurate this season when compared to past....missing throws that he used to regularly make...his EPA/play, even PFF grade is slightly down this year..one positive sign is that he has slightly been more aggressive and doesn't seem to mind forcing to Jefferson when needed, something that was lacking previously. I am fine with Kirk until next season but I hope we don't prematurely extend him before playoffs.

this is an extrememly well written and astute opinion piece. bravo.

56 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

I wouldn't put Kirk and Rodgers in same category...I don't even think many people outside some Vikings fans cared about Kirk and vaccine stuff because he wasn't the only NFL player that was hesitant about taking vaccine and he didn't really create some big mess about it or anything during the season...Rodgers though was like on a whole different level of acting like a douchebag, going on about some insane conspiracy theories and acting like he was apparently being cancelled while writing opinion pieces on ESPN

this perhaps is even better. it's certainly more entertaining.

you are on your game, my man!

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The perception of Cousins has changed related to this because the perception of a great many in the public has changed.  In that respect, I don't think that Cousins has changed at all, but as more information has come out there are a lot more people that agree with Cousins. You can see that in the number of people that have went out and gotten "up to date" when they were eligible.

As far as Cousins' play on the field, he has been a lot more willing to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball while taking hits.  A lot of the willingness to go for it I attribute to coaching, but Cousins' increased willingness to be fearless and absorb incoming hits is an attitude change that Cousins needed to make in himself even if it was at the suggestion of coaches. 

• Like 2