Draft watch

Johnny Nix

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Well if you believe the chatter in this subforum, Dalton is trash and probably 3 tiers below Bradford.  Some people still think McCarron is better and should start over him.  To me, that means he doesn't fetch what McCarron gets.  Plus, contract, age, and perceived ceiling come into play here.

Personally, i don't think the Bengals would move him for anything less than two firsts.  They'd likely ask for more.  And he's not getting cut.  So he's going to be the QB next year.  So it's probably a waste of energy to discuss this.

Also, personally, i don't agree with what i typed in the first paragraph.  I continue to believe Dalton is a top 15ish QB in this league, maybe top 10, when he's in the right system.  But you could probably say that about a lot of the QB's in this league.  QB's really shouldn't be graded independently from scheme - it's that important.  This current scheme, and the 2016 scheme, aren't working for him.

I’ll give it half a chance that gruden gets Snyder to to go in on dalton in the offseason. 

22 hours ago, theJ said:

They won't get much for Dalton.  Strangely, i'm betting that McCarron would fetch more.  The promise of the unknown or some junk.

I'd keep Dalton and rebuild the rest of the team.  Only take a QB if they're picking high and the player they want is there.

I'd trade them both. Maybe not this offseaso. But move whichever one you can get the most for. Draft a QB in the first. Then sit them for a year behind whichever one we end up keeping. Move the other one next offseason. 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I've never been as high on McCarron as some.  Had when been able to get that 2nd and 3rd from Cleveland for him, I would have thought it highway robbery.

Me neither.  He was a clear downgrade from Dalton in 2015.  But he's the backup QB, so obviously he's the most popular QB in town.

Dalton is trash and can't make throws outside the numbers.  If you provide him with great receivers, a great OL, and a solid offensive scheme, he can be an above average QB but with that setup who wouldn't?  I'm tired of the OL, receivers, coaches, etc... all getting the blame.  Even with all of those things he's still not elite.  McCarron probably isn't the answer but I'd at least like to explore what he could do in this disaster of a season.

Ultimately, I'd love for us to draft Baker Mayfield or Lamarr Jackson in this upcoming draft.  If we can't get either, then just keep investing in the OL and hope the next head coach doesn't go full retard at halftime of every game...

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Dalton is trash and can't make throws outside the numbers.  If you provide him with great receivers, a great OL, and a solid offensive scheme, he can be an above average QB but with that setup who wouldn't?  I'm tired of the OL, receivers, coaches, etc... all getting the blame.  Even with all of those things he's still not elite.  McCarron probably isn't the answer but I'd at least like to explore what he could do in this disaster of a season.

Ultimately, I'd love for us to draft Baker Mayfield or Lamarr Jackson in this upcoming draft.  If we can't get either, then just keep investing in the OL and hope the next head coach doesn't go full retard at halftime of every game...

You’re high if you think they are drafting a QB

41 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:
  1. My drug of choice is Alcohol.
  2. Under Marvin of course not.
  3. Still holding out 3% hope the next coach will...

It took Marvin how long to gain some semblance of decision making and control in the organization. You really think Mikey is just gonna Hand Over the keys that easily? Plus Mikey is overly loyal to his players. Dalton is gonna be the QB till he dies. 

13 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

You’re high if you think they are drafting a QB

Yeah they're not drafting a QB.  At least not in the first round.

Problem is that if they do a good job fixing the offensive line, and the coaching is better, Dalton is good enough to get them back to the playoffs and picking in the 20's.  Hard to find QB's in that range.

I think Villian said it before but they are going to squeak by the bills, chargers, and ravens into the playoffs and obviously lose (which will not be Andy’s fault in the slightest). Mikey will give Marv another one year contract and will go:

1. cb

2. rb

3. te 

4. og 

5. s

6. ot

7. lb

maybe MJ is gone, Bodine gets a contract extension, and John Ross is still ‘not ready’ after rehabbing all offseason.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I’m starting to think CB might be a bigger need than we realize next year 

Kirkpatrick, Dennard and WJIII are all under contract.  And the team has an option on Jones.  Plus Josh Shaw and Russel (who hasn't played much).  

I think they're probably fine.  IMO.

10 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Dennard will be under contract still?

i also think we should look into drafting a MLB at some point, hopefully we can deal McCarron at some point or at least get a 2nd round tender

1. LT

2. C

2. MLB

3. G

Fifth year option.  Remember when they announced it how CJ exploded?

Archived