Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

How much of the 3rd down issue was that the playcalls were generally run-run-pass? The offense was predictable and behind schedule most of the time. It's not as simple as "Kirk can't convert 3rd downs".

I agree that the play calling wasn’t great and that it got predictable at times, but when it’s 3rd and 12 and Kirk checks it down, that doesn’t help either. This is what I’ve seen from Kirk for the past 4 years. 

Just now, Purplepride323 said:

I agree that the play calling wasn’t great and that it got predictable at times, but when it’s 3rd and 12 and Kirk checks it down, that doesn’t help either. This is what I’ve seen from Kirk for the past 4 years. 

I don't disagree that he played too safe. I also think that some of those issues were products of coaching/Zimmer's expectations. We've not seen him play in a truly QB friendly offense with the kind of weapons he has now. If this season is more of the same, then this was a mistake and all of the criticism in this thread will have been warranted. I think we've just gotta wait and see, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't disagree that he played too safe. I also think that some of those issues were products of coaching/Zimmer's expectations. We've not seen him play in a truly QB friendly offense with the kind of weapons he has now. If this season is more of the same, then this was a mistake and all of the criticism in this thread will have been warranted. I think we've just gotta wait and see, though.

Yeah that’s understandable. I hope Kirk proves me wrong. I’m a Vikings fan at the end of the day. I just want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl before we die. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Dude Barr doesn’t count. He’s been here for his whole career and he’s not even a top free agent any way. Who was the last top tier free agent we’ve signed since we got Kirk? I’ll wait… I don’t think the league and the players view Kirk as highly as you do. 

Who was the last top tier free agent we've signed prior to Kirk being here?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Brett Favre?

OK. That's arguably true. He was certainly past his prime and had retired, but he still had a great arm and a pretty good season. I don't remember how much the Vikes paid him, but they had the benefit of not competing with other teams for his services.

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d go back further than that. Maybe Hutchinson. 

Favre was a big name, but he was only interested in playing in Minnesota. He wasn’t a league wide hot commodity. 

That knocked some dust off my brain. I'd forgotten about the poison pill deal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

While the team is more cap-restrained with Kirk on the roster, they don't have a tendency to pursue top tier FA anyway. Of course, that could change in the near future with Spielman out of the picture.

Why would it if we hired an analytics guy. Would seem he’d be more inclined on finding bargains than getting caught up with mega FA deals.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Why would it if we hired an analytics guy. Would seem he’d be more inclined on finding bargains than getting caught up with mega FA deals.

There are over 600 players set to hit free agency this year. There will be bargains to be had. 

Baltimore is the gold standard for how to approach free agency. 

• Like 1