Draft watch

Johnny Nix

Even though I like Ward, wish we had more Ohio State players and think we need to pick up a corner somewhere, I'd be annoyed if we did it at 12. I can't justify 5 first round corners on the roster.  Maybe in round 3 if the value is good, but we're basically looking for someone to be inactive most weeks. 

Let’s say they grab a stud defender in round one, and both James Daniels and Brian O’neill are sitting there when the 2nd round pick comes around. In this scenario neither position was taken care of in free agency. Now this team needs a stud center but it desperately needs a left tackle. Daniels seems to be the higher rated player but it looks like a pretty steep drop off after O’Neill. He might take some lumps his rookie year but is getting comparisons to Staley. There’s a tiny chance he might be around in the third but it looks like there’s a better chance of Ragnow there or one of the other centers that will at least be a step up from Bodine (after his inevitable resigning.) 

So who does everyone grab?

9 hours ago, Futbudds said:

Let’s say they grab a stud defender in round one, and both James Daniels and Brian O’neill are sitting there when the 2nd round pick comes around. In this scenario neither position was taken care of in free agency. Now this team needs a stud center but it desperately needs a left tackle. Daniels seems to be the higher rated player but it looks like a pretty steep drop off after O’Neill. He might take some lumps his rookie year but is getting comparisons to Staley. There’s a tiny chance he might be around in the third but it looks like there’s a better chance of Ragnow there or one of the other centers that will at least be a step up from Bodine (after his inevitable resigning.) 

So who does everyone grab?

Daniels in a heartbeat

I was referencing the Glenn trade and Daniels hopefully being at the top of their board at 21. I wouldn’t be against Evans or maaaaybe someone similar and then hopefully price is there in the second. My first choice being Daniels and what that will look like for Mixon and Gio having a new C n T.

Is there any other LB’s at 21 worth that value other than Rashaan Evans? I like Vander Esch but not sure if that is too much of a reach. As for other defenders maybe Davenport or Landry, I seriously love Mo Hurst and Taven Bryan but would like to see if either is there in the second, and cb is always on their radar in the first.

8 hours ago, Futbudds said:

Is there any other LB’s at 21 worth that value other than Rashaan Evans? I like Vander Esch but not sure if that is too much of a reach. As for other defenders maybe Davenport or Landry, I seriously love Mo Hurst and Taven Bryan but would like to see if either is there in the second, and cb is always on their radar in the first.

I like Evans at #21 as well.  ideally, my strategy would still be getting a center and Orlando Brown in the first two rounds with a LB in free agency.  We shall see.  

Corner definitely looks more like a possibility here. Don't think Vander Esch is too much of a reach, but my phone just tried to auto correct that to "cancer each" so he'll need a nickname. Do we now have 3 5ths and 3 7ths? How far up can we trade with that?

New group of players to choose from, obviously any of the ones we were originally talking about in Vea, Smith, or James could be there. So at pick 21 here’s who the top guys could be:

- S Derwin James (still think he’ll be there)

- DE Marcus Davenport/ Arden Key

- MLB Rashaan Evans/ Vander Esch

- OT Mike McGlinchey/ Kolton Miller

- OG Will Hernandez/ Isaiah Wynn

- C James Daniel/ Billy Price

- DT DaRon Payne 

- CB Joshua Jackson

Derwin James falling there would be my dream. I really think he has the physical tools of Polamalu and the locker room presence/force of personality to really help change the second half meltdown tendency’s and perception of the team.

Archived