Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Sounds like a good way to draft in the top 10 every year

It also creates more value and opportunity than our current position. A lot of FA's don't want to play here. Our only real avenue is drafting high end, blue chip prospects. Franchise QBs are in that range. Then FA's will want to play here.

4 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

It also creates more value and opportunity than our current position. A lot of FA's don't want to play here. Our only real avenue is drafting high end, blue chip prospects. Franchise QBs are in that range. Then FA's will want to play here.

Which FA have indicated they don't want to play in MN?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Sure...that's why we see the Jets, Jaguars, Dolphins and Lions in the top 10 practically every year and they're just rolling in the FAs...even with their "franchise QBs" currently and in the past (in the case of the Lions). 

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It appears that Stretch Armstrong has entered the chat. Clearly, every free agent has wanted to play with the New York Jets because of their top 10 investments in QBs.

Your passive aggressive comments are cute. However, you're ignorant in you can't acknowledge the fact that it has been a bit of a problem for the last couple of years. I'm not saying Kirk is the reason. I'm saying its been a problem.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Sure...that's why we see the Jets, Jaguars, Dolphins and Lions in the top 10 practically every year and they're just rolling in the FAs...even with their "franchise QBs" currently and in the past (in the case of the Lions). 

The Jets had Barr until we gave him an even greater bad contract. The Lions got a haul a couple years ago, but they didn't pan out due to injuries and other things. Dolphins, Jags, and Bucs have the tax advantage of Florida. Tua wasn't a franchise QB, but I belie Lawrence is.

We, as NFL fans, have seen the franchise QB effect of Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, et.

I don't think this is an all in move. I think it allows KOC to implement his system with a good QB while giving them the past chance to compete for and in the playoffs the next couple years.  They can still look for the QBOTF in the meantime. 

I do think that they would have considered trading him if teams were offering enough

38 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

The subhuman aside. This path was the most logical. Will it translate into a championship? Probably not. Most people are ok with that though.

This is why the Vikings are the most purgatory team in the NFL. 

No Championship? No problem. 

It suits the Wilfs, it suits Kirk, it suits the front office, they all keep their sweet jobs.

It's not supposed to suit the fans. But maybe after this long the fans are getting Stockholm Syndrome.

It's easier just to accept the regular season is all one really needs. 

Like Cypher in the Matrix. It's easier to enjoy the fake steak than strive for anything better. 

6 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

The Jets had Barr until we gave him an even greater bad contract. The Lions got a haul a couple years ago, but they didn't pan out due to injuries and other things. Dolphins, Jags, and Bucs have the tax advantage of Florida. Tua wasn't a franchise QB, but I belie Lawrence is.

We, as NFL fans, have seen the franchise QB effect of Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, et.

Barr took less money to come back and play for the Vikings. So....

Again, what Free Agents have picked other teams due to Kirk Cousins?

6 minutes ago, British said:

This is why the Vikings are the most purgatory team in the NFL. 

No Championship? No problem. 

It suits the Wilfs, it suits Kirk, it suits the front office, they all keep their sweet jobs.

It's not supposed to suit the fans. But maybe after this long the fans are getting Stockholm Syndrome.

It's easier just to accept the regular season is all one really needs. 

Like Cypher in the Matrix. It's easier to enjoy the fake steak than strive for anything better. 

We are less than two months into a new GM and Head Coach. Both of whom are highly thought of in league circles. It's not Stockholm Syndrome, it's realizing that it takes more than 2 months to implement a plan in the NFL, and that maybe fans should see what the actual on-field product looks like this year.

• Like 2

I'd like to think of myself as a neutral/optimist leaning Vikings fan, regarding roster construction, for the most part.

I'm optimistic for this extension because I believe the following.

• We now have a HC that is willing to communicate with the QB.
  • A big issue with the offense was 3-and-outs last year. I expect that to improve under KO.
  • A new voice on the defensive side of the ball. It seemed Zimmer's message was wearing thin and players didn't respond like they did in the early days.
  • With an average defense this team is in the playoffs last year. I'm still curious, like we all are, to see what happens with some defensive veterans. We have the opportunity to add a defender with 1.12 and possibly an impact FA on the defensive side of the ball.
  • Allows KAM not to rush the QB decision, I like the Smith/Mahomes comparison someone made. I actually mentioned that to a buddy via text last night.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Barr took less money to come back and play for the Vikings. So....

Again, what Free Agents have picked other teams due to Kirk Cousins?

Dude Barr doesn’t count. He’s been here for his whole career and he’s not even a top free agent any way. Who was the last top tier free agent we’ve signed since we got Kirk? I’ll wait… I don’t think the league and the players view Kirk as highly as you do. 

Edited by Purplepride323

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Dude Barr doesn’t count. He’s been here for his whole career and he’s not even a top free agent any way. Who was the last top free agent we’ve signed since we got Kirk? I’ll wait… I don’t think the league and the players view Kirk as highly as you do. 

Who is the last one we pursued that went somewhere else because of Kirk? I'll wait. I don't think the league and the players view Kirk as lowly as you do. Neither do the last two sets of Vikings decision makers.  

And the bit about Barr was in direct resonse to someone saying that we signed Barr to a worse contract than the Jets when, again, he took less money to stay in Minnesota. Reading is fundamental. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

We are less than two months into a new GM and Head Coach. Both of whom are highly thought of in league circles. It's not Stockholm Syndrome, it's realizing that it takes more than 2 months to implement a plan in the NFL, and that maybe fans should see what the actual on-field product looks like this year.

I call it mediocrity syndrome. Fans get so used to mediocrity they don’t want to be elite anymore. We’ve seen Kirk for the past 4 freakin’ years. How much more time do you need to see what the on-field product looks like?