49ers sign CB Charvarious Ward

49erurtaza

Wasn't really high on dipping in the top end CB market so kind of meh on this signing. Like the player but would have been fine rolling with Thomas and Moseley and then resigning Verrett and getting a veteran at the 5-7 mil mark. And letting all four just battle it out in preseason. Looking at our past contracts i doubt it will be interesting to see what the splits are actually at.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm with Crock here and I made mention to that last year as well. Thomas is clearly much more comfortable at the LOS, yet he was asked to play off man coverage for majority of the snaps and it clearly took him time to get comfortable there...And as we saw in the NFCCG, he's not fully there yet. We need to play more press coverage with Ward and Thomas. If we don't, then yeah, there were better signings out there than Ward. 

Spags plays his share of off-man and zone behind his blitz packages. Ward definitely seems more instinctive and impressive in press-man but it isn't like Thomas where he's never done it before. I think he'll be fine in that regard but I've been begging for us to play more press-man on 3rd & Long with our pass-rush so hopefully this is a sign that we'll be leaning more towards that.

• Like 1

the_CW_Logo-1024x576.png

No way I'm typing Charvarius Ward every time, so I'll just call him the CW. Can't wait to see Ward and Ward in coverage, or Charvarius and Tavarius in coverage. He's the perfect guy to bracket receivers with.

On a side note, but slightly more relevant to football: in the highlights I watched, he actually turns around to make a play on the ball. I suppose all our DBs thought they had eyes in the back of their helmet last year, because they rarely turned around. Personally, I like the signing. Young and has experience. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

the_CW_Logo-1024x576.png

No way I'm typing Charvarius Ward every time, so I'll just call him the CW. Can't wait to see Ward and Ward in coverage, or Charvarius and Tavarius in coverage. He's the perfect guy to bracket receivers with.

On a side note, but slightly more relevant to football: in the highlights I watched, he actually turns around to make a play on the ball. I suppose all our DBs thought they had eyes in the back of their helmet last year, because they rarely turned around. Personally, I like the signing. Young and has experience. 

I noticed this as well. Seems to locate the ball well. His hands kind of suck, but he is a DB and number 1 job should be preventing the receiver from catching the ball; everything after that is gravy. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Reed is a good player so not surprised he got that. Played well to end 2020 and then had a good 2021 season. 

I'm definitely surprised. He's come into his own the last two years but 11 per good? Dunno about that...

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm definitely surprised. He's come into his own the last two years but 11 per good? Dunno about that...

I said earlier that as a general rule I stay away from SEA and NE CBs in FA. Bill and Pete are corner whisperers who always get great production out of guys who may not thrive elsewhere. 

DJ Reed has been phenomenal for seattle. It was actually quiet shocking how good he was. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I said earlier that as a general rule I stay away from SEA and NE CBs in FA. Bill and Pete are corner whisperers who always get great production out of guys who may not thrive elsewhere. 

DJ Reed has been phenomenal for seattle. It was actually quiet shocking how good he was. 

Apparently Ankhello didn’t hear Pete’s whispers