Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

6 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

The fear of having a bad QB is too much for some fans. 

I think the biggest fear for most is having to watch a bad team. I for one, don’t hate it if we are in a true rebuild and going after that QBOTF. You really can’t do that still on this team. You do that to a player like JJ right now he isn’t signing that second contract in Minnesota. Either we have to find a way up this year and select on, or next year. 

Honestly the last real good QB we had success with drafting was Daunte (yes I know Teddy had a chance before being hurt). And before that it really was someone that was drafted before a lot on this forum were born. The draft history just hasn’t been there for us. 

So… what does “early extension” mean? 

Because we all know these reports are being funneled to the insiders by either the teams or the player’s representation. 

March 23rd continues to be the date to watch for Cousins. I would still be very surprised to see the Vikings carry Kirk on the $36M cap hit. 

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Thus far this off season is going well and as i hoped. In addition, I’m hoping for no extension for Cousins. If Cousins asks for a trade we can see, but no obligation. We can hold him through the draft, and if we like move him after the draft too. 

I'd trade him now. Otherwise they are in draft heck....

• Like 1

Couple questions:

1.  The Vikings have had how many QBs start for 10 years or more?

2.  Of all the QBs the Vikings have drafted, how many have started more than 42 games (3 years or so) for the Vikings?  

3.  How many of the Vikings drafted QBs have made the SB?

I'm thinking the only QB the Vikings drafted who won a SB is Brad Johnson . . . Am I missing anyone?

My point is no team really knows they're winning the SB with some kid they draft to play QB -- but without a tenurable good one, your team isn't relevant.   I.e.:  the Cowboys went from Staubach to White to Aikman . . . Then toiled in mediocrity.   The Packers had Starr, then stunk and now have been on a 30-year tear of contending.  

Its time over the next two drafts for the Vikings to find that guy🙏🤞.  Cousins will be gone at some point, and its crazy to believe he's climbed the leader board for wins, passing stats etc. to where he's around top-5 all time for the Vikes.  Roll that around a while.  

12 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Couple questions:

1.  The Vikings have had how many QBs start for 10 years or more?

2.  Of all the QBs the Vikings have drafted, how many have started more than 42 games (3 years or so) for the Vikings?  

3.  How many of the Vikings drafted QBs have made the SB?

I'm thinking the only QB the Vikings drafted who won a SB is Brad Johnson . . . Am I missing anyone?

My point is no team really knows they're winning the SB with some kid they draft to play QB -- but without a tenurable good one, your team isn't relevant.   I.e.:  the Cowboys went from Staubach to White to Aikman . . . Then toiled in mediocrity.   The Packers had Starr, then stunk and now have been on a 30-year tear of contending.  

Its time over the next two drafts for the Vikings to find that guy🙏🤞.  Cousins will be gone at some point, and its crazy to believe he's climbed the leader board for wins, passing stats etc. to where he's around top-5 all time for the Vikes.  Roll that around a while.  

I believe Tarvaris Jackson got a Super Bowl ring as the backup QB for the Seahawks...but, I understand your point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to Pro-Football-Reference, Kirk Cousins' Yards-Per-Game average is 261.7. That is the highest average of any QB in Vikings history. Kirk’s INT% is 1.8%. That is the lowest of any QB in Vikings history that has started 20 or more games. He also ranks 2nd all-time with completion% at 67.8%, 3rd all-time for TDs (153) and 3rd all-time for Yardage (20,934) in team history as well.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to Pro-Football-Reference, Kirk Cousins' Yards-Per-Game average is 261.7. That is the highest average of any QB in Vikings history. Kirk’s INT% is 1.8%. That is the lowest of any QB in Vikings history that has started 20 or more games. He also ranks 2nd all-time with completion% at 67.8%, 3rd all-time for TDs (153) and 3rd all-time for Yardage (20,934) in team history as well.

He should pass Kramer for yards and TDs this year, and I think he's first in comp % if you use that 20 game threshold - Sam Bradford only played 17 games.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Word is that Cousins camp asked for a lower then market extension from Vikings, and Vikings said no. No further details revealed. 

Thumbs up from me

I’m not sure how much of a true discount they were offering.

The reports have been that Cousins and his camp were/are willing to sign a deal for under the market $40M per year, but the hanging point remains the guaranteed money. It sounds as if Cousins’ camp still wants a fully, or heavily, guaranteed contract. Given Kwesi’s numerous comments about flexibility over the past few weeks, the Vikings giving Cousins that level of guaranteed contract is unlikely. For now. 

I maintain that there is a QB, or two, that the Vikings really like in the draft, and they have a plan to go get that player. If they are able to get that player, then 2023 will be Cousins’ final year in Minnesota. But if the Vikings can’t create a pathway to get that player, then I would expect them to revisit contract talks with Cousins after the draft. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't see Kirk playing into his 40s.

He's going to be 35 here soon. I think he has 3 years left in the league. If we don't find a longterm solution this offseason, it needs to come next season.

I'll be interested to see how his body, as he ages, is going to recover after all these beatings he's taken over the past few years.  

• Like 1

According to the guys at SKOR North, the Vikings are now at #2.  What would Vikings fans think of Lamar (staying) in purple?  You are one team who has a capable QB to send back to Baltimore in trade, so that may be a very attractive option for them. 

It's probably a fun subject for the media to talk about, but one question at this point is "Would Lamar even be an upgrade over Kirk?"  He does have an MVP in his career, but he also has some injuries in the past and he's not the passer Kirk is.  Maybe this would just be a lateral move when all is said and done.

Edited by SodeeWater_Cheezburger
  • Like 1