JC Jackson sign Chargers

m haynes

24 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The secondary got torched by Josh Allen with JC imagine without

Elite QB's are going to torch you either way.. sort of feels like they would be better off getting middle of the road vets on defense and make your upgrades on offense at the top of the draft. 

The only way to stop today's offenses is the front four with help from a rushing edge.  That's it, end of story. Take the Rams without Donald, Brady or any other elite QB would destroy the Rams.  Take Mahomes in SB, Via and company drove him crazy. It had very little, who was playing in the secondary.

IMO  It doesn't matter who you have in coverage, they have no chance.

So with that in mind, Pats should draft DL or/and  Edge/LB, if they can't, they should concentrate solely on offense. Matter of fact don't even waste your time drafting a CB. Best EX Bills against the Pats. Mike Haynes could be on the field and still the Pats would have no chance!!!!

Play zone and prey the offense screws up, it the only way to stop them.  Look at the AFC and there QBs does it really matter who playing in the secondary!!!

Edited by m haynes

6 minutes ago, Dan33185 said:

Sucks to lose him, but that's a heavy price tag, can't blame the FO for not putting up that kind of money.

I think the only blame we can have is mismanagement of the CB position. 

• 2 years ago when they were rebuilding.. Gilmore should have been traded for more than a 6th if he wasn't going to have a future 
  • Last year when they had so much money JC should have been resigned on a front loaded deal .. or he should have been traded on his cheap contract if they didn't think he was worth top CB money 
    • Given that he only made 3M last year, they probably could have had a cheaper overall contract 
  • Most importantly was they should have been trying to draft more corners the last couple years.. did they really think Williams was going to step in and be a starting corner? Do they still think that? 
  • I fully believe they could have tagged and traded JC, but they didn't even try .. Chargers front loaded the deal because they knew BB wouldn't want to restructure a bunch of contracts to keep him ( I am assuming) 

They have now put themselves in a position where they have to pray that Booth is there at 21 or the CB position will be in shambles.. this draft has a decent number of developmental guys but not many that are going to jump in and start day 1. You could have Jordan Davis / Jameson Williams / Chris Olave /etc on the board with Booth and you've pretty much got to pick Booth. 

5 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I'd rather focus on getting younger and athletic on the front seven.

Do you have an example of what you mean when you say this? 

When i think get younger, I assume the draft.. and they didn't lose any picks for going after JC.. and if they had tagged and traded him they would have gained more picks. I can understand the thought process of invest in the front 7 instead of paying top tier CB, but if the plan was to do that they had a couple years to try and find replacements. 

Unless they can find a couple decent CB's, im not sure how they could draft a front 7 player over a similarly talented DB

9 hours ago, m haynes said:

The only way to stop today's offenses is the front four with help from a rushing edge.  That's it, end of story. Take the Rams without Donald, Brady or any other elite QB would destroy the Rams.  Take Mahomes in SB, Via and company drove him crazy. It had very little, who was playing in the secondary.

IMO  It doesn't matter who you have in coverage, they have no chance.

So with that in mind, Pats should draft DL or/and  Edge/LB, if they can't, they should concentrate solely on offense. Matter of fact don't even waste your time drafting a CB. Best EX Bills against the Pats. Mike Haynes could be on the field and still the Pats would have no chance!!!!

Play zone and prey the offense screws up, it the only way to stop them.  Look at the AFC and there QBs does it really matter who playing in the secondary!!!

I used to think an elite secondary was better to have than an elite pass rush, because the QB can just get rid of ball early, use a quick passing game. I've changed my opinion now. Ramsey was torched in the Superbowl, everyone thinks he's a top 3 CB. LA's pass rush was a handful. Check the SB before that, Tampa's pass rush won it for them basically.

We can make up for the loss of JC by having a competent secondary, but a really good pass rush. We don't have a really good pass rush though, that's the issue lol