Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

Cousins: "I would think it's a combination of factors, never any one thing. I do think the longer I play in the system with the same coaches, the same play caller, I would think it's always going to help be more consistent. I think you have to have more players around you, and I think Kevin gives me a lot of opportunities, too. When you have 45 attempts a game, it's different than at Carolina where I had 18 attempts or something. That's also always going to change your production. But really, whatever it takes to win."

"I torment myself because I look at the production and say, 'It should be so much better' – with some of the red zone stuff we've left out there and some of these interceptions that have been unlucky, you're just like, 'This should be so much better than what it is.' So, I appreciate you saying it's good, because I look at it and am like, 'Gosh, it needs to be so much better.' So that's kind of the way it'll always be, I guess."

vikings.com

• Like 1

I mean at one point is Cousins playing himself into a 2-3 year extension. Is that even a possibility? Would that disrupt the plan Kwesi had for Cousins. Can’t deny Cousins has been playing well but those missed opportunities. Really could see this team having an extra win or two if they had slightly better luck or even a little of it from last year. The schedule does lighten up and hopefully they’ve got a plan to reduce turnovers and score TDs in the red zone. And we’re turning it around without Jefferson.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I mean at one point is Cousins playing himself into a 2-3 year extension. Is that even a possibility? Would that disrupt the plan Kwesi had for Cousins. Can’t deny Cousins has been playing well but those missed opportunities. Really could see this team having an extra win or two if they had slightly better luck or even a little of it from last year. The schedule does lighten up and hopefully they’ve got a plan to reduce turnovers and score TDs in the red zone. And we’re turning it around without Jefferson.

This team should be, at worst, 5-2. But it’s been the turnovers early in the season that doomed them. They hung in there with both of last year’s Super Bowl teams and you can make a case that they should have beaten them both. This team can hold their own with Kirk at the helm. He’s shown last year and this year that he’s a top 10 QB in this league. He absolutely should receive a 2-3 year extension. But the Vikings should also have a clear plan in place for his successor. They don’t have that now. If they let Kirk walk, then there’s a very good chance they talk themselves into a QB they aren’t totally sold on. I’d far prefer they resign Kirk and give him the next two seasons for sure, but let him know they are drafting his eventual replacement and that year 3 will be an open competition, whether his successor is drafted this year or next. 

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The question is who will be willing to take that risk and how close are the price points.

I don’t think it will be about the money. He has enough of that. He’ll come back if he wants to play football again.

Edited by Worm Guts

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

is Kirko's career over?

how long does recovery take, if it's a minor tear or a full one?

Considering how much work Kirk puts into everything, there's no reason to think he won't work hard to come back from this injury, whatever the injury is.

Kirk is a pocket passer. His bread and butter isn't using his feet to avoid sacks and pick up first downs. Even if he doesn't recover 100% of his mobility, he can still be Kirko.

• Like 2

Like @SemperFeist already stated, this is a gut punch!! I feel terrible for Kirk. He’s a great guy and a very good NFL QB. He will be deeply missed and I wish him well. We may have seen the last Kirk in a Viking’s uniform. It’s difficult to process. Sad day for me. It’s time to regroup, come together and play our ***** off…for the team, for the fans, for Kirk.

• Like 2

I don’t think we’ll see Kirk play in purple again. But i do think he is a starting QB next season. Someone will offer him a big deal, even if it’s just a yr big deal. I think Vikings should turn their attention to Hall, and look to draft QB unless Hall completely balls out. 

very somber afternoon for Minny fans, because we went thru all the stages of emotions earlier today, and it will continue for a bit