Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Just provides a little more evidence that Dak and Kirk are essentially the same QB...and if Baker Mayfield wouldn't talk he could be in that same conversation.

The graph would indicate Kirk is much better than Dak or Baker had hitting his open receivers.

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

The graph would indicate Kirk is much better than Dak or Baker had hitting his open receivers.

True, but they are basically in the same quadrant...it's just that Kirk is out on an island by himself.  Dak and Baker are a little less accurate, but clearly they do throw in the same realm of open windows as Kirk. 

Edited by swede700

Cousins needs one touchdown pass to move into sole possession of second place in franchise history. Cousins is tied with Tommy Kramer (159). After that, only Fran Tarkenton has thrown more scores for Minnesota (239).

With four more TD passes, Cousins will move into the top 20 all-time in NFL history. He trails Dave Krieg by three entering Week 3 after passing Hall of Famers Sonny Jurgensen and Dan Fouts with four at Philadelphia.

https://www.vikings.com/news/chargers-week3-final-thoughts?fbclid=IwAR2zLtj45CmPYD9YcpsQIt5Knltl-E_4qhrXtbE-qj6Yof1t4eYtZCUveSo

• Like 1

It doesn't seem likely that Cousins will be around next season. If that's the case, I see no reason to hang on to Mullins.  That would leave Hall as the only QB on the roster at the start of free agency.  I don't think Hall is near as a starter for the Vikings. 

It is likely that KAM drafts a QB in the first round in the spring.  That would mean two young QB's with no starting experience in the NFL.  It would be important,  I think, to bring in a vet with starting experience. I would not object to either Gardner Minshew or Andy Dalton on a 1 year contract.  I believe both will be free agents after this season and both have some ability to play well while being place holder for the rookie.  What do you think?

4 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

It doesn't seem likely that Cousins will be around next season. If that's the case, I see no reason to hang on to Mullins.  That would leave Hall as the only QB on the roster at the start of free agency.  I don't think Hall is near as a starter for the Vikings. 

It is likely that KAM drafts a QB in the first round in the spring.  That would mean two young QB's with no starting experience in the NFL.  It would be important,  I think, to bring in a vet with starting experience. I would not object to either Gardner Minshew or Andy Dalton on a 1 year contract.  I believe both will be free agents after this season and both have some ability to play well while being place holder for the rookie.  What do you think?

Dalton signed a 2 year contract. Not sure about Minshew. Neither of them will keep this team, as currently constructed, competitive. Ideally, they’d extend Kirk for one year and draft a rookie to prepare for 2025. I don’t know if Kirk would go for it or not. But if you’re so signing a lesser QB, you might as well just let the rookie start. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Ideally, they’d extend Kirk for one year and draft a rookie to prepare for 2025. I don’t know if Kirk would go for it or not. 

it would be a gift from Kirko if he'd be willing, but he has the type of character to do it. and of course, he'd make 35 million or so.

he'd play Alex Smith to a hopeful new Mahomes.

did Smith get a two year contract when he left the Chiefs?

6 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Why do you need to let Mullins go just to sign some other journeyman veteran?

• Like 1

I don’t see why Kirk would not be looking for 3 yr deal somewhere. And he can still likely land that. 

Depending on our draft position, and how likely a QB is going to be available, we could choose not to sign a stop gap QB. But that’s really more so if we’re slated in the top 10 slots as a starting point

Edited by CriminalMind