Draft watch

Johnny Nix

With the season pretty much over, let’s start some draft talk y’all. Any prospects you’ve been intrigued by. Who are you’re can’t miss O-line prospects? Are Billy Price or Mason Cole immediate starters at the next level? What other needs besides O-line should be considered in round 1?

OT's: Trey Adams, Washington; Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame; Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State; Jamarco Jones, Ohio State; Orlando Brown, Oklahoma
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018OT.php

Brown has had some issues in pass protection, but he's a mauler in the run game.  I'd love to see him drop to rd 2 where we take him as a RT or a G, but I don't know how likely that is.  He seems to be dropping down boards though.

C's: Billy Price, Ohio State; Frank Ragnow, Arkansas
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018C.php

This site isn't a big fan of Mason Cole, who they say is smaller that what everyone is listing him at.  The combine will tell the truth about that.  They really like Billy Price though.

54 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

In the first 3 rounds

Here's what I would try to do.  Assuming we end up in the top 8 or so, grab McGlinchey to play LT or Brown to  play RT  If we got the LT piece, I would try like h3ll to trade up for Brown as well, including dangling next year's first. I'd dangle McCarron and next year's first or second to the Browns for a pick to nab Orlando.   In the second I'd take Price or ragnow.  In the third, I'd take a TE and another OT for depth, because I am cutting bait with Cedric and Andre.  Hyatt or Ivey would be my targets if they slip.  

So heres my two cents. I think that Mike Brown is not gonna go to the outside to hire unless its Hue. All the assistant coaches will remain the same. Marvin will look for an outside job but if he cant he will get some sort of job within the organization. We will select a OT in round 1 but he will play RT because Ogbeuhi has all the talent in the world. Bodine will get resigned and they will draft a rookie in the 4th-6th round to "compete". I do not see us going heavy on the O-line. I think they will invest a 1st, 4th, and 6th round pick on the o-line and try to sign some terrible free agent past his prime in free agency.

I hope I'm wrong though.

37 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Here's what I would try to do.  Assuming we end up in the top 8 or so, grab McGlinchey to play LT or Brown to  play RT  If we got the LT piece, I would try like h3ll to trade up for Brown as well, including dangling next year's first. I'd dangle McCarron and next year's first or second to the Browns for a pick to nab Orlando.   In the second I'd take Price or ragnow.  In the third, I'd take a TE and another OT for depth, because I am cutting bait with Cedric and Andre.  Hyatt or Ivey would be my targets if they slip.  

I know nothing of the names you threw out, but i like the approach.

17 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

So heres my two cents. I think that Mike Brown is not gonna go to the outside to hire unless its Hue. All the assistant coaches will remain the same. Marvin will look for an outside job but if he cant he will get some sort of job within the organization. We will select a OT in round 1 but he will play RT because Ogbeuhi has all the talent in the world. Bodine will get resigned and they will draft a rookie in the 4th-6th round to "compete". I do not see us going heavy on the O-line. I think they will invest a 1st, 4th, and 6th round pick on the o-line and try to sign some terrible free agent past his prime in free agency.

I hope I'm wrong though.

ugh... So depressing and probably correct..

I am with J.... tough to get excited about it unless ole marv is gone.

Obviously o-line is the biggest need.. I hope they do something in free agency (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha) and not just plan on the draft and what we have working.

49 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Just Marvin going won't do much for me.  Unless it's both Marvin and Paul Alexander, then I won't have much more hope than now.

well.. I was thinking ole marv and take all of his coaches with him.. I guess I didn't type out what I meant.. but yea, PA has to be gone too, he has done the worst job on this team of any of the coaches.

24 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

well.. I was thinking ole marv and take all of his coaches with him.. I guess I didn't type out what I meant.. but yea, PA has to be gone too, he has done the worst job on this team of any of the coaches.

Alexander had to be the guy championing Ogbuhi and Fisher that one draft.  He was the one who wanted Bodine and stubbornly sticks with him.  His hit rate on lineman outside of the top 40 is so spotty, the few who have actually been good after that in his tenure is so low a percentage that you could plausibly chalk those up to luck more so than identifying or developing talent.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Alexander had to be the guy championing Ogbuhi and Fisher that one draft.  He was the one who wanted Bodine and stubbornly sticks with him.  His hit rate on lineman outside of the top 40 is so spotty, the few who have actually been good after that in his tenure is so low a percentage that you could plausibly chalk those up to luck more so than identifying or developing talent.

And a few that were good never got PT and had to leave for greener pastures.

Archived