Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I just don't want to be too effusive with my praise. Lol

Now, when Pittsburgh won it in 2005, NY Giants won it in 2007, Baltimore in 2012, Seattle in 2013 and Philly in 2017, how many people were calling Roethlisberger, Eli, Flacco, Wilson or Foles a top 15 QB at that time? My guess is not that many.

Both Roethlisberger and Wilson were only in their 2nd years and have proven to be HoF level QBs after that, so it's kind of irrelevant whether they were considered top-15 at the time or not, because they probably clearly were, even without the recognition of it. 

Eli was 12th in passing yards that season, so yes, he probably was considered a top-15 QB at the time.  Flacco had a pretty good year that year, so yes, he probably was considered the 15th best QB that year.  Throwing Foles in their is kind of ridiculous since he was a backup...he struck lightning in a bottle.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.  It struck Foles in 2017, and then you have to go back to 2000 when it struck Dilfer. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 6:58 AM, vike daddy said:

Which Viking receivers have caught the most passes from Kirk Cousins:

353 Adam Thielen
318 Justin Jefferson
205 Dalvin Cook

165 Stefon DIggs
131 Kyle Rudolph
102 KJ Osborn
88 Irv Smith Jr
87 Tyler Conklin
65 Alexander Mattison
61 CJ Ham
59 T.J. Hockenson

44 Laquon Treadwell
42 Olabisi Johson
26 Chad Beebe
1 Garrett Bradbury
1 Kirk Cousins

Jefferson should pass Thielen this year...
KJ should pass Rudolph...
Hockenson should move up 4 ranks or so...
Mattison might pass Conklin...

Laquon should not feel threatened by the ever charging Bradbury...

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 7:14 PM, vike daddy said:

cousins2.jpg

thoughts? lol

Quarterbacks ahead of Cousins, in my opinion:

Mahomes

Burrow

Hurts

Allen

Herbert

Jackson

Rodgers

Tua

I think Cousins comes next...clearly top 10. Watson could leapfrog Cousins if he returns to past form...but still in top 10.

• Like 1

It's a stretch to put Tua ahead of Cousins.  I can't do that.  Otherwise, I have no other arguments with your list.  I may have put Trevor Lawrence ahead of Cousins, but even that is questionable.  I think Cousins, Stafford, Prescott, Lawrence, Tua, Watson, Carr and Murray are all in that "2nd tier" of QBs with Cousins in that top 2-3 of that tier.  He might fall down that list because of his age, but he's been at his peak for the last 2-3 years...where he goes from here is up for debate.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's a stretch to put Tua ahead of Cousins.  I can't do that.  Otherwise, I have no other arguments with your list.  I may have put Trevor Lawrence ahead of Cousins, but even that is questionable.  I think Cousins, Stafford, Prescott, Lawrence, Tua, Watson, Carr and Murray are all in that "2nd tier" of QBs with Cousins in that top 2-3 of that tier.  He might fall down that list because of his age, but he's been at his peak for the last 2-3 years...where he goes from here is up for debate.

I think the two attributes that put  Cousins in the top ten are consistency and dependability.   Neither are "sexy" but really important.   The reason I have Tua slightly ahead of him is Tua's accuracy and his youth (although his brain my be ancient after the concussions); but, they could easily flip.

In your 2nd tier, I am bullish on Lawrence.  He could definitely be in the top 10 or even top 5 by the end of the season. Stafford, Goff, Prescott are all hot or cold.  Murray, in my opinion,  is in the bottom ten QBs in my opinion.  

22 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I think the two attributes that put  Cousins in the top ten are consistency and dependability.   Neither are "sexy" but really important.   The reason I have Tua slightly ahead of him is Tua's accuracy and his youth (although his brain my be ancient after the concussions); but, they could easily flip.

In your 2nd tier, I am bullish on Lawrence.  He could definitely be in the top 10 or even top 5 by the end of the season. Stafford, Goff, Prescott are all hot or cold.  Murray, in my opinion,  is in the bottom ten QBs in my opinion.  

In that 2nd tier, I certainly have Kyler at the bottom of it, because I only believe he's a slightly better version of Baker.  Which may mean that Lincoln Riley is the new Jeff Tedford, in that he is known for getting lots of college QBs drafted, but not necessarily developed them well enough to be good in the NFL.  So, up next we'll see if Caleb Williams is the next Aaron Rodgers or will he be another Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, or Joey Harrington. 

Kirk Cousins is entering his sixth season with the Vikings, and it could be his last. His contract expires after the season. And he told reporters on Wednesday that he expects no further contract discussions until after the upcoming season ends, via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com.

Earlier this year, the Vikings restructured the deal to create 2023 cap space. If Cousins doesn’t re-sign, they’ll take a $28.5 million cap charge in 2024. The situation potentially gives Cousins plenty of leverage after the season. It also gives the Vikings plenty of flexibility.

If Cousins finds a higher level of performance and achievement this year, the Vikings will presumably keep him and pay him accordingly. If not, he’ll move on. The risk the team is taking comes from the possibility that Cousins plays well enough to end on the short list of options for other teams pursuing quarterbacks.

Cousins: “Until then, just focus on this season and the job to do right now."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/14/kirk-cousins-doesnt-expect-further-contract-talks-with-vikings-until-march/

Jefferson: "Me and Kirk always have that chemistry, are talking all of the time, so the chemistry part is not something we were worrying about.  We knew as soon as I got back and came back here, it was going to be like old times."

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-reconnects-quickly-minicamp

didn't someone say a year ago that they'd understand when Jefferson bolts from the team because of his dissatisfaction with Cousins? just like Diggs did? no need to call them out by name, but boy oh boy was that ever a biased nothing burger view.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Regardless if Cousins is with us in 2024 or not, how long do you expect him to play?

I think he plays until he's 38, which for him is 3 more seasons. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will play into his 40s.

I think he plays as long as he's a starter. Frankly, he's improved every year in the league. He's heady and doesn't rely on physical skills as much as some. He's never had a big injury. If he stays healthy, I think he'll play until he's 40-41. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Cousins wanted/wants an extension that guarantees him through the 2025 season. I’m guessing that’s his timeline for playing. 

I think it's probably more about being realistic about his prospects of getting a deal that would take him past 2025. No team would have signed him to 2027, simply because that would put him in that space where QBs see precipitous drops in performance. 

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I think it's probably more about being realistic about his prospects of getting a deal that would take him past 2025. No team would have signed him to 2027, simply because that would put him in that space where QBs see precipitous drops in performance. 

Exactly. And teams aren’t going to commit to a 38 year old QB, and I don’t see Cousins jumping from team to team at the end of his career.