Resurgence of Bounty Gate "argument"

Raves

Has anyone else noticed a spike in Bounty Gate arguments when talking about the Saints?  We had some Bucs fans try to use to it justify why Evans' hit was fine and just now I had a Bills? fan try to say that the Saints championship was due to Bounty Gate...  I can somewhat see why the Bounty Gate would be tied to the championship but it still doesn't make sense as we had the #1 defense in regards to turnovers and a top 5 offense.  It's just strange.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Has anyone else noticed a spike in Bounty Gate arguments when talking about the Saints?  We had some Bucs fans try to use to it justify why Evans' hit was fine and just now I had a Bills? fan try to say that the Saints championship was due to Bounty Gate...  I can somewhat see why the Bounty Gate would be tied to the championship but it still doesn't make sense as we had the #1 defense in regards to turnovers and a top 5 offense.  It's just strange.

Same reason people still bring up Spygate or Deflategate, as if either of those really gave the Patriots a competitive advantage.

If you find success and people are gonna look for reasons to crap on you, if logical reasons aren't strong they'll jump to illogical ones. 

1 hour ago, Raves said:

There's always going to be some fan somewhere that's more than willing to spew ignorance. I don't even respond to anything "Bountygate" anymore, just not worth my time. Gloss over to the next post.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

people still bring up Spygate or Deflategate, as if either of those really gave the Patriots a competitive advantage.

You don't think the Pats recording coaches signals on the sidelines, then syncing it up with all-22 footage to steal signals and recording practices didn't help them at all?

I'm sorry, but the NFL totally screwed the Saints with that. There was a clear lack of evidence (even if Greg Williams was probably guilty) and they just punished the Saints to send a message. There wasn't an increase in penalties for the Saints during that time, and it didn't really send any player out of the game. You can say what you want, but if the hits were illegal then they would have been penalized more often compared to other teams.

It in no way lead to us getting a title. What lead to us getting a title was a defense that got turnovers that the right time.

20 minutes ago, Jlash said:

You don't think the Pats recording coaches signals on the sidelines, then syncing it up with all-22 footage to steal signals

From my understanding the illegal part about what they did is where the guys filming were standing, not the act of filming itself. 

and recording practices didn't help them at all?

Was that ever proven? The guy who said it happened bailed on his own claim later, didn't he?  Unless we're thinking about different stories. There's been mountains of misinformation from both sides over the years. 

15 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I'm sorry, but the NFL totally screwed the Saints with that. There was a clear lack of evidence (even if Greg Williams was probably guilty) and they just punished the Saints to send a message. There wasn't an increase in penalties for the Saints during that time, and it didn't really send any player out of the game. You can say what you want, but if the hits were illegal then they would have been penalized more often compared to other teams.

It in no way lead to us getting a title. What lead to us getting a title was a defense that got turnovers that the right time.

^^I don't know where I saw/heard this stat, and I don't know where to look it up, so take this for what it's worth.
What I heard was, the Saints only had 2 personal foul penalties that season, the lowest in the league. (edit: maybe that was just Vilma, but I'm not sure)

So, the haters can hate all they want, but the bottom line is they were being coached to play hard every play!!! Not necessarily "injure" someone, but lay the wood on them!! ...you know, like football should be played.

If people don't like hard football, tennis is on ABC on the weekends around midnight.

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Was that ever proven?

Yes it was proven. There was a whole documentary on it, how guys would wear fake "Kraft Productions" shirts and claim they were shooting a documentary for his film company, but they were filming opposing coaches the whole time. Then that little weirdo who was Belichick's right hand man would sync the fake documentary footage up with the all-22 footage to figure out signals. 

As far as the practice taping, it happened, and all this led to the enormous fines and loss of picks for the Pats. 

They're still a dynasty, but those things definitely aided in a little bit of what they did.

Are we reallly gonna rehash this???

Any fan of an opposing team will always want to use it as an excuse and they could care less that the Saints were railroaded and Goodells ruling was overturned by Tags. They simply use it as fodder to get under ya skin and as an excuse as to why there team might or has lost to the Saints.

Saints fans know the truth and thats enough... Leave it in the past, dont allow opposing fans to throw shade on this season over something that never happened 5 years ago. When I hear fans pull the bounty gate card I laugh and move on because it tells me that, that person has ran out of excuses.

They can talk about that all they want if they're trying to discredit us, but it obviously didn't help us the last few years when we couldn't tackle anyone in the first place, forget injuring them. So either it doesn't actually give an advantage, or we just decided to start doing it again all of a sudden and that's why we're winning again.....

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

You don't think the Pats recording coaches signals on the sidelines, then syncing it up with all-22 footage to steal signals and recording practices didn't help them at all?

Of all the "gates", spygate might have given the most benefit.  But the Patriots would have dominated regardless, Bill and Brady were just better than everybody else.  

In the Saints case, bountygate helped nothing, and Saints have always been an offensive team anyway.  Yea, the 09 defense got lots of takeaways, but that offense was the best in the league and super efficient.  And bad Gregg Williams defense cost the Saints a potential super bowl in 2011.

Archived