2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

Just now, wwhickok said:

I suspect at least 3, maybe 4 guys from UGA will go in R1. It won't shock me in the slightest if it's more. 

The #1 guy on my wish list going into this draft tbh, is Nakobe Dean 

If Dean is more Roquan than Devin Bush I'm for it. Those little(r) guys kind of worry me. I like the 2-3 round ILBs from UGA a lot. Quay Walker and that other one. I can't remember his name. 

Just now, wwhickok said:

I hate to be that guy but I'm hopeful we don't bring back Edmunds.

I'd rather have Mathieu, no doubt, but I don't think we'll find any better options than Edmunds after him. Even in the draft. I like the kid from Michigan, but safety sometimes takes awhile to develop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If Dean is more Roquan than Devin Bush I'm for it. Those little(r) guys kind of worry me. I like the 2-3 round ILBs from UGA a lot. Quay Walker and that other one. I can't remember his name. 

I should correct what I said. My #1 UGA guy for us is Dean. In this draft, I want someone that makes us better.

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd rather have Mathieu, no doubt, but I don't think we'll find any better options than Edmunds after him. Even in the draft. I like the kid from Michigan, but safety sometimes takes awhile to develop. 

Unfortunately I agree but, I guess if it's Edmunds we can take solice in him knowing the defense as long as we add to CB

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

His size screams slot guy, but his game isn't anywhere near that. He's an X guy all the way. Unless I have the X's, Y's, and Z's mixed up. He plays well as the outside guy off the LOS so he can use his quicks to beat the press. He's not nearly tough enough to be a slot guy. He panics around the trees inside. 

He’s a slot guy where having an inside TE like Muth is helpful.  Like if we had a Dodson, I would line up Dodson and Juju outside, DJ on the slot on Dodson’s side with Muth inline on that same side, Juju alone.  Or put DJ in the slot on Juju’s side.  Dodson runs a deep post or flag or fly; Muth runs the shallow in, Juju the deep in, and DJ runs a slant out or slant post.

Of course that means a schemed WR set and we don’t do those.

14 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Dean’s tape reminds me a ton of Shaziers.  More so than Bush. 

• Like 2

DJ is an X receiver who I think could excel in the slot. But his ability to run a full route tree and, more specifically, win on his own is a big reason why he gets stuck there with our receivers. 

I would love someone like Dotson/Skyy Moore that I think could help make him a moveable piece, though. But JuJu and Claypool can't win single side consistently. 

• Like 1

I hope they do something with the RB room. don't necessarily have to sign a vet or use another mid-rd pick, but at least be really active during preseason by looking for backs who have been cut or are on the practice squad... their has be something out there that's better than Snell/McFarland.

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’m torn on this. I would love Haden back on a cheap deal but we essentially gave up 2 5ths for Witherspoon (trade and comp) and he’s way younger. 

I wouldnt say Id LOVE to have Haden back, but I kind of expected it might happen.    On a cheap one year deal, I dont really mind....but we still are going to have to draft a corner early.   

I just read somewhere that all the Steelers current corners ran pretty slow 40s.     They said Wallace ran a 4.64 or something.    Not that 40s mean everything, and Wallace has been good, but we may struggle even more with deep passes, especially if Wallace is our fastest starting corner.  We know Joe Haden struggles with go routes.

As for Witherspoon.....expected.   More absolutely gross mismanagement of our secondary by Colbert and Tomlin.     Trade two 5th rounders for a 9 game rental.   ******* embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

I hope they do something with the RB room. don't necessarily have to sign a vet or use another mid-rd pick, but at least be really active during preseason by looking for backs who have been cut or are on the practice squad... their has be something out there that's better than Snell/McFarland.

Im hoping they sign someone in training camp.   I doubt they sign anyone before the draft, and I dont necessarily blame them.    They could potentially draft a late rounder.

Snell and McFarland have both worn out their welcome.   Snell is as blah as they get, and McFarland has shown nothing since he has been here.   Time to move on....but I doubt we do.

• Like 1