Preston Smith Signs Extension with Packers

The Gnat

1 hour ago, StatKing said:
1 hour ago, Kparty15 said:

Yikes…. Zadarius Smith >>> Preston Smith

His back is a serious issue.

yeah.  Z having a back surgery in 2021 tips the scales a bit on the comparison.  

some get caught up in name only 

53 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Gary also played on a better defense and was able to rest/not play the entire game.

So what you are saying is he had a half more sack in fewer reps? 😂 I know what you are trying to say but I had to play the devils advocate a little. Initially I would have agreed on Burns but as they have developed I believe Gary was the better pick. I have not watched a ton of Burns but Gary seems to be a more complete player while also not losing anything in the pass rush aspect.

9 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

So what you are saying is he had a half more sack in fewer reps? 😂 I know what you are trying to say but I had to play the devils advocate a little. Initially I would have agreed on Burns but as they have developed I believe Gary was the better pick. I have not watched a ton of Burns but Gary seems to be a more complete player while also not losing anything in the pass rush aspect.

Burns was much better his 1st 2 seasons in the NFL, and was recognized as a Pro Bowl caliber player this past season over Gary.

But he does play on a bad team, and without much help from the offense, his team must constantly play from behind. He's done well with the odds against him.

I think if you flip the positions, Burns would be at TJ Watts level in GB and Gary is JAG in Carolina.

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Burns was much better his 1st 2 seasons in the NFL, and was recognized as a Pro Bowl caliber player this past season over Gary.

But he does play on a bad team, and without much help from the offense, his team must constantly play from behind. He's done well with the odds against him.

I think if you flip the positions, Burns would be at TJ Watts level in GB and Gary is JAG in Carolina.

That's fair although and I don't think Burns is a bad player at all I just feel in GB Gary is the better fit. When he was drafted I am thinking GB preferred the size of Gary to Burns. Gary is in the mold of Z. Smith where he can rush from the edge but has the size to move down and play on the inside. Burns at 25+ pounds lighter is likely to get eaten up on the inside. So that flexibility is a big factor in the selection.