Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

Long time lurker, rare poster. 

This is extremely heart breaking, I have always liked and supported Cousins. He has brought stability to a position that has been painful to watch since Culpepper. It absolutely terrifying me to think about going through the QB search again.

It's very sad to think that beautiful touchdown to Addison will be his last as a Viking. I would be open to a mid 1st rookie with Cousins back if heathly, I would much prefer to take a Mahomes route to developing a QB rather then the Bryce Young.

• Like 6

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins tore his Achilles tendon on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

Cousins has never missed a game because of an injury in his NFL career. He did miss a game in 2021 after contracting COVID-19.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/29/vikings-kirk-cousins-torn-achilles-report-out-season/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1rDIVbpTnL3fzghzamXSYd00-FgLd8F8Gg_JVbPZs5qmqk3Jnvawj7G4g

Edited by vike daddy

After his injury occurred, Cousins almost certainly understood the severity of his injury and what his teammates would face in his absence. But Cousins didn’t let that reality come crashing down on him when he needed help off the field. Right after Cousins sat in the injury cart on the sideline, he looked up and cheered his Vikings teammates on to finish off their crucial win.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/kirk-cousins-achilles-injury-cheer-cart-video-reaction-vikings-packers?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1APIO3e8phE_yLulLwnccWf29GgPKeW_aQwlENuTpyydIM601RVPTbvmE

• Like 4

How do free agents rehab? I wonder if he would consider signing a reasonable 1 or 2 year deal to consider having full access to the Vikings facilities.  Maybe he could be the bridge to a QB that they draft by I don't know if he would be ok with that.  He probably could still get some decent amount on the open market also but who knows

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How do free agents rehab? I wonder if he would consider signing a reasonable 1 or 2 year deal to consider having full access to the Vikings facilities.  Maybe he could be the bridge to a QB that they draft by I don't know if he would be ok with that.  He probably could still get some decent amount on the open market also but who knows

I believe he'd have to rehab himself once the new League Year begins since that's when his contract voids.   

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I believe he'd have to rehab himself once the new League Year begins since that's when his contract voids.   

But he could potentially sign with a new team right away and start using their facilities then? It'll be interesting to see how this plays out

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

But he could potentially sign with a new team right away and start using their facilities then? It'll be interesting to see how this plays out

Theoretically, yes.  I'm just not sure there'd be any team that would want to take on that responsibility...or cost.  We've seen several times over the past few years where teams want to wait until the player has rehabbed themselves before bringing them in.  

Edited by swede700

I think a lot of what happens with Kirk depends on Hall's play. I know everyone is writing him off but we've seen young QBs step in and perform well recently. If Hall looks pretty good I think we have to roll with the momentum in 2024 and say goodbye to Kirk. If Hall plays poorly, I could see them bringing him back for one year, giving a rookie QB a season to develop behind him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Those of you closer to Minneapolis, has Kirk had his MRI yet?  Any idea when repair surgery might be done?  I would think this week, no??

Nothing reported. 

O’Connell usually has his Monday media session around 2:00. I’m guessing we’ll hear about the MRI then.