Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Is there a metric that combats this notion of “well of course Cousins raw stats look good, his defence is so bad comparably, that he needs to constantly throw to catch up and he gets the ball back with more offensive possessions comparably”

I'd argue that Wins and Losses combat it. It's the only stat that ultimately matters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Is there a metric that combats this notion of “well of course Cousins raw stats look good, his defence is so bad comparably, that he needs to constantly throw to catch up and he gets the ball back with more offensive possessions comparably”

Garbage time Stats. Prior to last year Kirk put up a lot of bulk stats in garbage time, but between last year and this year there haven’t been many garbage time opportunities and he’s been playing some of the best football of his career.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'd argue that Wins and Losses combat it. It's the only stat that ultimately matters.

Apparently the only thing that matters anymore is your DVOA ranking.

I'd love to see a team go out there and say "We don't care about winning championships. We just want a high DVOA score!"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Kirk Cousins has thrown for 4,322 yards so far this season. That is the 2ND MOST ALL TIME for the Vikings in a single season trailing only Daunte Culpepper’s team record of 4,717 set in 2004.

Cousins also holds the third and fourth spots for most yards by a Vikings QB in a season with 4,322 in 2022 and 4,298 in 2018.

vikings.com

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Kirk Cousins has thrown for 4,322 yards so far this season. That is the 2ND MOST ALL TIME for the Vikings in a single season trailing only Daunte Culpepper’s team record of 4,717 set in 2004.

Cousins also holds the third and fourth spots for most yards by a Vikings QB in a season with 4,322 in 2022 and 4,298 in 2018.

vikings.com

And he finished with 4,547

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

Cousins is 3,841 yards behind Tommy Kramer to take second place as the Vikings' career passing leader.

he's over 12,000 yards behind Tarkenton.

So, as long as he's around next season, he'll likely surpass Kramer.  Catching Tark would be a little more difficult.  But, even if he were to surpass Tarkenton, there's clearly no way he'd ever be considered a better QB, but I can make the argument that he's a better QB than both Kramer and Daunte.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I do t think there’s an argument to be made. He’s better, simple as that. 

I don't think there is either, but some have seemed to believe Daunte was a really good QB.  I always had an issue with his ability to read defenses and thought he was a product of the OC he worked with.  He certainly had talent, but never thought he was a very good QB.  And I can't tell you how many different people I got in an argument with about Tommy.  As far as I was concerned, I always thought the late Wade Wilson was a better QB than Tommy.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yep. I think Kwesi understands that "it's a lot easier to get worse at the QB position than to get better."

At the same time, it’s a lot easier to find better if you get worse in the immediate term. In other words, sometimes you need a top 10 pick to get it done and if you’re okay with above average you may never become great. 

50 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

At the same time, it’s a lot easier to find better if you get worse in the immediate term. In other words, sometimes you need a top 10 pick to get it done and if you’re okay with above average you may never become great. 

Too many teams have gone the “it must get worse before it gets better” route and they just stay in the cellar. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

This is true, but Kirk Cousins is pretty similar to Matt Stafford when ranking QBs. You can win with him, but he needs a lot of help.