Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Wouldn’t be opposed to this approach but the defense is in such poor shape I don’t think the Vikes can afford to again use high picks on defensive players to not see them contribute day one. 

The only reason they didn't contribute Day 1 was injury.  You can't assume that all high defensive picks are going to get injured.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The only reason they didn't contribute Day 1 was injury.  You can't assume that all high defensive picks are going to get injured.  

Booth barely cracked the lineup when he was healthy. Maybe that would have changed during the course of the year? And there were all kinds of reports coming out regarding Cine and essentially being buried on the depth chart. KOC doesn’t seem like the type ie Zimmer to sit rookies just because…. hence Ingram pretty much being the unquestioned starter. So I’m not entirely convinced injuries are the only factor at play here but essentially both players lost a lot of time as rookies and that doesn’t bode well for year two. I’m less concerned about Cine, we’ve got a pretty good safety duo as it is but we absolutely needed Booth to be a day one starter by year two. Can he get there? Otherwise, that first draft isn’t looking hot and this years draft is so lacking in capital it’s going to be difficult to make meaningful changes. I’m fine giving them time to evaluate but at the same time, Cine and Booth absolutely need to come in and get meaningful playing time in 2023 or they will start to get the bust label. 

• Like 1

It seems like they had a plan with Cine, but a compound fracture will change things pretty quick. There was absolutely no need to rush Cine onto the field with Smith and Bynum back there. 

Booth. Well, there's definitely reason for concern. But cornerback is probably the second toughest position to learn in the NFL. It might take a little time for the light to come on, but he also has to stay on the field. I know our medical staff must have given the green light last year. Let's just hope all the kinks got worked out this season.

• Like 2

Booth was basically only healthy for 4 1/2 games including preseason in his rookie year, so I don't think "barely cracked the lineup when healthy" is a fair criticism.  In the game where he finally was fully healthy and prepared to play, he started and played 94% of the snaps.  He struggled, but that shouldn't come as a surprise, playing CB as a rookie is hard, and even harder with no training camp.  

I guess we should get back on topic.  😉

• Like 2

Kirk Cousins just got done with his 5th season as a Viking. The last Vikings QB to play 5 straight seasons (6 total)…..Daunte Culpepper from 2000 - 2006. For comparison….

Daunte Culpepper had a passer rating of 91.5 with 20,162 yards, 135 touchdowns and 86 interceptions in 81 games for the Vikings in his career.

Kirk Cousins has a passer rating of 100.9 with 20,934 yards, 153 touchdowns and 50 interceptions in 80 games for the Vikings in his career.

bleedpurple.com

• Like 3

There are things I love about Kirk, and things I don't. But it's hard to see how they get a better QB any time soon. The real question for me is, can they fix the defense enough for his great play to matter? If not, I'm not sure what I do. Do the GM, coach, and owner see eye to eye on starting over? I doubt it. 

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 1:35 PM, wcblack34 said:

Cousins. Extension. Book it. 

We get it.  You’re in the camp that thinks Cousins is getting extended. Knowing these owners, you’re probably right, unfortunately. Maybe they’ll be able to see beyond themselves and their sense of “relevancy” and surprise us.  

I personally don’t mind 2022 Cousins but he is soon to be 36 years old, and just because specific QB played at a decent level into their 40s doesn’t mean anything for Cousins. You have no choice in the matter if you’re the Vikings. If you don’t at least have a plan in place for life after Cousins, or in the case of him getting injured, then I question those in charge more than I already do.

On a potential trade - I don’t see a team that would trade what we want for him and take the hit of his contract.  I also wouldn’t don’t trade him for anything less than a 1st Round selection. 2022 Cousins is easily worth a 1st Round pick and a lot more. The trading team will get 2-4 more years (hopefully) of Cousins’ level play. You don’t get that for cheap  

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 1