Draft watch

Johnny Nix

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

McGlinchy got beat like a drum tonight against Miami

Yup.  I spent the day just watching o-line prospects.  Brown looked very good.  Price handled his assignments.  Nelson is a stud., and was the only piece on Notre Dame's line that looked good.  Too bad Ragnow is out for the season, because Arkansas was on today in Richmond.  High ankle sprain, so it shouldn't be a factor this upcoming draft.  

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

McGlinchy got beat like a drum tonight against Miami

Yup.  I spent the day just watching o-line prospects.  Brown looked very good.  Price handled his assignments.  Nelson is a stud., and was the only piece on Notre Dame's line that looked good.  Too bad Ragnow is out for the season, because Arkansas was on today in Richmond.  High ankle sprain, so it shouldn't be a factor this upcoming draft.  I thought Ohio State's LT could be a good option for either side in round three.

What are the chances that the (hopefully) new coach gets Mikey to move on from Andy and draft his replacement? Get a mid first rounder for him and either use Mccarron as a stop gap for a year or trade him also for picks and go qb, OL, OL, OL, OL in the draft. 

And yes I know that the very thought is just setting myself up for the inevitable letdown.

1 hour ago, Futbudds said:

What are the chances that the (hopefully) new coach gets Mikey to move on from Andy and draft his replacement? Get a mid first rounder for him and either use Mccarron as a stop gap for a year or trade him also for picks and go qb, OL, OL, OL, OL in the draft. 

And yes I know that the very thought is just setting myself up for the inevitable letdown.

I mean, the team has like 47 other problems that are much worse than Andy.  Who has played pretty well this year.  I don't understand the desire to replace him and put a rookie QB in the middle of this trash team.

And i really don't understand the idea of a stop gap QB.  Andy can be that guy if the team turns around and they let him down again.  Or he could flourish with a HC that knows what he's doing.

24 minutes ago, theJ said:

I have a feeling i'm going to be saying the above a lot this offseason, aren't I?

The news of him selling his Cincy house won't help it.  But I would think with two young kids, he's moving to a desired school district.

Of course, it could also mean that the Browns trade fell through because it was supposed to be for Dalton

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

The news of him selling his Cincy house won't help it.  But I would think with two young kids, he's moving to a desired school district.

Of course, it could also mean that the Browns trade fell through because it was supposed to be for Dalton

Haha, i doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

Also, what did you do that post?

While I don’t blame him for most of the problems on the team I don’t see what you see J. Yeah his qb numbers aren’t bad but they don’t include what should be the weighted amount of bad throws/missed plays where he has time and what looks like his first read is open especially when the team really needs a play. I can’t blame him for all the three and outs but he def doesn’t get a pass. 

I feel almost like a turncoat because I really want him to succeed here and I’m not one to throw away loyalties easy but after watching him shrink away too many times in big games I just don’t know man. With a new head coach could that all change? Can’t say that I have confidence that change is possible.

22 hours ago, Futbudds said:

While I don’t blame him for most of the problems on the team I don’t see what you see J. Yeah his qb numbers aren’t bad but they don’t include what should be the weighted amount of bad throws/missed plays where he has time and what looks like his first read is open especially when the team really needs a play. I can’t blame him for all the three and outs but he def doesn’t get a pass. 

I feel almost like a turncoat because I really want him to succeed here and I’m not one to throw away loyalties easy but after watching him shrink away too many times in big games I just don’t know man. With a new head coach could that all change? Can’t say that I have confidence that change is possible.

I get it.  If there's a knockout slam dunk QB sitting there at their pick they probably have to do it.  And i don't have a problem with it.  But cutting him or trading him for a 4th round pick doesn't make much sense to me, if the backup plan is AJ McCarron or some journeyman.

16 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

If we can lose with him, we can lose without him. I think we need to do a full rebuild,  trading as many pieces as we can will shorten the rebuild process. Get as many draft picks as you can get. 

They won't get much for Dalton.  Strangely, i'm betting that McCarron would fetch more.  The promise of the unknown or some junk.

I'd keep Dalton and rebuild the rest of the team.  Only take a QB if they're picking high and the player they want is there.

16 hours ago, theJ said:

They won't get much for Dalton.  Strangely, i'm betting that McCarron would fetch more.  The promise of the unknown or some junk.

I'd keep Dalton and rebuild the rest of the team.  Only take a QB if they're picking high and the player they want is there.

Bradford was a 1st and a 4th I think? With the state of qb play right now and with Cousins prob out at DC his floor has to be a 1 imo. 

2 hours ago, Futbudds said:

Bradford was a 1st and a 4th I think? With the state of qb play right now and with Cousins prob out at DC his floor has to be a 1 imo. 

Well if you believe the chatter in this subforum, Dalton is trash and probably 3 tiers below Bradford.  Some people still think McCarron is better and should start over him.  To me, that means he doesn't fetch what McCarron gets.  Plus, contract, age, and perceived ceiling come into play here.

Personally, i don't think the Bengals would move him for anything less than two firsts.  They'd likely ask for more.  And he's not getting cut.  So he's going to be the QB next year.  So it's probably a waste of energy to discuss this.

Also, personally, i don't agree with what i typed in the first paragraph.  I continue to believe Dalton is a top 15ish QB in this league, maybe top 10, when he's in the right system.  But you could probably say that about a lot of the QB's in this league.  QB's really shouldn't be graded independently from scheme - it's that important.  This current scheme, and the 2016 scheme, aren't working for him.

Archived