Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

I'm 35. Do people not remember the last 30-ish years of Vikings football? Who was the best QB outside of Kirk since Fran? Daunte Culpepper in 2005?? Since I have ben alive I haven't seen a Vikings QB that is anywhere near what Kirk is. 

I won't comment on anything before 1995 since I never watched it, but looking at results, nothing remarkable has happened at the position in a long time. I hope the ancients correct me if I'm wrong.

Having a good team and a good QB are different.

Go ahead and get rid of Kirk, and have fun with a few more decades of  Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, and retirement-age rentals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

It is crazy to me that STILL, people want to dump the best QB the franchise has ever had. I felt tthat way 3 years ago and still do. 

No disrespect to Fran, but Kirk is far and away a better QB. 

No. Fran won an MVP and had thrown for yards than any QB in history when he retired. Fran is in the hall of fame, Kirk will not be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

It is crazy to me that STILL, people want to dump the best QB the franchise has ever had. I felt tthat way 3 years ago and still do. 

No disrespect to Fran, but Kirk is far and away a better QB. 

Wrong.  Fran took the team to 3 Super Bowls and held every major passing record at the time of his retirement, including the touchdown record he held for 17 years!  Tarkenton's mobility alone puts him well ahead of Kirk.  I am willing to say that Cousins is the 2nd best quarterback in team history, but the distance between 1st and 2nd is significant. 

• Like 1

I'm 35. Do people not remember the last 30-ish years of Vikings football? Who was the best QB outside of Kirk since Fran? Daunte Culpepper in 2005?? Since I have ben alive I haven't seen a Vikings QB that is anywhere near what Kirk is. 

I won't comment on anything before 1995 since I never watched it, but looking at results, nothing remarkable has happened at the position in a long time. I hope the ancients correct me if I'm wrong.

Having a good team and a good QB are different.

Go ahead and get rid of Kirk, and have fun with a few more decades of  Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, Tarvaris Jackson, Gus Frerotte, and retirement-age rentals.

Sure you have. Maybe only for single seasons, but Brett Favre and Randall Cunningham definitely had great seasons with Vikings, maybe even Jeff George belongs in the discussion .

I’m not trying to disparage Kirk, but we generally had a higher level of success in the 90’s with retreads than we have had with Kirk. I’d rather have a good team than a good QB. It’s not all on him, but we’ve been pretty mediocre as a team during his tenure.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 1

And in 3 years nothing has changed. At some point you need to move on. And you need to do it before you put the team in an even tougher spot to be competitive. 

Cousins is a good quarterback, I don’t think anyone would deny that. But he is a QB with faults and deficiencies, and right now this team is in a place where they need someone who can do what Cousins is deficient at.

It’s just time to turn that page. 

• Like 1

Like I said in the gameday thread Kirk is a good QB. However, expensive non-elite 36-year QBs are not the way to go in the current NFL. Something that is a little frustrating is some in the fanbase fear of being bad at QB and accepting someone average. If you believe Kirk is a great QB and can win us a Super Bowl I can understand and accept that logic. However, the fear of not wanting to go back to some dark ages of QB is something I can't accept. I'm 39 and the Vikings honestly never had a long-term franchise QB. Yet, they only had 1 top 5 draft pick, been to 4 NFCCGs, and have one of the highest win pct in the NFL since I started watching them at the age of 7. This franchise will never reach its full potential if stays comfortable being just good enough to not be an embarrassment. Wilfs, KAM, and KOC can't stay stuck in neutral  I prefer the Vikings draft a QB who can grow with this young offense. Kirk is set in his ways and at his age he's more likely to get worse, not better over the next few years. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

Stating that Kirk is a better QB than Fran should be in the Hall of Fame of Preposterous Statements. 

Fran just calling his own plays makes him a better QB than Kirk.  Don't even really need to get into anything else.  Kirk can't even call a play to down the ball when the pressure's on. 

But, Kirk is clearly the 2nd best QB that this franchise has ever had.  It's just unfortunate that this franchise wasn't the one that really developed him.  He's certainly gotten better at several things than when he arrived, but a lot of the major deficiencies he had when he arrived 6 seasons ago are still there today.  And the time has just come to try something different.

We shouldn't be afraid to do so either.  We're not 2 generations of Packers fans who have only known HoF-level QBing and probably sense some fear of what will happen when they don't.  We've already had decades of a lot of retreads and sub-par QBing.  We've been there before and still actually had quite a bit of success, even if it didn't include Super Bowls.  If it happens again, then so be it.  We're professionals at handling it.  But, it's worth the risk, because you never know.  They might actually get someone they can develop into an elite QB, which hasn't really happened since Fran (Daunte's elite play was so short-lived, I can't count it). 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Stating that Kirk is a better QB than Fran should be in the Hall of Fame of Preposterous Statements. 

Fran just calling his own plays makes him a better QB than Kirk.  Don't even really need to get into anything else.  Kirk can't even call a play to down the ball when the pressure's on. 

But, Kirk is clearly the 2nd best QB that this franchise has ever had.  It's just unfortunate that this franchise wasn't the one that really developed him.  He's certainly gotten better at several things than when he arrived, but a lot of the major deficiencies he had when he arrived 6 seasons ago are still there today.  And the time has just come to try something different.

We shouldn't be afraid to do so either.  We're not 2 generations of Packers fans who have only known HoF-level QBing and probably sense some fear of what will happen when they don't.  We've already had decades of a lot of retreads and sub-par QBing.  We've been there before and still actually had quite a bit of success, even if it didn't include Super Bowls.  If it happens again, then so be it.  We're professionals at handling it.  But, it's worth the risk, because you never know.  They might actually get someone they can develop into an elite QB, which hasn't really happened since Fran (Daunte's elite play was so short-lived, I can't count it). 

👏