Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

I call it mediocrity syndrome. Fans get so used to mediocrity they don’t want to be elite anymore. We’ve seen Kirk for the past 4 freakin’ years. How much more time do you need to see what the on-field product looks like? 

Lol. Kirk has gotten better each of those four years. I call it "Selective Blame." Fans get so used to hating a guy for no apparent reason, they forget that the defense was historically bad the last two years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I call it mediocrity syndrome. Fans get so used to mediocrity they don’t want to be elite anymore. We’ve seen Kirk for the past 4 freakin’ years. How much more time do you need to see what the on-field product looks like? 

That’s why Spielman and Zimmer were fired. To even think about blaming any of last seasons failures on Cousins is misguided. He has gotten better and it’s reasonable to think that will continue the next two years. Until the time comes, it’s up to the new GM to draft defensive talent (Spielman failed miserably at it post 2015) and find a long term QB (again, Spielman was terrible at this too). But for the time being, creating a winning culture needs to be valued since this team has only been in the playoffs 1 out of the last 4 years. Winning now helps accomplish this and I am not convinced that it will cost the team in the future. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Who is the last one we pursued that went somewhere else because of Kirk? I'll wait. I don't think the league and the players view Kirk as lowly as you do. Neither do the last two sets of Vikings decision makers.  

And the bit about Barr was in direct resonse to someone saying that we signed Barr to a worse contract than the Jets when, again, he took less money to stay in Minnesota. Reading is fundamental. 

Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Lamar Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Stafford, Dak, Carr and Kyler Murray are all better than Kirk. Get over it. He’s mediocre. Also to answer your question, we haven’t pursued any top free agents because Kirk has stripped us of salary cap flexibility for the past 4+ seasons. So yeah that’s why we haven’t pursued anyone. Common sense is fundamental. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Dude Barr doesn’t count. He’s been here for his whole career and he’s not even a top free agent any way. Who was the last top tier free agent we’ve signed since we got Kirk? I’ll wait… I don’t think the league and the players view Kirk as highly as you do. 

It should also be noted that they haven't had the cap space to get in a lot of battles over top-tier free agents since Kirk was signed, because they've targeted resigning their own over bringing in external free agents.  They did bring in Sheldon Richardson...while not a "top-tier" one probably based on your personal description, he could have gone elsewhere for more money and a likely starter job, but he didn't.  And let's not forget that Patrick Peterson wanted to come here.  

Edit:  And in your post above, I could taken at least 6 of those you listed and put them at the same level as Kirk or below.  I believe you just have a personal bias against him...which is fine, but at least you should acknowledge that it probably clouds your judgment a little bit.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Lamar Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Stafford, Dak, Carr and Kyler Murray are all better than Kirk. Get over it. He’s mediocre. Also to answer your question, we haven’t pursued any top free agents because Kirk has stripped us of salary cap flexibility for the past 4+ seasons. So yeah that’s why we haven’t pursued anyone. Common sense is fundamental. 

There are no upgrades to Kirk available. Common sense is fundamental. Get some. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It should also be noted that they haven't had the cap space to get in a lot of battles over top-tier free agents since Kirk was signed, because they've targeted resigning their own over bringing in external free agents.  They did bring in Sheldon Richardson...while not a "top-tier" one probably based on your personal description, he could have gone elsewhere for more money and a likely starter job, but he didn't.  And let's not forget that Patrick Peterson wanted to come here.  

Peterson came here because we were the only team willing to give him big money ... after all the top tier free agents were signed to other teams.

25 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Lol. Kirk has gotten better each of those four years. I call it "Selective Blame." Fans get so used to hating a guy for no apparent reason, they forget that the defense was historically bad the last two years.

You don’t think any of that bad defensive play is due to the offense’s inability to extend drives? We were one of the worst teams on third down last year. No defense will stand a chance. I don’t care if we have the best defense. If we can’t extend drives on offense, then the defense will get worn out. Fundamental football. I’m not a Kirk hater, I just think he is what he is. He’s mediocre and he needs the best team around him, just to get to the playoffs. It’s hard to put the best team around someone that is taking up a big chunk of the cap. So he’s definitely put us in a tough spot. 

Edited by Purplepride323

6 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Disagree on many of these names. Wilson has been on a regression, maybe a change of scenery helps. Jackson is a terrible QB but he runs well. Carr and Kyler are still below Cousins in my mind, neither has proven anything more than Kirk at this point. Granted, Kyler is much younger but he had a pretty epic mid season collapse and that should be help against him. Stafford and Dak are the same tier as Cousins, any of those three could win a super bowl in the right situation, which probably why they sort of sit in that fringe top 10 area. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Peterson came here because we were the only team willing to give him big money ... after all the top tier free agents were signed to other teams.

This is a reach. He explicitly stated on numerous occasions that he liked Zimmer, liked what he did with Terrance Newman, and genuinely liked MN.

Unless you have some other verifiable contradictory evidence that isn't conjecture on your part.

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

There are no upgrades to Kirk available. Common sense is fundamental. Get some. 

Russell Wilson literally just got traded and Deshaun Watson is available. You must be living under a rock in Kirk’s backyard. 

Edited by Purplepride323

Just now, Purplepride323 said:

You don’t think any of that bad defensive play is due to the offense’s inability to extend drives? We were one of the worst teams on third down last year? No defense will stand a chance. I don’t care if we have the best defense. If we can’t extend drives on offense, then the defense will get worn out. Fundamental football. I’m not a Kirk hater, I just think he is what he is. He’s mediocre and he needs the best team around him, just to get to the playoffs. It’s hard to put the best team around someone that is taking up a big chunk of the cap. So he’s definitely put us in a tough spot. 

How much of the 3rd down issue was that the playcalls were generally run-run-pass? The offense was predictable and behind schedule most of the time. It's not as simple as "Kirk can't convert 3rd downs".

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

I don't believe that's true that they were the only team willing to give him "big" money, which I don't think $10M for a CB necessarily even is.  And the reality is, he still called them.  

1 minute ago, Purplepride323 said:

Russell Wilson literally just got traded and Deshaun Watson is available. You must be living under a rock in Kirk’s backyard. 

Russell Wilson was traded out of the Conference and Deshaun Watson makes you lose both cap space and draft capital. So your problems remain. Plus Watson may still end up suspended. 

We also cut a guy last year for allegedly beating up a woman. Probably not going to bring in one who coerces them into sex. 

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This is a reach. He explicitly stated on numerous occasions that he liked Zimmer, liked what he did with Terrance Newman, and genuinely liked MN.

Unless you have some other verifiable contradictory evidence that isn't conjecture on your part.

A reach?

You are free to look up the date of PP announced agreement, and see as a comparison when the other agreements were made with the tier one free agents. 

Just now, CriminalMind said:

A reach?

You are free to look up the date of PP announced agreement, and see as a comparison when the other agreements were made with the tier one free agents. 

So just conjecture on your part - and that's fine!