Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It is ultimately a moot point,  but it is fodder for discussion.  However, to address @Old Guy's post, I'm not sure the organization is really committed to moving on from Kirk after this season. I think their ultimate goal has been to create flexibility with the roster, so they can move on if they choose to do so.  If Kirk continues to play like he has, I imagine they'll extend him another year (or potentially even 2). 

They want to find a successor in the short term, but having Kirk in tow gives them the flexibility to be patient until they find the right one.  And I personally think they have until 2025 to definitely find one. 

I think the ideal, however, is to find one in 2024.  Of course, they'll have to determine before the draft whether to extend Kirk or not (which I think they will).

If they do bring him back, they better get some defensive help and IOL help, or the team will continue to be what it is, good but not great. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Those guys are mostly in their prime, and have been in the league for more than 3-4 years. They aren't young. Do we really think what QB is in there matters to Darrisaw or Hockenson or Jefferson in their "development"? Really? 

Do we think it matters at all to the RBs, none of which are developing or part of the future (or we should hope not)? 

Osborn is gone after this year, right? 

Your position is that guys in their prime will somehow be hurt if Kirk isn't here this year, but will be fine w/o him next year? 

Were those goalposts heavy when you moved them?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I guess we disagree what young and in need of development means. But sure, just post like this instead. 

8 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

They aren't young. Do we really think what QB is in there matters to Darrisaw or Hockenson or Jefferson in their "development"? Really? 

I've never seen another poster get so easily offended after posting like this. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. Dismissive, snarky, etc. have a think about that.

You suggested that there was 1 young player on the offense - which was demonstrably false. Then you changed your argument - textbook example of moving the goal posts.

To answer your question - The QB 100% without a doubt matters in terms of player development. Players at the top of their positions continue to work and get better at things, that's why they become and remain great. They can't do that if they don't have a competent QB to help them get there. It matters who is playing QB for every. single. player. in that locker room. Players also don't develop on the same timelines. Guys like Mattison have never had a full season workload. Chandler is the same age and has a handful of snaps at the professional level, but he's not young or a player that needs to develop?

Players don't just level up to max like a video game. It's a team sport and they all need to rely on each other to execute and get better at their jobs.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I’m sure Jefferson doesn’t want to see a trade, going from Cousins to Mullins won’t help him get a long term deal. Jefferson seems to be a lock for 100+ yards every week with Cousins under center. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m sure Jefferson doesn’t want to see a trade, going from Cousins to Mullins won’t help him get a long term deal. Jefferson seems to be a lock for 100+ yards every week with Cousins under center. 

Also a reason Kirk wouldn't want to be traded. If he's truly playing for a last big contract, his best shot is right there with JJ.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Also a reason Kirk wouldn't want to be traded. If he's truly playing for a last big contract, his best shot is right there with JJ.

that, and Kirko is obviously getting a deeper understanding of the KOC offensive system. makes zero sense to start all over with a new coach and system, and not even have a brief training camp to try and learn it.

makes. zero. sense.

• Like 1

I think the one team that has started slow and could really use a good QB like Cousins under center to help save their season is the Vikings. It helps that they can fit him in under their cap, he seems like he would fit well in their locker room, and he would probably enjoy living in Minnesota (I think he has some part of his family that lives there). Imagine him and Jeffferson together on the field, what a pairing that would be! I bet he could be satistically one of the best QB's in the league! Just trying to think outside of the box...

• Like 7

4 hours ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

I think the one team that has started slow and could really use a good QB like Cousins under center to help save their season is the Vikings. It helps that they can fit him in under their cap, he seems like he would fit well in their locker room, and he would probably enjoy living in Minnesota (I think he has some part of his family that lives there). Imagine him and Jeffferson together on the field, what a pairing that would be! I bet he could be satistically one of the best QB's in the league! Just trying to think outside of the box...

Love this!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

Unfortunately at 0-3 and going on the road this week, then playing two of the best 3 teams in the league soon they could be staring at 1-6. He would fit better in a place like ATL where his wife/family is from and they are in first place in the division with a realistic shot at winning the division, while not really having a long term QB on the roster and cap space to fit him and his 3-yr extension in under

Edited by CriminalMind

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Unfortunately at 0-3 and going on the road this week, then playing two of the best 3 teams in the league soon they could be staring at 1-6. He would fit better in a place like ATL where his wife/family is from and they are in first place in the division with a realistic shot at winning the division, while not really having a long term QB on the roster and cap space to fit him and his 3-yr extension in under

Well be sitting at 1-6 or 2 and 5 and Vikings fans on FF will still be thinking we can make the playoffs.

Copium.

Edited by Sad People