Week 10 GDT: Packers @ Bears, AKA NFC North Bottom Bowl 2017

MacReady

If we can't beat the Bears, we're finishing last place in the division for the first time since 2005.  We drafted AJ Hawk the following year.  We can't afford to draft another AJ Hawk.  

Bulaga out, first ever matchup between the Packers and the alleged future of the Bears organization.

Some people here have said Trubisky has looked good.  I don't see it.  He has zero receiving options and that can't be denied, but he's completing under 50 percent of his passes, hasn't gone over 175 yards and has a QB rating under 70.  He has played four GOOD defenses though (Ravens, Saints, Panthers, Vikings).  He's probably going to throw for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns in a breakout performance against us.  

Chicago currently ranks 11th in scoring defense.  Leonard Floyd and Pernell McPhee could be very difficult against who we put at right tackle.  

A win and we could get right back into overly optimistic mood with two EASY games on the schedule after (Browns, Buccaneers) and the POSSIBILITY of Rodgers making an unlikely push for the playoffs.    A loss here and McCarthy won't have many friends left here. 

22 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Bears are favored over the Pack for the first time in 9 years and will be a favorite for the first time all year on Sunday.

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/06/bears-to-be-favorites-over-packers-for-1st-time-since-2008/

Whose got the Pack in an upset?

Not me.   Especially on the road.  But that's okay.  If we crash and burn perhaps some overdue changes - especially at DC - will come about and we can get this ship righted before Rodgers retires.

11 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

The Bears are going to crush us, especially if they roll Hundley out there again, which they will, because Mikey is too damn stubborn to admit that he's a failed project.

Will it really matter who McCarthy puts out there under center?  With this defense even if we found a way to squeak into the playoffs as a WC after Ted signs a veteran QB to hold the fort down until Rodgers' collarbone heals we'll get bounced out anyway.   We're better off writing this season off as a bust, get a new DC in the offseason, draft a difference maker at EDGE and WR and go for it all with a 100% Rodgers in 2018.

GB needs to stick with Hundley to see if there is any development and progress.  Need to find out if he is worth keeping around as the back up in 2018.  2 games is a small sample size (I am excluding the MIN game as I think we have seen Rodgers struggle enough against that D on the road), but some development needs to be exhibited.   Some of that needs to be from the coaching and play calling aspect, some from the other play-makers on offense.

Give Hundley a shot the next 4 games to see what progress is made, if there is nothing there, then give Callahan a shot to see what he has.  

Unfortunately the 2nd half of the 2017 season will turn into the audition for a lot of young players to show their potential and for some older players to show they can still contribute at a high level regardless of who the QB is.  The end game result is likely less important than the game to game progression and development of players.  

WELCOME to the 1980's version of GB Packer football.  At least there is the silver lining that the 2018 GB Packers will have a upper tier QB in the fold.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB needs to stick with Hundley to see if there is any development and progress.  Need to find out if he is worth keeping around as the back up in 2018.  2 games is a small sample size (I am excluding the MIN game as I think we have seen Rodgers struggle enough against that D on the road), but some development needs to be exhibited.   Some of that needs to be from the coaching and play calling aspect, some from the other play-makers on offense.

Give Hundley a shot the next 4 games to see what progress is made, if there is nothing there, then give Callahan a shot to see what he has.  

Unfortunately the 2nd half of the 2017 season will turn into the audition for a lot of young players to show their potential and for some older players to show they can still contribute at a high level regardless of who the QB is.  The end game result is likely less important than the game to game progression and development of players.  

WELCOME to the 1980's version of GB Packer football.  At least there is the silver lining that the 2018 GB Packers will have a upper tier QB in the fold.

I don't think you can compare this version of GB Packer football to the mess we had in the 70s and 80s because of #12.  The other 12 we had (Lynn Dickey)  in the 80s was pretty good but not elite.

Just now, squire12 said:

Not if Aaron Rodgers opts out of his contract and becomes a free agent this offseason. 

56 minutes ago, squire12 said:

WELCOME to the 1980's version of GB Packer football. 

Disagree, the 80s Pack had six .500 or better season records. (Though this play is reminiscent of the 86-88 three years of 13-33-1 play).

The ARod-less Packers remind me of the 73-80 Packers, where we experienced 1 winning season (8-7-1 woo hoo) in 8 years and battled the expansion Tampa Bay Bucs for worst team in the NFL for a couple of years. 

This squad is as dull as those Eric Torkelson/David Whitehurst led teams and equally bad.   

Archived