2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Did he actually say this?

As far as Juju, I think he is much better than people are giving him credit for but Ben wasn't capable of getting the ball to him consistently. I agree he isnt a #1 but he is our most reliable #2. If you're gonna give him or DJ a big contract it would be Juju without blinking.

Ever since AB went full CTE they have had problems identifying the right positions for the WRs. 
• No number 1 in the group

• DJ is a classic slot guy with some outside ability. 
• Claypool is a big seam buster slot guy. 
•Juju is a good number 2 who flexes inside really well. 
• Washington was a good downfield outside the numbers jump all guy. 

Meanwhile they used Claypool as Washingtons role, used DJ as a 1, and used Juju exclusively inside as a TE almost. And Washington was on the sidelines with his helmet watching a gadget/slot guy get used as a top inside option. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

As of right now I don’t think they are scheduled to be at any of the QBs pro days and they had very few combine official meets. 

I’ve got an eye on Nkobe Dean from Georgia. Haven’t picked up Bush’s option, haven’t signed or been linked to LB, and are sitting on the weakest unit of the defense. Just screams going there in the draft. 

We werent really linked to any of the FAs we have gotten so far, so thats not saying much.

There are still several very good vet ILBs in free agency.

I am not saying we wont draft one....but I think they will try to fill as many holes as possible before the draft in case they want to trade up for....someone.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Pretty sure DJ never said that.     I think thats speculation based on what others have been saying due to contracts we have seen guys like Christian Kirk and a few others get.

Why give either a big contract when neither deserve it?    

Again, you can blame Ben for Juju, and Im not saying it didnt hurt, but objectively, Juju is a limited player.  He has his strengths, but he has held himself back as well.      Im not totally against keeping him, but it better be a very reasonable deal....and if we do that, I really hope we trade one of the other two.

My point was, if I HAD to choose right now it'd be Juju. But I agree with you. 

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

Pretty sure DJ never said that.     I think thats speculation based on what others have been saying due to contracts we have seen guys like Christian Kirk and a few others get.

Why give either a big contract when neither deserve it?    

Again, you can blame Ben for Juju, and Im not saying it didnt hurt, but objectively, Juju is a limited player.  He has his strengths, but he has held himself back as well.      Im not totally against keeping him, but it better be a very reasonable deal....and if we do that, I really hope we trade one of the other two.

I blame Ben, the coaching, the positional building, and the positional group the most. Juju maximized his skill set and good for him for doing so. 

Ben not pushing the ball, having no over the top option, and surrounding him with 5 photocopies of himself is complete bull crap and a great way to ruin a promising WR. 

Part of me wants them to run back the WR room now that we have a QB that will be willing to throw past 5 yards and built around a run-action scheme. We do need an infusion of speed, because I think they were just flat wrong on Claypool's abilities after seeing him in shorts. 

They built a more of a 4-vert team, which matched Ben's style pre-injury....then they transferred to more west coast, short game and were saddled with players who work better down the field. 

DJ's fine at the X, but JuJu needs to work rails, seams, and overs. Claypool...well, I would like to replace Claypool, but his strength is getting that big body moving down the field. 

I don't hate last years group repeated (provided they get some Claypool/route runner or speed insurance) as long as they plan to work the ball down the field more. 

But I don't really know what Canada's passing game looks like. I am anticipating a ton of RPO's and short, space creating routes and schemes. If that's the case, I will miss you JuJu (and need a new jersey). 

• Like 1

Just now, wwhickok said:

I know one thing, if Juju leaves I'm not buying another Steeler Jersey.

Bell....Brown....JuJu...and a really cheap Duck (for the lol's). 

Yeah, I might be out too. 

I'm still really mad about the Bell one. It's a super sweet Salute to Service jersey. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Bell....Brown....JuJu...and a really cheap Duck (for the lol's). 

Yeah, I might be out too. 

I'm still really mad about the Bell one. It's a super sweet Salute to Service jersey. 

My AB one is a charcoal gray, black and yellow lined one, looks Sweat.

Then I have a Juju, Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Watt, & Franco Harris Jersey.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

• DJ is a classic slot guy with some outside ability.

His size screams slot guy, but his game isn't anywhere near that. He's an X guy all the way. Unless I have the X's, Y's, and Z's mixed up. He plays well as the outside guy off the LOS so he can use his quicks to beat the press. He's not nearly tough enough to be a slot guy. He panics around the trees inside. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Well at least we didn't re-sign Artie Burns. He just signed a 1 year deal with the Seahawks. 

They need to add at least 1 more starter worthy DB…whether it’s at SS or CB, before the draft.

• Like 1