99% of you are going to hate this (offseason outlook involving Manning)

MikeT14

Okay, let's assume we lose Kirk. It happens. And let's assume the Giants hit the reset button. And we all know we don't actually ever hit a reset button.

What happens if we sign Eli Manning as a 1-2 year stopgap and draft Mayfield or Rudolph or Thorson to sit behind him? These are guys that we could probably get in rounds 2 thru 4 as of now.

Manning might want to play them twice a year, and even though he's older and can be just as frustrating as Kirk can be, is he that much of a drop off?

Some of you are screaming "Remember McNabb!?!?!" Yeah. I do.

Just curious some thoughts if we lose Kirk. 

1. Nelson

2. Mayfield/Rudolph/Thorson

3. Guice / Harris

Yes, it's the first three picks on offense, but I think the defense is fixable through FA. Maybe sign WR Jeffry if Eagles can't? Davante Adams?

What alternatives do we have to Kirk leaving? McCoy? Rookie? Bradford/Bridgewater/Keenum? 

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, let's assume we lose Kirk. It happens. And let's assume the Giants hit the reset button. And we all know we don't actually ever hit a reset button.

What happens if we sign Eli Manning as a 1-2 year stopgap and draft Mayfield or Rudolph or Thorson to sit behind him? These are guys that we could probably get in rounds 2 thru 4 as of now.

Manning might want to play them twice a year, and even though he's older and can be just as frustrating as Kirk can be, is he that much of a drop off?

1. Nelson

3. Guice / Harris

Yes, it's the first three picks on offense, but I think the defense is fixable through FA. Maybe sign WR Jeffry if Eagles can't? Davante Adams?

What alternatives do we have to Kirk leaving? McCoy? Rookie? Bradford/Bridgewater/Keenum? 

Bridgewater imo stays with the Vikings . I'm fine with Eli Manning coming if Kirk leaves but we would have to draft a qb because Eli isn't an elite or grea qb but we would provide him a good pass protecting OL with options .

47 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

1. Nelson

3. Guice / Harris

I don't really believe in the placeholder QB, if we drafted a rookie QB and lost Cousins I would just play the rookie.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't really believe in the placeholder QB, if we drafted a rookie QB and lost Cousins I would just play the rookie.

I am not opposed to it, and in fact I probably prefer it depending on the QB, but I know some of us think we are closer than others, and may see Eli as a possible viable option.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Eli is terrible. Just draft a QB and play Colt until he's either hurt or sucks. Which should be about a week or so. 

Meh, Eli is better than Colt. If we do ever actually rebuild though, then yes I would be okay with that.

Eli Manning:

• Age during 2018 season: 37
  • Cap value: $22.2M
  • Remaining bonus monies: $12.4M
  • Roster bonus: $5.0M (due 3rd day of 2018 league year, not guaranteed at this moment)
  • Cap savings if cut before roster bonus: $9.8M
  • Cap savings if cut after roster bonus: $4.8M
  • Has full no-trade clause

Could the Giants move on from that? I suppose. Other QBs on the roster are Geno Smith (free agent after this year) and Davis Webb (2017 3rd round pick). They would be in prime position to get a top of the market QB in the draft, but realistically they must invest in the offensive line instead. As it stands right now, they could be losing both centers and three of their five guards after this season. Oh, and the two guards who are staying? Adam Gettis (2019) and John Jerry (2020). Yeeeee. Their tackle situation isn't much better: Ereck Flowers (2020), Bobby Hart (2019), Chad Wheeler (2020), and Jessamen Dunker (2020).

If things don't change, it's arguable that they wouldn't have a starting caliber offensive lineman anywhere on their roster.

So, yeah, they could cut Eli and get a bit of space. Or they could ride him out one more year, protect Davis Webb (or their 2018 1st round QB if they decide to go that route), and build for the future.

One last thing: they don't have a running game either to speak of, so giving the reins to a rookie or zero experience 2nd year QB makes little sense.

If we lose Kirk, put me in the Lavar category, draft a qb and roll with McCoy. 

Whats the point in drafting a 2 or 3 year placeholder like Brees, Manning or Smith? So we can maintain the status quo? With any of those 3 QBs we will basically get the same results we are getting with Kirk only they are older. We'd stay around an average or a slightly above team and wouldn't have the long term hope we have with our current qb of developing with our young team into a contender super bowl contender.

For me it's either keep Kirk or draft a qb high and roll with McCoy as our likely 2018 day 1 starter

11 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Eli is done. Just start Colt or someone, take the high picks, build a solid team.

If we're going this route, I'd almost rather skip taking a QB earlier in 2018 and expect to tank for 2019.

The Giants have stated before that Davis Webb is their future QB and they know that Eli's time is fading quickly. 2017 may be his last. What that means is, its likely that Webb is starting in 2018 for the Giants. Their first pick this year is going to be an OT to replace Flowers. Flowers has been a huge disappointment. 

I don't see Eli pulling a Peyton route when his tenure is done in NY. I think he and his brother start a radio show and move on from football. 

I would rather not bear the brunt of watching Colt play with this team. I would play the rookie and let it go. Dont want stop gaps like Josh McCown. Hell, even if Kirk stays, I say draft a QB in the 4th just to get rid of Colt. 

Archived