49ers sign CB Charvarious Ward

49erurtaza

It's not Gilmore but it's the 2-3 year deal that @J-ALL-DAYand I wanted.

J said he was good with 12/13m for Gilmore and that's basically what we will spend on Charvarious. Sounds like it could be roughly 2 years for 13 a pop with year 3 at 16 when he is 29 years old 

We needed a vet CB to round out the room. We still need depth there, but now we can take a few shots in the 7th/udfa and see what sticks and not worry about spending premium draft capital at corner. 

Corners that are taken outside of the first round can take a long time to develop because it's a difficult position that requires such nuance. Charvarious is at the right age where his experience level has started to catch up with his physical abilities. 

I like contracts you pay guys for what they will do for you, rather than for what they did for their last team. His best football is probably ahead of him. 

He is a dawg. Lots of fight in him. I like feisty corners. He's not overly handsy even though he gets after it. 

So it's not exactly what we hoped for @J-ALL-DAY but it kinda is what we were hoping for. I think we all would have wanted to spend 9-10m for Charvarious rather than the 12/13 we thought it would take to get Gilmore, but this doesn't feel like too big of an overpay 

• Like 1

boom smile GIF

I said before free agency, give me Ward or Wallace over a guy like Gilmore. Young guys that are still ascending and should be cheaper. Have to see the contract to really gauge if we overpaid a little but Ward was one of the better CBs on the market. He was gonna get big money from whoever.

Think he'll really thrive with our front seven. And he's a all-around CB, which is another reason why I wanted him. He tackles and plays the run very well. LFG!

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I hate we can't just write "Ward" now without clarifying which one we are referring to. We need nicknames for one or the other!!!

Is Jimmie "Unbreakable" because he leveled up from being Mr. Glass?

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Also due to our scheme. We allowed that high of a completion percentage but still ranked 15th in YPA. That number should go down next season with Ward and hopefully Moseley being healthy.

I'd still like to bring back Verrett on a one year deal. Our corners are always getting hurt and if he can be healthy for ANY part of the season? That will be a big plus as he is probably still the best corner when healthy on the team. 

• Like 2

I'm with Crock here and I made mention to that last year as well. Thomas is clearly much more comfortable at the LOS, yet he was asked to play off man coverage for majority of the snaps and it clearly took him time to get comfortable there...And as we saw in the NFCCG, he's not fully there yet. We need to play more press coverage with Ward and Thomas. If we don't, then yeah, there were better signings out there than Ward. 

• Like 2