Jets sign OG Laken Tomlinson

Bianconero

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Good signing. Juts a band aid for a couple years... but knows the system and wont take anytime to fit in. He's an upgrade over LDT. But I am interested if who gets moved to RG him or AVT. I'd imagine we move AVT to RG. I mean Tomlinson was the 11th best OG (that's both OG spots) in the NFL last year. I know AVT graded out great too, but we will see.

Yes it is a good signing, but you are correct it is just a band aid, he is thirty years old has a three year contract.  In three years we might have to replace him, because of his age in three years. But for now he should be a huge help.

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Yes it is a good signing, but you are correct it is just a band aid, he is thirty years old has a three year contract.  In three years we might have to replace him, because of his age in three years. But for now he should be a huge help.

I should've used a different word than Band aid, bc he's a great player borderline elite. So it's more than a band aid. This move reminds me of when we signed Faneca back in like 2008. Will be a great player for us for 2, maybe even 3 years. But obviously bc of age that will be it. But in that time with JD at the helm... you can bet the OL wont just get neglected. So I'm really happy with this.

We now have not just a good OL... but borderline great. Which is incredible for Wilson for starters. But great for Carter as well. 

52 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

3 years is plenty of time.  1 year is a band aid.  Better than a 4-5 year deal when play may start to decline.  I actually think it's smart.  

JD loves his 3 year deal that has an out after 2.

So do we move the established veteran or the second-year stud to RG?

My guess is we move the second-year stud because we don't know whether Tomlinson will be as good on the right side. Plus, LG is Wilson's blind side so you want the experience on that side.

This could turn out great, or (as usual) bust because nobody is able to make the transition to RG.

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think he still has anther 5 good years in him. Most of these OL guys play until 35 at a high level. Ya some drop off by 33 because in injury but I don't see that in him. 

That would be bonus if he lasted into older part of 30's but let's focus on first 3 years for Wilson's developmental process.

42 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

So do we move the established veteran or the second-year stud to RG?

My guess is we move the second-year stud because we don't know whether Tomlinson will be as good on the right side. Plus, LG is Wilson's blind side so you want the experience on that side.

This could turn out great, or (as usual) bust because nobody is able to make the transition to RG.

Tomlinson moves to RG.  End of story.