Free agency talk

Beck Bristow

35 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Any insight on Darius Phillips? 

He's a gambler on the field.  makes some plays, gives up some plays too.  he's explosive as a returner at times, but makes horrible decisions when to return or not, and had a case of the yips fielding the ball this year.  No one here is sorry that he will inevitably leave.  In fact, I can't think of any Bengals fan who has brought up the name.  

Maybe a change of scenery is exactly what he needs.  he's fine as a 4/5 CB with return ability if another team can put his head back together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

He's a gambler on the field.  makes some plays, gives up some plays too.  he's explosive as a returner at times, but makes horrible decisions when to return or not, and had a case of the yips fielding the ball this year.  No one here is sorry that he will inevitably leave.  In fact, I can't think of any Bengals fan who has brought up the name.  

Maybe a change of scenery is exactly what he needs.  he's fine as a 4/5 CB with return ability if another team can put his head back together.

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Prime target positions: CB, RT

CB: Donte Jackson, Kevin King, Ahkello Witherspoon, Maurice Canady, Eli Apple (as a CB4 if under $5 mil), Artie Burns, Tre Flowers

RT: La'el Collins, Daryl Williams, Morgan Moses, Riley Reiff, Trent Brown, Germain Ifedi

Bengals twitter thinks with cuts to Hopkins and Waynes, we still have about $25-$30 million in cap room to play with in free agency.  Also we are over a top 51 now, so every new signing you can subtract about 700-900k away from the cap hit as they will replace someone else on what counts towards the cap.

Those guys are where I'd be looking for moves.  And yes, all three CBs.  Plus a TE like Howard.

If they finish these moves off, they can extend Bates with whatever is left to make it all fit.  Cut waynes for sure, and Hopkins possibly/if needed.  I feel like they might keep him around as insurance for Carman.  If Carman hasn't turned the corner yet, Hopkins starts at C and Karras starts at LG.  If Carman starts at RT over Smith, they still need Hopkins anyway.  At least that's how I see them playing it, especially if they don't make a move on a RT in free agency.

26 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time. 

he's got talent.  but he lost the trust of the coaching staff here, and couldn't make the field.  it's a low risk option for some team out there that thinks they can turn him around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

he's got talent.  but he lost the trust of the coaching staff here, and couldn't make the field.  it's a low risk option for some team out there that thinks they can turn him around.

Thank you! 

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'd just add his last couple of years were a disappointment.  He looked like a steal and future starter his first season. But definitely needed to move on, he wasn't going to bounce back here.

1 minute ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd just add his last couple of years were a disappointment.  He looked like a steal and future starter his first season. But definitely needed to move on, he wasn't going to bounce back here.

Like mentioned above, he was a gambler on the field, and once teams got film on him they figured out how to exploit that.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Prime target positions: CB, RT

CB: Donte Jackson, Kevin King, Ahkello Witherspoon, Maurice Canady, Eli Apple (as a CB4 if under $5 mil), Artie Burns, Tre Flowers

RT: La'el Collins, Daryl Williams, Morgan Moses, Riley Reiff, Trent Brown, Germain Ifedi

Bengals twitter thinks with cuts to Hopkins and Waynes, we still have about $25-$30 million in cap room to play with in free agency.  Also we are over a top 51 now, so every new signing you can subtract about 700-900k away from the cap hit as they will replace someone else on what counts towards the cap.

I'm not convinced Hopkins is a cut at this point. If the resign Spain, perhaps but I expect Hopkins to make it to training camp based on what we've got now. He looks like the starter between Karras and Cappa currently. 

The Athletic had a piece saying Karras was going to play center for the Bengals. He played there for the Dolphins, then played LG for the Patriots. 

So we need another guard and a right tackle plus a backup QB, and a couple of CBs for free agency. Draft will have a DT, TE, and another CB. 

Any thoughts on why they are waiting to cut Waynes? They aren't going to keep him even if they strike out on signing another CB starter. 

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The Athletic had a piece saying Karras was going to play center for the Bengals. He played there for the Dolphins, then played LG for the Patriots. 

So we need another guard and a right tackle plus a backup QB, and a couple of CBs for free agency. Draft will have a DT, TE, and another CB. 

Any thoughts on why they are waiting to cut Waynes? They aren't going to keep him even if they strike out on signing another CB starter. 

They will cut him once they sign his replacement 

5 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

They will cut him once they sign his replacement 

this.  this is what they always do, and it drives people a little bonkers bc it's bad for the player.  but it's best for the team, so...

1 minute ago, theJ said:

this.  this is what they always do, and it drives people a little bonkers bc it's bad for the player.  but it's best for the team, so...

I'd feel worse about it if the Bengals didn't just give him like $30 million for 5 games the past two years