Lions sign WR DJ Chark

Louis Friend

12 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Good - it doesn't sound like the money is crazy and I like that it's a one-year deal. If we draft a receiver or two then having a guy like Chark keeps them from having to immediately ascend to that #1 role. 

ARE did say he wanted the Lions to sign 1 WR in free agency and draft 2 more. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Detroit added two void years to his deal, so he'll only count around $4M against the cap this season.

I dont love kicking the can down the road.  10M seemed reasonable and adding void years seems dumb unless we are pushed up against the cap.  Seems like we should be trying to get rid of dead cap and wasted space so we actually get to use our cap on players playing. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I dont love kicking the can down the road.  10M seemed reasonable and adding void years seems dumb unless we are pushed up against the cap.  Seems like we should be trying to get rid of dead cap and wasted space so we actually get to use our cap on players playing. 

We should also have much more cap space next season, especially if Goff is cut. However, if Detroit re-signs Chark next season, I'm sure they can work those void years into that extension. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

We should also have much more cap space next season, especially if Goff is cut. However, if Detroit re-signs Chark next season, I'm sure they can work those void years into that extension. 

I get that, but just seems pointless at this time given our cap situation now.  Unless we plan to spend big in free agency, why continue to extend cap hits further down the road?  Goff may get cut, he also may play well and be on the team.  I'd rather burn the cap space  now then in the future. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I get that, but just seems pointless at this time given our cap situation now.  Unless we plan to spend big in free agency, why continue to extend cap hits further down the road?  Goff may get cut, he also may play well and be on the team.  I'd rather burn the cap space  now then in the future. 

Especially if we don't plan on signing anyone. 

• Like 1