Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Only if he'd agree to 1 year deals, and I don't think there's any way that happens. My guess is that he wants one more contract before retirement.

Unless he sets some passing records and takes the Vikings deep into the playoffs, I think what he will be offered in FA will not likely be a top 5 QB contract and maybe not even top 10.

Kirk's season to season consistency is both his biggest strength as well as his greatest weakness.  I think the rest of the league has decided that he's reached his ceiling,  and has done so with great talent surrounding him. In other words, he is what he is.

I think if the offensive line gives Kirk protection all season, and Jefferson, Addison, Osborne and Hockenson show up like we think they can, Kirk might be a top 5 QB in 2023.  If the defense improves to middle of the pack, the Vikings will be very dangerous. I think all that has to work for Kirk to get a big multi-year contract in FA.

• Like 3

An extension for Cousins just puts the Vikings back into the same cap situation that they were in under Spielman, and the type of cap situation that Kwesi has been very strategic in navigating out of and avoiding. 

Outside of Cousins signing an unbelievably team friendly deal, and even then I don’t think it’s all that workable, this is going to be Cousins’ last year in Minnesota. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

An extension for Cousins just puts the Vikings back into the same cap situation that they were in under Spielman, and the type of cap situation that Kwesi has been very strategic in navigating out of and avoiding. 

Outside of Cousins signing an unbelievably team friendly deal, and even then I don’t think it’s all that workable, this is going to be Cousins’ last year in Minnesota. 

I agree with this. I would love to pick a QB in the first round and keep Cousins for a year. But like you state, Cousins would have to take a very team friendly deal. He has not shown a history of doing this, so I have very little hope he will now. Question is, how much of a discount would Cousin’s have to give to make the salary cap numbers make sense? 20m - 25m/year? 

22 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Question is, how much of a discount would Cousin’s have to give to make the salary cap numbers make sense? 20m - 25m/year?

$25M per year is probably where you’d have to set your line. Which is just not a realistic asking point for Cousins, as his market rate is ~$40M per year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

top-10-salaries.jpg

remember when the criticism against Cousins was that we was overpaid? good times.

Yup. QB contracts all look better with age. Cousins' was no different. I still think he's extended or re-signed after the season. Honestly, I'd be fine if he retired a Viking. Which is funny, because I was adamantly against his signing (only because I knew his contract was going to be huge at that time and that he needed a better team around him to win it all). He's grown as a QB here in MN, and I don't think that growth has reached its peak yet. He'll command a big contract, but it won't be a market setter like Burrow's. In fact, I think he'd resign here for less than that $40MM mark. Time will tell.

• Like 4

On 9/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, Captain Relax said:

While listening to the panelists on ESPN's "Get Up" talk about Dak Prescott's need to be able to play great and be a hero in the playoffs, I thought they could substitute the name Prescott for Cousins and be having the exact same conversation. 

It's because they are basically the same QB...except that Prescott clearly has a better offensive line and defense than Kirk has ever had. 

• Like 2