Draft watch

Johnny Nix

10 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I've watched 2-3 games of Andrew Brown now.  He's looked awful in all of them.  Can anyone point me to a game where he was actually good?

Progress: What has Brown been doing so well these past couple of days and has it come as a surprise to people watching him?

Joe Marino: “I think it stems from the reason that he was a five-star recruit. He’s so physically gifted, he checked in at a little over 6-foot-3, 294 pounds, and he had 85 1/3-inch arms, really good in terms of the thresholds that the NFL is looking for that position. He’s getting a chance to play in a completely different role than he did the last couple years at Virginia. He was playing as a two-gap and five technique, which really required him to be more of a point-of-attack player and hold the line of scrimmage and hold two gaps and he didn’t really get a chance to attack and play four, attack half a man — use his physical gifts that he has. It became really apparent immediately in practice that this guy has ridiculously good movement skills in terms of how flexible he is for his size. His hands are really powerful and they’re really quick. Getting the chance in the team stuff to play as a three technique in kind of a penetrating role where he’s getting to tap into those physical traits and cut loose, he really took advantage of that. I think what it came down to was that he was put in a role that really highlighted his strengths and he took full advantage. It’s really a contrast from what he was doing the last couple years at Virginia. I think that’s where he popped, it’s just being able to function in his most optimal role.”

Essentially his college position/responsibility did not suit his skillset at all. He was a 34 end responsible for two gaps. He’s insanely quick and twitchy, and is best at shooting through one gap and causing backfield disruption. He killed the senior bowl in this role. I wouldn’t invest too much effort looking for the positives in his game tape. 

I gotta say he was probably my favourite pick of our entire draft. I think he becomes an impact player for us on third down beside Atkins. Although I also thought that about Marcus Hardison who fit a similar profile.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillyM_91/status/957354356030009344?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-29864835443825893842.ampproject.net%2F1525381599226%2Fframe.html

Really good info to know on Brown @SmittyBacall

I knew he blew up the Senior Bowl practices, but didn't know about the scheme issues.  When I was watching him, he was getting destroyed by double teams.  Him trying to 2-gap is idiotic, let's hope we don't try to do the same thing.  I mean he was getting thrown around by linemen from Navy.  Let's see how he does trying to penetrate...

On 5/3/2018 at 6:35 PM, Carson4MVP said:

The kid from Missouri is intriguing. Big arm, and can move around in the pocket some. I'd want to see a big improvement on his 58% completion percentage. But the guy can make any throw. 

Sounds like Blaine Gabbert

Maybe Austin is an upgrade from Guenther and Pollack gets the O-line to play well. But if not, top 5 might be right. We're counting on a frequently injured LT and rookie center to upgrade a line which had problems at other positions too. 

55 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Maybe Austin is an upgrade from Guenther and Pollack gets the O-line to play well. But if not, top 5 might be right. We're counting on a frequently injured LT and rookie center to upgrade a line which had problems at other positions too. 

I agree. But unlike last year you can’t say they haven’t tried to fix it. 

I think everyone knew last years group was going to be a disaster, we were just hoping it wouldn’t be as bad as we all thought. 

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

Seen a bunch of mock drafts and season predictions that have us picking top 5 next year. Time to prove the haters wrong

I love to see the team getting no respect this time of year. Under the radar of the national media, expectations are low outside of the building so they can hopefully concentrate on what they need to do. 

I feel like we improved a 7 and 9 team, but that may not show in the record. That stuff annoys me though. Right up there with the idea that somehow Lamar Jackson was a sure fire franchise qb that we had to take at 21. Sure fire  franchise qbs go way earlier than 21.  

Anyway,  year out mock draft, I think the smartest thing to do is leave the order the same until play on the field dictates  change.  That way you aren't doing an unexplained power rankings and a mock. 

21 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We're counting on a frequently injured LT and rookie center to upgrade a line which had problems at other positions too. 

Glenn isn't frequently injured.  He's had one really bad ankle issue.  They went the rehab route after the final few games in 2016, but had to shut him down in 2017 (kinda like Eifert after the ankle issue at the Pro Bowl).  So "frequently" is pushing the realm over  false.

I agree we are counting heavily on Price, b ut can he really be as bad as Bodine?

I could see top 5 pick for us, although I'm predicting 8-9 wins this season for us.  I don't think outsiders understand just how big an upgrade it is to go from Bodine to Price.  I don't care if Price is a rookie and has never played a snap in the NFL, Bodine was hot garbage. 

But at the moment we have Hopkins taking snaps at Center because Price is hurt.  Let's see how that plays out.  If Price's "ready by training camp" injury which we've all heard before turns into him being put on the PUP list, then top 5 isn't out of the question.  We didn't improve enough elsewhere and while we did pick #12 last season, those last 2 games of the year caused a big swing...

I think this season rests on a few pivotal factors...

1.) The health of the offensive line

- Glenn and Price NEED to play 16 games for us to consider a winning season. We all know how drastically our line play impacts Dalton’s output as a passer. With a clean pocket, he can deliver the ball almost as good as anyone. But when he’s pressured, especially from the inside, the offense is completely out of sync and the results are catastrophic. Furthermore, we need to do a far better job of opening up holes for Mixon, arguably our second most talented player on offense. Our success also comes from a good ground game. Dalton, and any QB for that matter, is more efficient in 2nd/3rd and 5’s than 3rd and 10’s. Drives are already difficult to sustain. We can’t put Dalton in position to fail. Our team playoff aspirations ride on it.

2.) The health of weapons outside of Green

- We missed John Ross last year. There was a reason we drafted him in the top 10 to desperately open things up for Green on the opposite side. Too often teams eliminated Green with double/triple coverage and played man vs Lafell and our cast of “can’t-seperate-to-save-their-lives” receivers. Ross brings that element. Initial reports suggest Lazor’s offense will focus more on deep shots this season, straying from our traditional/outdated quarter long drive attempts. We need him healthy. And then there’s Eifert; the seam stretcher, the safety blanket. Another mismatch receiver, especially in the redzone, who needs to take pressure off Green.

3.) Four game start to the season without Burfict

- Our schedule looks pretty daunting. We have 6 really tough road games, and start on the road 3 out of the first four weeks. Starting 2-0 is pivotal heading into Carolina and Atlanta back to back. I can’t say i’m optimistic about those two games. We open our season with our star captain the first four weeks. Our stats without Burfict speak for themselves. A steady decline across the board in all statistical categories (except maybe personal fouls). The defense needs to hold and start the season on the right foot, because games after week 5 won’t come easy vs PIT, @KC, NO, @BAL, DEN, @SD, @PIT. Not to mention the improvements Cleveland has made and the prospect of splitting that series. The first four weeks could make or break the season. Ideally we start 3-1, worst case we start 1-3 and the season is essentially over in September.

On 3/23/2018 at 3:12 PM, Beck Bristow said:

Sure, but we're talking Nelson, Hernández and Wynn for sure as interior lineman expected to go before our pick in two, plus 3 centers. I don't think 5 interior lineman go in the first 45 picks. 

?

Archived